knocking sound

viper srt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello guys,

there is knocking sound on my car, the sound is coming when i drive over street **** or a high area

its like some one knocking your door, exactly the same sound

i think its from the rear area of my car , so is this normal ? or what could be the possible cause?

by the way my viper is 2008 with 10,000 miles on it.

junior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had a similar problem, turned out it was one of the grease points that was blocked , so when i was greasing the grease didn't go in. i would start with that.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check the rubber bumpers on your rear hatch. When I drove my 2010 coupe for the first time I heard a slight thump every time I encountered a bump in the road. The rubber bumbers on my hatch were adjusted to short. The hatch was bouncing up and down ever so slightly and causing the thump.
Close the hatch and use a piece of paper to fit between the rubber bumpers and the area contacting the body. As soon as you feel resistance between the body and bumpers, turn the bumpers out half a turn and you should be good.

Reaction score
Any mods to the car?

Hello guys,

there is knocking sound on my car, the sound is coming when i drive over street **** or a high area

its like some one knocking your door, exactly the same sound

i think its from the rear area of my car , so is this normal ? or what could be the possible cause?

by the way my viper is 2008 with 10,000 miles on it.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 08 had the same sound as you discribed. I looked for the causes as the posts above.
Dealer fixed it under warrenty (new RR shock and lower bushing) took 3 weeks and they drove the car 57 miles.

Reaction score
I would get the car on the lift and do a through check of the lower rear ball joints. It could be they are dry or they could be just bad.

OP
OP
V

viper srt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks guys for your help

I will lift it on jacks and do troubleshooting according to your opinions, my friend has 2009 with the same issue and took it to the dealer and told him that they need to drop the rear differential assembly in order to inspect !! , and they say the possible cause is the differential mount :rolleyes:, but he didnt do it

junior

where is the location of the grease point ?

Mark the mods are : K&N intake, AMH and Borla catback

Faisal

OP
OP
V

viper srt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
then the sound disappear ? do u replace both shocks ? and how many bushing are there to be replaced ?

My 08 had the same sound as you discribed. I looked for the causes as the posts above.
Dealer fixed it under warrenty (new RR shock and lower bushing) took 3 weeks and they drove the car 57 miles.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the bolts and they are quality pieces, but that knock you describe does not sound like it's the bolts to me. With the (slightly undersize) stock bolts you can get a click now and then when they shift a few thousandths from one position to another inside the mounting holes (this is with mounting bolts torqued to spec). I would not expect a frequent knock unless the mounting hardware was very loose, which has been known to happen. If you're a perfectionist, I think the shock bolt kit is a good idea, but I wouldn't necessarily expect big changes in suspension noise from them as compared to properly torqued factory bolts in good condition. There is some variation in the upper shock mounts on the frame, so yours could have bolt holes on the large end of tolerances and be looser than average (or have been run with loose hardware for many miles), but that's a long shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456