Let's have a little contest!

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Let\'s have a little contest!

Yo Big, which CHI area dyno are you on? Maybe we can stop by and say hey. A couple of us are at Street Stuff tuning this Saturday....if you're there too it'll be a Viper mornign for sure!

not in CHI town drumr. car is in st louis at joe donovans. maybe see you at fudruckers for august meeting?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doh! You said that, I forgot.

Good luck wit it this weekend, and we'll see you at Fudds.

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

want to keep you all posted on what is going on, and let you know i havnet forgotten you, and the contest is still on. ;)

last week joe called and told me everything was installed and he would be doing a pull on saturday. he did one pull and had to abort for some reason. he did another pull and the blower belt broke. :evilmad:

joe was able to finally track down a blower belt and it came in the mail on tuesday. i am hoping joe will be tuning this weekend.

will keep you all posted.

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

update from joe for you contest participants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey John,

Well, I got back on the dyno today….We need to talk about a few things… First, never run platinum plugs with a supercharger !!! I made my second pull and found those when I checked the plug read. The tips come off with the additional heat from the blower….it could have been a disaster if I wouldn’t have caught it.

Second, the tensioner set up is not the most ideal set up either, it hops the belt at high rpm. We need to think about a manual adjuster. Hopefully it never breaks again for your sake. Third, the two fuel pumps pull too much amperage for the 25 amp fuse in the factory setting. I had to step up to a 30 amp fuse which is higher than the wiring rating…it could potentially melt a wire.

Fourth, remember how I told you I heard a squeak at idle on the first pull? I thought it could have been the belt before it broke….after I put the belt on, it was still there. Well on the third pull, it bent a push rod…..I had some other stock rods laying around and slid one in….guess what ? The squeak is gone. I took the other side apart and found another that was slightly tweaked, so I replaced it also.

OK, now we are back to making pulls and the car flutters on boost at 11-12 psi. I found the by pass valve had no vacuum line run to it. I added that, which will help the cruise portion of drivability, but won’t effect WOT. I need to adjust the valve to delay the release point to build more boost, but I don’t know how much you motor will take on pump gas….I am going to move it to 15 psi and finish making the pulls on 104 octane gas.

I also found the air filter 90 degree elbow ***** in under boost….we need to change that because it will restrict the amount of incoming air….another potential problem.

Anyway, I wanted to give you a heads up on progress, but it was too late to call. It starts to make good power and then the by pass starts bleeding off boost and the gauge starts to flutter and you get a big dip in the curve. When it starts to build boost again the power starts up again. If I keep it fat, 11.5 to 1 it builds boost slower, it is not as noticeable. but when I bring up the air fuel to 12.2 to 1 and roll in the timing curve, it builds 13 psi by 4000 rpm and falls on its face. I will start on it again tomorrow, but I have a car to tune from Milwaukee in the morning first.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

the email goes on about some hp and tq numbers, but that part is TOP SECRET for now. i could tell you, but then i would have to send JUCD VPR to hunt you all down and kill you. :D

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< Third, the two fuel pumps pull too much amperage for the 25 amp fuse in the factory setting. I had to step up to a 30 amp fuse which is higher than the wiring rating…it could potentially melt a wire. >>

have you other blown guys run into this problem, and what is the solution? i guess just run a bigger wire?

newest pics.

7911wow_1-med.jpg

7911wow_2-med.jpg

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

update from joe for you contest participants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

the email goes on about some hp and tq numbers, but that part is TOP SECRET for now. i could tell you, but then i would have to send JUCD VPR to hunt you all down and kill you. :D
Haha yah thats right :2tu: ! I'll be home soon boys only a little over one month left. 2 weeks of leave ahh i can't wait! My Viper misses me!
So did i win yet? :cool:

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

UPDATE

i am getting alot of questions lately about the car, so here goes.

as of right now, we broke another blower belt and we are waiting on a replacement. the belt tensioner is on a spring that appears isnt strong enough. under big boost, the tensioner doesnt hold the belt down tight enough, and it starts to slip, thus tearing up the belt.

we are going to a slightly smaller belt to tighten it all up a bit. lets hope this works and i can drive my car yet this year!

ADDED NEWS BULLETIN!!

my "prize" winner will actually be picking out their choice from a small list of about three items i have chosen.

AS AN ADDED BONUS - OUR FRIEND AB, will be throwing in a free set of his SPARK PLUG WIRES! YIPPEE! THANK YOU AB!

i will keep you all posted!

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BIG~ you better get your car running before i get home. Only 28 more days man. Hurry.
You want me to call Joe and yell at him? LOL
Thats cool of Ab to throw in a set of wires!

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BIG~ you better get your car running before i get home. Only 28 more days man. Hurry.

Jim, if i have to - i will CRAWL to belleville to meet you and buy you that beer i owe you!

(do you have joes phone number or shall i give it to you?) :D

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jim, if i have to - i will CRAWL to belleville to meet you and buy you that beer i owe you!
Cool, but i'd prefer you have your car so we can go cruisin! Wanna race? haha

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i say we give "PINKS" one heck of an episode!! what do you say? :D

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd say "ok" but the bank owns my car lol

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd say "ok" but the bank owns my car lol

mine too for only one more year!

i guess i need another one next august!

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you ever get your car back? What were the numbers?

gawd - where do i begin?

without boring you or everyone to death with the ugly details, the answer to your first question is no, not yet.
You must be registered for see images

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok, I want some of the "ugly" details(slow day :D ). Atleast what power did it make on pumped gas? :2tu:

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< Ok, I want some of the "ugly" details(slow day :D ). >>

just all kinds of problems that keep coming up. the system was basically a piss-poor design that we keep having to correct. as soon as one item is corrected, another pops up. i think all the bugs will eventually get worked out. but neither joe or i were expecting a mess like this.

<< Atleast what power did it make on pumped gas? :2tu: >>

still waiting to find out.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ok Since you have no ACTUALLY released the #'s is it too late to guess??

if not I guess

796 hp 847 tq

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This game is taking WAY to long......
BIG~ Do you have ANY idea when it MIGHT be done?

i talked to joe today. he has a couple of new ideas to try to get these final (hoping) bugs worked out. crossing my fingers. right now we have a belt that is walking on us. pulley pieces are being machined as we speak that will hopefully keep the belt in place and not allow the belt to get torn up during boost.

this friday has to be the final day. if the car isnt running by this friday, i will have to bring the car home and wait until next year to get these problems worked out. joe is doing a good job, but i was out of budget a few weeks ago. :crazy:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i talked to joe today. he has a couple of new ideas to try to get these final (hoping) bugs worked out. crossing my fingers. right now we have a belt that is walking on us. pulley pieces are being machined as we speak that will hopefully keep the belt in place and not allow the belt to get torn up during boost.

this friday has to be the final day. if the car isnt running by this friday, i will have to bring the car home and wait until next year to get these problems worked out. joe is doing a good job, but i was out of budget a few weeks ago. :crazy:
your going to bring the car home even if its still not running? Is there an alternative, maybe not pushing so much boost, or does it tear up belts no matter what?

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

your going to bring the car home even if its still not running? Is there an alternative, maybe not pushing so much boost, or does it tear up belts no matter what?

i really dont have a choice. if i am running out of money, i am running out of money. i really do not want to put joe or myself in an awkward position when he comes to me for payment on the work he has done. unfortunately my pockets are only so deep. sheesh, who do you think i am - a marine guard at an embassy in New Zealand? ;) :D

besides, the car has sat all summer long anyway and nothing different will be happening by letting the car sit at my house. it is already dipping into the 50's here at night. very soon the car will be sitting till next spring. i have accepted that seat time for this year is about finished. if we get it running by this friday, i prob only have a couple weeks of seat time at best. i think it is best if i bring it home and let joe get some work done on other cars that have been waiting and who probably got put off even further by my car.

besides, do you think this will be the first winter i sat in my car in the garage and made car noises? :rolleyes:

:D

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i really dont have a choice. if i am running out of money, i am running out of money. i really do not want to put joe or myself in an awkward position when he comes to me for payment on the work he has done. unfortunately my pockets are only so deep. sheesh, who do you think i am - a marine guard at an embassy in New Zealand? ;) :D

besides, the car has sat all summer long anyway and nothing different will be happening by letting the car sit at my house. it is already dipping into the 50's here at night. very soon the car will be sitting till next spring. i have accepted that seat time for this year is about finished. if we get it running by this friday, i prob only have a couple weeks of seat time at best. i think it is best if i bring it home and let joe get some work done on other cars that have been waiting and who probably got put off even further by my car.
Haha yah i hear ya. Well i will keep my fingers crossed that it will be running by friday :)
Hopefully shes running good and we can cruise around together. :2tu:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess I better get in the game, here's my guess.

780/820

and I definitely want a trip outta this if I win.

how about Skip Barber school?

or the Mario Andretti Racing school???

:headbang:

OP
OP
big-n-italian

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess I better get in the game, here's my guess.

780/820

and I definitely want a trip outta this if I win.

how about Skip Barber school?

or the Mario Andretti Racing school???

:headbang:

LESLIE WINS! :D

(leslie knows i have been trying to find SOMEONE to do the mario andretti racing school with me!)

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ps - i must be honest and tell you all that there are no tickets to HAWAII for the winner. if someone can convince me how Hawaii is viper related, i might reconsider. not. :D

[/QUOTE]

I was there a few months ago and there was a Viper for rent. :shocked:
So, with that, I guess 735hp and 745tq.
Did I win!! :nana:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Got my fingers crossed for you John. Not sure when winter sets in where you are but here, I get away with leaving the Viper on road till some time in November.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please put me down for 699rwhp and 695 rwtq. With some timing back in, you might see a little bit more, but i'm guessing just shy of 700.

accepted?

i'm running out of money and need new plug wires! :)

JD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456