Methanol

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with methanol in their water/**** injection systems? I'm not talking about windshield washer fluid, which I'm guessing even the best ones have a pretty low methanol content. It looks like you can purchase straight methanol for about $10 per gallon plus shipping. I know for me, one fill in my water/**** container is going to last a long time, since I don't get the opportunity to get deep into boost all that often. I'm just curious to see who has used it, what timing changes they made to the car with it and what HP gains you got.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, I use it all the time. It works fine an can add tons of octane. It's a lot cheaper than buying windshield washer fluid and leff chance of clgged nozzles.

$10 is kind of expensive. I pay $5 per gallon and you can get it at a local derby go cart supplier.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ab, What ratio mix are you running and what is it about the WW fluid that clogs the nozzles? :usa:

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to find a good, local race shop. I only pay $2.50 a gallon. I think the shop I found sells dirt/flat track supplies.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I use maybe a 50/50 mix or 25/75 mix. All depends on the yearly temp outside.

As far as windshield washer fluid clogging the nozzle, it can but it's not something I would worry too much about...the nozzles you can take apart and clean them. Air gun helps in this also. I like to know what mix I am putting into the car...with windshield washer fluid...it's kind of hard to know the mix. Rather be safe than sorry.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I would worry about clogged nozzles if I am into a high boost and no injection, won't I blow my engine? AB, are their filters that can be installed?

FLX109

OP
OP
M

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking for some specific numbers where people tested the system with just water and then with a good amount ****. AB, how long have you been using water/****?

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use maybe a 50/50 mix or 25/75 mix. All depends on the yearly temp outside.

As far as windshield washer fluid clogging the nozzle, it can but it's not something I would worry too much about...the nozzles you can take apart and clean them. Air gun helps in this also. I like to know what mix I am putting into the car...with windshield washer fluid...it's kind of hard to know the mix. Rather be safe than sorry.
Ab what about the saftey issues carrying methanol in the passanger compartment (GTS)? I just completed the Roe Water/**** install and I'm concerned about the strength of the Velcro strap. It may not restrain the tank in the event of a collison.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As long as you mix the methanol with plenty of water...I wouldn't worry too much about a rear end collision explosion. I use more water than Methanol in my mix due to the fact that I am running a little rich anyways and using the ****/water system to just help the internals and keep from knocking under boost. If you take **** and put some in a bowl mixed with water and put a match to it, it's a relatively slow burn....not like gas where it would go WHOSSH! as soon as you put a match near it. I have had **** burn off my fingers before...obviously not a lot of it, but it burns cool if that makes any sense?

I have been using ****/water for a while...there's a lot of good things it does. You just have to tune it right. I think I will end up going straight water soon since fuel is not an issue for me. ****/water is for cooling and depending on the amount of **** you use will determine how rich you run. If you have the snow performance pumps...I wouldn't recommend using straight **** in there....those pumps are strong chemical rated pumps, but not designed to run straight ****. **** is nasty stuff..

Again. if your car is tuned for ****/ water and you run out, then I wouldn't go into boost because for 1 you have less fuel/octane going in your car....then on top of that you most likely have very little timing being taken out which will be a good reciept for detonation...

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running the 0 degree windshield fluid from Walmart and continue to be amazed at how cool my blower inlet tubes are after a hard run under boost. I wouldn't even describe them as cool, they are cold. :D :usa:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could probably measure the specific gravity of the washer fluid to check for consistency from batch to batch.

When I was racing stock cars, they would often check our fuel, looking for alcohol.

The test kit had three vials. They would take 1 oz of fuel and 1 oz of water and pour them into a third test tube that had a mark at 2 oz.

If the fuel had alcohol in it, the alcohol would "adsorb" some of the water and you would get less than 2 oz after mixing the fuel and water.

You could test some known good washer fluid with a home made kit like this and tell if the alcohol content was consistent.

PS. I believe the word is adsorb and not absorb, but the chemistry class was a long time ago.

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running the 0 degree windshield fluid from Walmart and continue to be amazed at how cool my blower inlet tubes are after a hard run under boost. I wouldn't even describe them as cool, they are cold. :D :usa:

Yes, the tubes get very cold to the touch, but I think its the entire car thats amazing! :2tu:

Woody

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car didn't like the straight water. I ended up using the -30 deg washer fluid and it worked great.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm very ignorant in this area - are you guys spraying windshield wiper fluid into the motor? Is it actually going into the cylinders, or does it simply cool the intake charge?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My car didn't like the straight water. I ended up using the -30 deg washer fluid and it worked great.
Wood, I just got 12 gallons at walmart for $0.27 per gallon...it was on clearance LOL!

