March 14, Standing Mile Event in Sunny South Florida

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted everyone to know that we're hosting a Standing Mile Event in South Florida and wanted to make sure everyone in the Viper Nation knew about it. There are only a handful of places in the U.S. that you can acutually do this, but there is only ONE place that the road is like glass, and it's down here at this 2 mile airstrip. There's no feeling like going down a runway, with your foot pegged as far as it can go, with no fear of getting any speeding tickets, all in a very safe enviornment.

It takes place Sunday, March 14, 2010. If you'd like to spend the weekend down here, there's also a track day at the newly renovated Palm Beach International Speedway, which is a beautiful 2.2 mile road course on Saturday March 13. The cost of this track day is $299 less $25 (VCA Discount).

I'm also in discussions with Steve Sharples and working out something with Dodge, and they will be sending something special to this event to run, and as well, many other special speed shops will be in attendance.

This will be a great event, so I hope you'll beable to attend. Please feel free to send an email to me if you have any questions. [email protected]

Please visit TOP GUN RUN for more details.

Hope to see you at this event!

OP
OP
I

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to be able to do that :cool:

Hey, you only live once. Make it happen!

BTW, I'm in contact with the people who built Jay Leno's Jet Bike and they are considering coming to this event.

There's also a Ford GT that is rumored to have over 1800HP and trying to beat the TT Supra that currently holds the record of 246mph in the mile. He's going to be present as well.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh man I would looooooooovvvvveeeee to make this event! My paxton will be back to me on Thursday so if all goes well it will be tuned and ready to make a trip down south.

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys are lucky to have a such event !!!

In Cali, we have a similar event called 'Mojave Mile' but the

dreaded 28 pages long safety guide lines requiring fire

extinguisher, 5 point seat belts, roll cage/bar, nomex fire

suit and etc are just too much of hassle for me to see my

car run down the airstrip... :crazy2:

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan, you can count me in. If you own a Viper and live within 200 miles of this event you need to sign up. No real skill needed just you and your car going as fast as you can in 1 mile.:drive:

OP
OP
I

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are lucky to have a such event !!!

In Cali, we have a similar event called 'Mojave Mile' but the

dreaded 28 pages long safety guide lines requiring fire

extinguisher, 5 point seat belts, roll cage/bar, nomex fire

suit and etc are just too much of hassle for me to see my

car run down the airstrip... :crazy2:

Yes, I'm aware of that event, but by the time you're done with their requirements, you've hacked your car to the Nth degree. I believe that those rules are for older cars that aren't built for speed like the newer cars. Afterall, Vipers and other supercars are all built for speed, and the 200 MPH mark.

Our event takes place at what I believe is the nicest runway strip anywhere. It's still an active airstrip so I know it's far, but well worth it to do this.

OP
OP
I

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan, you can count me in. If you own a Viper and live within 200 miles of this event you need to sign up. No real skill needed just you and your car going as fast as you can in 1 mile.:drive:

Ray,

Looking forward to it. Are you bringing the ZR1?

FYI, I'm in discussions with the company out of Louisiana that builds the Jet Bike. They are considering coming down here for a high speed run.

We are also looking into moving the speed traps to the 1.5 mile mark (half mile shut down) to see if those of you who need a bit more room to get your actual Top Speed, can attain it. That'll be in the late afternoon after everyone's done.

OP
OP
I

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be there, no ACR this time, GT-R or Gallardo....

Gallardo for sure. Gotta do the before and after. In the afternoon, we're moving the finish line an extra half mile down to see if everyone can go faster. Obviously it depends on the gearing. How are your tires?

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im gonna try to get to this one but only as a spectator.

gonna try and get a ride in one of the cars.... :)

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are they going to allow heads up racing this time?

I went January 1st and they DID NOT allow us to run cars heads up. Only 1 car at a time can go down the mile.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if you got challenged by a Roe car?

:D

lol, i know all too well a few roe guys who would have at it if i brought mine down, including YOU my friend.

and i still owe you some beer IIRC

but id ***** slap those roe's all over the place (excluding the 1/4 mile track) cause homie dont play dat :)

OP
OP
I

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are they going to allow heads up racing this time?

I went January 1st and they DID NOT allow us to run cars heads up. Only 1 car at a time can go down the mile.

The airport DOES NOT allow for side by side racing. At the Top Gun Run event last November 14, Max from Mile Marker 1 was there at the starting line the WHOLE time just waiting for the right moment to spy on the event, looking for something to video tape so show fault. It just so happened that they did allow for a worked up GTR to run against the fastest car of the day, a DLM TT Gallardo. The Gallardo won by a long way.

Of course, the following week, Max ran over to the airport management to show his spy video of the head's up run.

It was NEVER the intention to run a heads up race; it just was a spontaneous decision and it happened. If it was done the right way, we may have been able to do it more, but I guess Max feels a bit threatened by others who are putting on a quality event.

Mile Marker 1 should worry about not using a radar gun to measure speed. That was a big joke at their first event.....

And when they finally got the proper timing equipment, they didn't even know how to set it up. After their "research" they discovered that the MPH was off by .033 per mile. So they say. They obviously have timing issues, and anyone who's run with them will never get a correct time.

All I know is that Mario is working in conjunction with the ECTA (East Coast Timing Association) to enable anyone to set records at this venue, something very important for Land Speed Racers. Keith from the Maxton Mile will be there to assist in data recording and welcoming new LSR participants.

There will also be some very fast motorcycles, including a Turbo Hayabusa that will run over 260 MPH in the Standing Mile. FYI, he makes over 650HP. On a bike!!

Hope to see you there!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant