leather soled shoes

SRT²

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just signed up to this forum but have been reading it for many months. I am in the process of getting my own Viper but as of now I enjoy reading the excitement that all of the forum users have. Truly a great community.

I did want to share a quick experience that convinced me it was time to get my own Viper. Ever since the first Viper came out I have been a fan and started buying (or getting as gifts) the hot wheel versions and worked my way up to the 1/18 scale and said I would not stop until I had the 1/1 scale real version.

A couple of months ago I attended a conference for one of my clients in Laguna Beach California and since I was in a location that rented great cars I went ahead and rented a red Viper convertible. The guys at Hollywood rental were great and delivered the Viper right to my hotel bright and early one Sunday morning. After getting over the shock of the fact I was going to be able to drive such a fine performance vehicle (ok and that I just signed my life away if anything happened to the Viper) I slipped in to driver’s seat and headed down the road.

I have a 300 SRT8 so I have some knowledge of a little power (425hp) and my father is a big older muscle car fan but after getting a little road time (a couple of hours) a had a little fun. It’s true the 06 viper is a beast with 505 horses.

I took a drive down to Lego Land (had to get a picture for my little boy in front of the sign) and then since the traffic was backed up heading north on I-5 I decided to head south and ended up turning around in San Diego. I did run across a couple of other vipers and both were nice with friendly waves. Heading back to Laguna Beach I turned off on an exit headed to the PCH. The turn off went under the interstate and what a rush hearing the roar of the Viper thru the enclosed underpass. Headed up the PCH and going thru some smaller towns I pulled up next to a another nice parked car. A guy was taking a picture of a yellow Lambo but as soon as I pulled along side it at the light he started taking pictures of the Viper I was in, in fact the whole time I was riding around I had several people that complimented me on the car and were taking pictures.

I ended up heading into LA and taking the drive down Rodeo drive (they took pictures of the Viper there too). Heading back to Laguna Beach with the top down (it was down all day) you could hear the roar of other high performance cars and it was a great feeling that I was in one also.

All in all I spent 12 hours, put 500+ miles (yes I had to pay a penalty for the extra mileage, oh well) and 3 tanks of gas.

The only mistake I made with this experience was that I wore my leather soled shoes and my clutch foot suffered with me putting a hole in the bottom of my shoe, I small price to pay for such a great time.

Sorry for the long winded story but with all of the post I have read on this forum it seems that everyone likes to hear the good times that people have in the Viper.

I was officially bitten!

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well SRT2,

That's a great first drive....so what did you like best?

a) the feeling of the car?....it reminds me a lot of what the Cobra was originally designed for...no cupholders, just a HUGE engine with nearly unlimited potential in a chassis that rewards those who learn to drive it.

b) the way it perked up your day? .....for me, I can have a really bad day, arrive home in a cruddy mood and before I even have to take a breath and put on a smile, I see my Viper and remember "it ain't all that bad!" that Viper is mine!

c) the performance value? ....you can buy a Vette and you'll have a good time...but it's not very exclusive and can really get lost in traffic....you can sink a lot more money into a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, etc. and won't gain much in performance....let alone neck snapping, jaw dropping comments like "it's a Viper!!"

There's lots of reasons, but everyone has their own.....so what Viper are you looking for? a new '08 with 600 hp? a Gen 3, Gen 2 or Gen 1

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
S

SRT²

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was a great first drive! I liked everything about it, except for the traffic I was caught in.

I am trying to hold out for an 08 version, but we will see.

Thanks for the feedback.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on your SNAKE BITE, SRT2!!! You had a GREAT time, and that was a good story...thanx for sharing...good luck with your purchase of your own personalized Viper~~~welcome aboard! ~juli~
(Once you get bitten....ahhh....you've got the FEVER!!)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats.

My first drive in a Viper (and was also the first time I ever sat in a Viper) was a 1,200 mile drive from Detroit to Tampa. That was 107,000 miles ago.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats.
My first drive in a Viper (and was also the first time I ever sat in a Viper) was a 1,200 mile drive from Detroit to Tampa. That was 107,000 miles ago.

And, did you burn a hole in YOUR shoe??!! Keep racking up those miles, Chuck--we love your car!~! ~juli

OP
OP
S

SRT²

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats.

As soon as mine comes in I’ll be adding the miles to it. (with rubber soled shoes this time)