KUMHO Tires, Getting out of the Viper biz ????

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard from a reputable source that KUMHO Tires is getting out of the Viper biz due to fear of Lawsuits

Well, I’ll call it a rumor cause I still can’t comprehend if this has actually happened and part of me doesn’t want to believe it.

I called our largest Tire Distributor site sponsor a couple months ago to check on availability of tires for the ViperDays event a week away. My main concern was Why have the KUMHO XS tires been on backorder for several months(now on closeout).

I was informed that Dodge & Michelin have been the targets of Viper Owners for lawsuits over… get this…

UNINTENDED OVERSTEER

AKA some no talent A$$ clowns are looking for someone to blame and sue over their loss from an accident where they lost control of their viper.:nono:

KUMHO caught wind of these pending lawsuits and didn’t want to have any part of it. Some tire distributors were ordered to momentarily quarantine all KUMHO tires in Viper size(335/345) until further notice. Last I heard Kumho XS tires are being discontinued in the Viper size. I assumed that this issue would not effect Kumho’s Track/Competition line of tires, but sadly I am surprised to see the V710’s currently listed as Closeouts on Tirerack’s website.

What is the latest? I’m not sure. If anyone would like to confirm my post, correct me, elaborate, and/or continue the story, Please do so.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I wrecked my Viper due to my driving stupidity, the last thing I'd do would be to sue Dodge & Michelin. Picture some dolt putting a bullet through his foot cause he had the pistol pointing at it and unintentionally pulled the trigger. Can he sue the manufacturer because he shot something he really didn't mean to shoot? (I guess if a lawyer smells money in it, sure, they wil sue...)

Same thing...if you get over your head in a Viper, it will probably not end well. That doesn't make it anyone elses fault but the driver's. Hopefully this lawsuit is not real...nothing showed up on a quick google search.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sign of the times.
Country is flooded with lawyers who will sue for any reason in the hopes of cashing in on some company with deep pockets, or settle to have it go away..

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Interestingly, I was discussing this same subject with someone else on another thread.

I heard that the a$$clown was suing Kumho [not just Kumho catching wind of pending lawsuits] and didn't want to deal with such issues anymore. I think the widest you can get going forward is 295 [after the closeouts are gone] because they are rear tire sizes for different makes. And this, I thought was only for V700's, didn't think they would apply that to 710's as well.

I really liked the V700's and am bummed by this. Ugh!

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You haven't heard? We live in "it's not my fault" America. Personal responsibility and consequences of ones actions can always be linked to the fault of someone or something else. Pathetic!!!!!!!

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes it's true Kumho is discontinuing production of tires in the rear size for the Viper SRT10. They are still making the 335/35R17 for the Gen 1 cars

Reaction score
I'm gonna guess it is the XS only as there are plenty of cars that can use the 700 and 710 sizes besides the Viper. The XS had been stopped for a while over a year ago because of this complaint and worry, but then was released for sale again. Kumho has decided that it is not worth the hassle for so few tires sold so they will just stop the street tire production.

Side note I know where there are 3 pair of the 345/19 rears if anyone ever needs to find some. I really liked the tire on my Viper once they warmed up.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You haven't heard? We live in "it's not my fault" America. Personal responsibility and consequences of ones actions can always be linked to the fault of someone or something else. Pathetic!!!!!!!

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Now we are well and truly f@%#ed. Now we are locked into Michelin's which are so pricey or NITTO's which ****!

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sign of the times.
Country is flooded with lawyers who will sue for any reason in the hopes of cashing in on some company with deep pockets, or settle to have it go away..

Jon, the lawyers can sue all they want. It is not them who awards the $ now is it? Now tell me who really is to blame?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, the lawyers can sue all they want. It is not them who awards the $ now is it? Now tell me who really is to blame?

Yes, juries are ridiculous. Originally a good idea but you can't count on 12 nitwits to even follow the judge's instructions anymore. In civil cases, they seem to be "bank tellers" more than "deciders of guilt"....

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Agree with above.

This entire country really needs a "loser pays" law for all lawsuits. I know it won't stop every law suit, but it should help. I think Texas passed something like this.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Politicians are Lawyers... Lawmakers are Politicians... Tort reform would be great but do we really expect them to tear up their own meal ticket...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Politicians are Lawyers... Lawmakers are Politicians... Tort reform would be great but do we really expect them to tear up their own meal ticket...

At some point, changes will have to be made if the majority of folks in our country would like to be able to pass our legacy on to their kids.

Changes like tort reform, welfare reform, pension / salary reform for the massive number of overpaid government employees, an out of control food stamp program, 2 year unemployment benefits (which really should be loans, not gifts), excessive union pay / benefits, CAFE standards that are becoming crazy, an EPA with far too much reach, term limits on congress / senate, taxes assessed on all of us, called fees, by almost every agency, etc., etc. as our country runs out of money......and some of the 50% of people that don't pay any taxes will necessarily have to.

F

FrgMstr

We can ***** all we want, but I put forth this thought about using a 335 width tire rated much better than the Invo.

I KNOW some folks in this forum have done this, but I could not get feedback from them.

Seeing that the Kumho XS is going away, I have been looking around and doing some searching here about the Nitto NT05.

I have found several threads about people talking about using these, but not much follow up and no pictures shown.

The NT05 is rated better for dry performance compared to the Invo, but the NT05 does not come in 345 rated width, but the tire sizes according to Nitto are VERY similar. I also see some folks talking about the Invo sidewall being too soft. And I am not worried at all about wet traction. The NT05 is quite a bit less expensive as well.

I have OEM 6 spoke 13x19 wheels seen in my avatar.

You must be registered for see images
NT05 Specs - 335/30ZR19 Outside Diameter - 26.89 Width - 13.31

You must be registered for see images
Invo Specs - 345/30ZR19 Outside Diameter - 27.17 Width - 13.35

Would love to hear your thoughts, hopefully some first hand experience and pictures if you have those. The Discount Tire reviews are stellar for the NT05, FWIW. Thanks. Did I mention pictures?:drive:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At some point, changes will have to be made if the majority of folks in our country would like to be able to pass our legacy on to their kids.

Changes like tort reform, welfare reform, pension / salary reform for the massive number of overpaid government employees, an out of control food stamp program, 2 year unemployment benefits (which really should be loans, not gifts), excessive union pay / benefits, CAFE standards that are becoming crazy, an EPA with far too much reach, term limits on congress / senate, taxes assessed on all of us, called fees, by almost every agency, etc., etc. as our country runs out of money......and some of the 50% of people that don't pay any taxes will necessarily have to.

You are so right about this... The fact that there are so many enablers for people that won't pull their own weight will inevitably be our demise. If you take away or at least better control these abuses we would all have a higher standard of living and would probably only need to work 25 or 30 hours a week. The irony is that these people and the enablers are so addicted to this crap that they demonize and attack anyone that even suggests a change. Well change is going to happen one way or another.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone correct me, because I don't have the answer to this. If Kumho gets sued over this, doesn't this become public info. post trial?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456