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm very ignorant in this area - are you guys spraying windshield wiper fluid into the motor? Is it actually going into the cylinders, or does it simply cool the intake charge?

The water/**** (in my case zero degree windshield fluid) nozzles mount in the smooth tubes and spray into the blower from there. The VEC2 controls the activation at around 3.5lbs. of boost. By the time the mixture reaches the cylinders, it's just a much cooler charge. Works very effectively at cooling. I picked up about 26 RWHP and have a cooler blower the more I romp on it. :usa:

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelby3,
Do you think the water/methanol injection effectively gets rid of any concerns about heat soak on back-to-back runs with Roe SC?

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelby3,
Do you think the water/methanol injection effectively gets rid of any concerns about heat soak on back-to-back runs with Roe SC?

Yes, as long as you don't let the engine sit. The blower is at it's coolest right after coming out of boost while spraying the water/****. :usa:

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelby3,

Yes, as long as you don't let the engine sit. The blower is at it's coolest right after coming out of boost while spraying the water/****. :usa:

Perhaps a stupid question, but can the purge switch be used to cool things down when the system is not in boost?

Woody

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KenH,

Perhaps a stupid response, but I have noticed that even when sitting still and reving the engine, the system will activate and cool things down. I have deduced this by monitoring the indicator light Sean mounted in the console.

AB, I will give you $.30 per gallon :D

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelby3,

Perhaps a stupid question, but can the purge switch be used to cool things down when the system is not in boost?

According to Sean, no. The only time the purge system is used is when the system gets air in the lines which is at installation and if you were to let the tank run dry. The VEC2 actually does a self test at start up that gives the pump a squirt each time. Discovered that last week when Macedo had my nozzle disconnected while installing new lifters. Turned the key on and fired a stream right past his head. Cooled him right down, it did. :D :usa:

OP
OP
M

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked up 5 gal of Methanol and mixed about 60 ****/40water, but it's raining and can't test and tune. Supposed to rain for the next couple of days, what's worse than that!

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The water/**** (in my case zero degree windshield fluid) nozzles mount in the smooth tubes and spray into the blower from there. The VEC2 controls the activation at around 3.5lbs. of boost. By the time the mixture reaches the cylinders, it's just a much cooler charge. Works very effectively at cooling. I picked up about 26 RWHP and have a cooler blower the more I romp on it. :usa:

Thanks for the reply; your explanation makes perfect sense. I'm amazed at the amount of RWHP you picked up - are you using this in conjunction with an intercooler? I don't remember if Roe has released one yet.

Thanks again!

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK ,here is my idea , I have the Novi 200 and the VecII, I want to spray my TBs just like everybody else is doing , but also spray the , intercooler/aftercooler/prechiller , depending on your setup. I want to T the line and run a mist nozzel to spray my cooler also when it is spraying the TBs. What do you think? I am sure the pump will handle a small mist jet along with the Meht injection. Ricers do it and cool is cool .No viper has done it yet and I think someone should try. AB take this idea and run with it , you are the man when it comes to innovation. I have the 10 lb Paxton pulley with Levin's air duct and Whipple filter along with dual Walboros and a monster fuel system/rails/RC injectors, controlled by the VEC II.Also I will run two programs , one set for the **** and one card set up for no ****/water , in case I run out. If you run out and don't know it , you could run lean and we all know wht that could do , especially on a cream puff. :2tu: spray............

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh , by the way Doug Levin ROCKS!!! He gave me one off parts off his personel car and some freebies while making zero profit from me , just because he was delayed getting back to me due to his father passing a few months back. I just wish he were in Texas. :2tu: (Doug, what do you think about my misting idea?)

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply; your explanation makes perfect sense. I'm amazed at the amount of RWHP you picked up - are you using this in conjunction with an intercooler? I don't remember if Roe has released one yet.

Thanks again!

No Roe intercooler. Sean was not comfortable with the only option (potential leaks) under the blower. My current tune could accept more timing and make even more RWHP. Haven't decided if I'm going to do it yet. :usa: