Letting an interested buyer drive your car

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys think about letting an interested buyer drive your car. No just a tire kicked, but a person who flew into your city from out of town where the price was agreed upon prior. Not just a party from the street?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was a buyer like yours, traveled from houston to florida to buy

the way we did it was to complete the sale, and then after driving it (without damage implied) if i found a problem he would refund money

there was a level of trust for sure

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you guys think about letting an interested buyer drive your car. No just a tire kicked, but a person who flew into your city from out of town where the price was agreed upon prior. Not just a party from the street?

When you are talking about someone driving your car, are you thinking by him/her self or with you along as a passenger?

I'd consider it ONLY with the owner along, but likely not at all. Better to drive them around. Also depends on the potential buyer...but that decision can get you into trouble.

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You go with them of course, and again not just a average joe. I just sold my 06 paxton a couple months ago and the buyer flew in from CA. I let him drive it, not crazy. I just wondered what everyone thought.

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was a buyer like yours, traveled from houston to florida to buy

the way we did it was to complete the sale, and then after driving it (without damage implied) if i found a problem he would refund money

there was a level of trust for sure

A lot of trust, keep watching the thread i have more to add but want to go step by step? See what you guys think.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I sold my Viper to an interested out of state buyer I let him drive the car with me in it and only after I found out he owned a different high HP vehicle. He did not get on it at all, so after a while I asked him if he wanted me to take him for a "spirited" drive and he agreed. After I took a 55 mph curve at 110mph he said "OK that's enough". I took him back, I went down from $52K to $50K, he had a cashiers check already and he drove the car home :D

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I flew out of town to buy mine. We talked for a while and he let me drive it with him in it. We came back, I gave him a check, and we were done.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would advise against it. There are plenty of threads/posts where someone lent their Viper to a friend/family member and the car got wrecked because they didn't know how to handle it.

For me, it makes little difference that you are sitting in the passenger seat as you cannot do anything from there to stop an accident...worse, who wants to be in the car when it gets wrecked!:crazy2:

I owned Corvettes for years, much tamer than the Viper, and I never let any potential buyers drive it...I would always offer to take them on a good ride - side roads, highway and the like - until they were satisfied (or not) with the car.:drive:

At the end of the day, it is your car and your insurance if the car is damaged or wrecked. The potential buyer now decides not interested and you are left with a damaged/wrecked Viper.:nono:

That's my 2 cents, you decide! :eater:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"NO" is my own answer.

As I have posted before: 50% cash deposit to see the car, another 50% cash in advance if the party wants to drive the car.
After that, it's theirs either way.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't drive my GTS until the title was signed over to me, and I bought it from my neighbor I have known for years. I rode in it while he drove. I completely understood. I wouldn't let a buyer drive it until the deal is done.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my car in NC, I met the owner at his office building. We talked in the parking lot, he showed me the car and handed me the keys and said he'd see me when I got back :omg: FWIW, I didn't drive the car hard at all...wrecking the car I knew I was buying was not on my "to do" list that day.

For me, the only way I would do it is if I went as a passenger, and this is assuming I trusted the person buying it (knowing he had other high HP cars, etc).

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll throw an alternative opinion into the mix just for fun. When I went to look at mine before I bought it I didn't ask to drive it for 2 reasons. One is that I was 25 at the time, and even though I was serious about buying it I felt uncomfortable asking. The second was that I didn't want to be worried about other traffic around me being in a car like that where I had limited experience driving it. I preferred the owner to take me for a ride so I could concentrate more on how the car felt & acted on the road.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on the verge on selling my Paxton car, and I've been thinking about the same thing. Until there is definite proof of a pending sale, and at the very least a deposit, then I might...I would advise not to get into boost, I'll be the one who does that..yanno?

If the potential buyer is coming from another Viper, I think that's a different scenario too

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody denied me a test drive when I was shopping. Some came with me and a few just let me take it to my surprise but I drove everyone even if I really wasn't interested. I wasn't looking at cars anywhere near $80k though. I do recall hearing of at least two instances where cars were crashed during test drives but they were at car dealers.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the best compromise is to let the guy drive it with an understanding it is just to see how the basics of the car are for him (seat, visibility, and to get the feel for it). He did fly in from out of town, after all. Then you take him for a more spirited drive. Plus no one knows what your car is capable of except you. So you are the one who should show him what it can do.

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a question for the guys who said no, you would buy a car for 80 without driving it?

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine wasn't 80k.

But, I was 100% set on a Viper. So in that sense, yes, I would buy it without driving it first.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have sold two other high horsepower cars and neither purchaser drove the car first. One didn't even come to get the car himself. He just sent a transport. The other guy drove up from New Orleans. I took him for a very spirited drive to show him that the car did, indeed, perform as I promised. I asked him if he'd like to drive it. He said, "hell no. I'll wait until I get home. But here is my check." I did at least make him the offer, though.

That said, I wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first. No way. Someone else can drive around issues that I would be able to feel if I was behind the wheel. If I was selling a stock Viper to a guy that just sold a blown Viper, I wouldn't have a problem letting him drive it while I rode shotgun. But I would not be inclined to let an 18 year old kid drive it at all.

I guess I figure if I'm a Viper owner, flying 1000 miles to see another Viper, with cash in hand, the seller should let me drive it. I would wonder what they were hiding if they didn't at least let me take it for a short spin. I'd let a mature Viper owner drive my Viper if they flew in from out of town to buy it.

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a question for the guys who said no, you would buy a car for 80 without driving it?
How many have purchased, and not even seen the car in person, let alone drive it. This could be new or ??
Internet sale, dealer sale and delivery or other ??

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have brought 3, 2 sight unseen and 1 I went myself. The first 2 I paid someone to fly out and bring the car back so they were able to look at it first. So really none I guess.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't most of us that purchased, bought our cars without driving them first......

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a related note, it is a rare motorcycle dealership that will allow you to test drive one of their bikes before the title is signed. Generally it's a three day return policy, you get to test drive after you bought it, and return it without damage, of course.

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Haven't most of us that purchased, bought our cars without driving them first......

At the time I purchased my (used) Viper, I had never even sat in one, let alone driven the car. However, I purchased it through Bill P. at Woodhouse, so the trust level was pretty high. If it were an unknown, private seller I would have insisted on a ride-along at the very least.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the first that I have seen this on the website where somebody says: "Haven't most of us bought without driving it first?"

My answer to that is, yes. I bought without driving. Took a trip IN the car, put it up on a lift, the whole deal. Never drove it, though.

I remember the "leap of faith" that I took. Most likely it is the most unfun thing I ever did with the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte