Mis-Shift

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys maybe I can get a few pointers from the more experienced here.

I have missed my 3-4 shift and mistakenly buzzed 2nd gear a few times already and its NOT a good thing. I think its the slightly canted angle of the shift pattern. Anyway has anyone else ever done this and what can be done to rectify?

Obviously this is during more casual driving where I'm not 110% dialed in (ie, like when I'm putting the spurs to her!)

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had the same problem when driving aggressively. Mark Jorgensen from Woodhouse (a great Viper resource) told me it is due to the engine/trans moving at WOT. He suggested I learn to "push and pull" the shifter rather than grabbing and jamming it into gear and/or install new motor mounts to reduce the movement of the trans/engine. Good luck.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was trying to shift 1-2 the other day and I hit Reverse instead... is this a common problem with Vipers? :D :lmao:

I was ripped a new one for the same question some years ago, so just passing down the luv. :smirk:

Seriously though.... do a "thumbs down". Now hold that position as you shift 3-4. Never had a bad shift since the fine folks here taught me that. :2tu:

OP
OP
D

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was trying to shift 1-2 the other day and I hit Reverse instead... is this a common problem with Vipers? :D :lmao:

I was ripped a new one for the same question some years ago, so just passing down the luv. :smirk:

Seriously though.... do a "thumbs down". Now hold that position as you shift 3-4. Never had a bad shift since the fine folks here taught me that. :2tu:

Yeah, I was zipping up my "flame suit" as I finished typing the post, but I figured I had to ask.

The "thumbs down" idea is a good one, I will give it a try.

Jackson06SRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Second that! Took me a little bit to get used to shifting that way but have never had a bad shift since

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Ditto to Warfang advice. It is a free fix! Thumbs up for 1-2 shift. Then thumbs down 2-3, 3-4. The thumbs up/down puts a bit of force in the proper direction to keep you from hitting the wrong gear. One more thing you can do to limit the impact of the missed shift, if it occurs is to ease out of the clutch rather than snapping off of it and listen to the RPMs. If it starts rev'ing up when you ease the clutch out, just push it back in find the right gear and carry on.
Dave

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the above advice is very good. What I found is RELAX RELAX RELAX. Don't let the beast get to you when your up there near 5-6K RPM. Take your time shifting. I found that at WOT I was reacting (inside I was saying hurry get this thing into 4th now!!!)instead of controlling the shift. I haven't missed it since then. IMHO

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might also consider one of the aftermarket shifters. I have the B&M and the difference was night and day.

The B&M shifter... Just a better made unit with better machining or what? I, like others that have posted, have missed a shift or two, and have blamed the quality of the factory shift mechanism, as well as myself to some degree.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2-3, grab the left side of the shifter with your thumb pointing down. It forces your arm to push right rather than pull left.

I missed 3rd a few times in my GTS.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to do this all the time. But I noticed my gearbox loosened up over time and the shift positions are not so narrow now. Now, I cannot remember the last time I missed a shift. My car loosened up at around 5500 miles.

It is imperative to get a grasp on this, I saw a Gen 2 Viper go into a violent spin due to shifting from 3rd back into second at Limerock...bad shift can equal very bad day.

OP
OP
D

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All the above advice is very good. What I found is RELAX RELAX RELAX. Don't let the beast get to you when your up there near 5-6K RPM. Take your time shifting. I found that at WOT I was reacting (inside I was saying hurry get this thing into 4th now!!!)instead of controlling the shift. I haven't missed it since then. IMHO

So very true, especially running with another car.

I'm going to get some coils and conventional tires and take this thing out on the track so I can really get a better feel for it. Its been over a week and I'm still terrified of the snake bite. I think that nervousness is also a factor in the mis-shft

OP
OP
D

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used to do this all the time. But I noticed my gearbox loosened up over time and the shift positions are not so narrow now. Now, I cannot remember the last time I missed a shift. My car loosened up at around 5500 miles.

It is imperative to get a grasp on this, I saw a Gen 2 Viper go into a violent spin due to shifting from 3rd back into second at Limerock...bad shift can equal very bad day.

Thanks so much for the input. One of the best things about forums is knowledge sharing. I have never had a issue with missing shifts before and I was really bothered about it.

I had a really scary moment the day I picked the car up. Thus this thread

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the input. One of the best things about forums is knowledge sharing. I have never had a issue with missing shifts before and I was really bothered about it.

I had a really scary moment the day I picked the car up. Thus this thread

Many Snakes were totaled on they way home from the stealership. Take your time and get some track classes.
I hit a tree that ran across the road two years ago in my 05. Not the worst accident but since then I have hit the classes. Skip, Petty etc....

OP
OP
D

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Many Snakes were totaled on they way home from the stealership. Take your time and get some track classes.
I hit a tree that ran across the road two years ago in my 05. Not the worst accident but since then I have hit the classes. Skip, Petty etc....

Yeah, I was actually told by a dealer that most of these cars get wrecked in the first 24-27hrs of ownership!

I'm in the Tri-State are so I'm going to take the car up to limerock (after I get some conventional tires) and get a better feel.

Now as far as those trees that keep running across the damn road, we really have to address that! Friggen trees just running up and assaulting hapless Vipers!!! Lol

That was funny as hell bro....tree ran across the road :)

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I first got me Viper ('04 with 2200 miles on it), I found the shifter to be very stiff and obstinant, especially when accelerating hard. Part of the problem was perception. I had been driving an M3 for years and it had the smoothest shifting trans I have ever experienced.

I installed and B&M shifter which helped a little. After a couple thousand more miles, the trans/shifter became much smoother. Still not like my old M3, but much better than when I first got it.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The B&M shifter... Just a better made unit with better machining or what? I, like others that have posted, have missed a shift or two, and have blamed the quality of the factory shift mechanism, as well as myself to some degree.

We have the short-throw shifter and haven't missed a shift...this shifter is MUCH better than the stock one...but yeah, also like the others say: RELAX!!! It happens far more commonly than one would think! ~juli~

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is insane that car dealers would sell a car w/ 500+ ft-lb of torque, no traction or stability control, and not give you some major instructions on how to drive it. My good friend owns a Gen 1, and told me that when I picked up my Viper, make sure the tires are warm before you really get on it. Two weeks after I picked it up I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd during hard acceleration while the tires were still fairly cool, and she got completely SIDEWAYS on the highway doing...ah....lets just say very fast. BUT, I was anticipating it b/c of what my friend told me. I got out of it and she straightened back up.
Had my friend not given me the heads up on the Viper's temperment, I wouldnt even be in this forum today. A little more advice on these cars would go a LONG way, especially w/ new owners.

OP
OP
D

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quick Question guys, does the MGW "shorty" shift knob alone help? I was doing some reading on their site and they mentioned that the shorty knob alleviates alot of the issue.

I'm still going to do the B&M, but just asking.

Thanks in advance, as always.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We know that the short-throw shifter we have (with the Viper logo on top in RED--I know, I know--but we couldn't get BLACK)....has helped with smoother shifts..I DO forget where we got it though, or whether it is a MGW or not--we got these parts so long ago...I can't seem to find the receipts)....but, just to say the short-throw IS better...smoother. ~juli~

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have the short-throw shifter and haven't missed a shift...this shifter is MUCH better than the stock one...but yeah, also like the others say: RELAX!!! It happens far more commonly than one would think! ~juli~

RELAX?!? I always drink a quad shot Latte before any driving!:drive:

Hey Juli... Thanks for the answer about the shifter.:2tu:

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Juli,

I believe that the "red" knob is a Hurst shifter knob. The Hurst shifter is quite good, at least equivalent to the B&M shifter.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is insane that car dealers would sell a car w/ 500+ ft-lb of torque, no traction or stability control, and not give you some major instructions on how to drive it. My good friend owns a Gen 1, and told me that when I picked up my Viper, make sure the tires are warm before you really get on it. Two weeks after I picked it up I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd during hard acceleration while the tires were still fairly cool, and she got completely SIDEWAYS on the highway doing...ah....lets just say very fast. BUT, I was anticipating it b/c of what my friend told me. I got out of it and she straightened back up.
Had my friend not given me the heads up on the Viper's temperment, I wouldnt even be in this forum today. A little more advice on these cars would go a LONG way, especially w/ new owners.

Hey... Move to Texas. Everything is pre-warmed here! Good post though. None of us are Superman and we all need reminding of that every now and then. Well, except for Juli. I think she is Superwoman.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Juli,

I believe that the "red" knob is a Hurst shifter knob. The Hurst shifter is quite good, at least equivalent to the B&M shifter.

Thank you--you are most likely correct--I simply have no memory nor receipts!! :dunno: :cool:
We enjoy it much better than the stock one...juli

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey... Move to Texas. Everything is pre-warmed here! Good post though. None of us are Superman and we all need reminding of that every now and then. Well, except for Juli. I think she is Superwoman.

You must be registered for see images

Wow, my head feels quite LARGE at the moment~~heehee....not quite Superwoman..................................................................but close enuf :omg: :cool: ~juli

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'd guess that we've all screwed up some shifts, usually by not paying enough attention or getting too excited.

I have found through trial and error that the thumbs down method works well for 1 to 2, 3 to 4 and 5 to 6 shifts. I have also found that pulling my elbow in tight to my side helps with the 2 to 3 and 4 to 5 shifts and prefer my thumb up and my hand on the bottom part of the shift nob just below or about at centerline while pushing the shifter forward.

I think that there are many different ways to accomplish good shifts, but practice, consistency and being relaxed will help your method, whatever it is.

Dan:usa:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd guess that we've all screwed up some shifts, usually by not paying enough attention or getting too excited.

I have found through trial and error that the thumbs down method works well for 1 to 2, 3 to 4 and 5 to 6 shifts. I have also found that pulling my elbow in tight to my side helps with the 2 to 3 and 4 to 5 shifts and prefer my thumb up and my hand on the bottom part of the shift nob just below or about at centerline while pushing the shifter forward.

I think that there are many different ways to accomplish good shifts, but practice, consistency and being relaxed will help your method, whatever it is.

The only shift where the thumbs down method works well is 3-4. All other shifts can be done thumbs up. Never had another bad shift since. I have a b&m and that didnt help. Thumbs down is the thumbs up way to go. :2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, the "******'s girl in my lap, need another transmission now, pay better attention next time" excitement is a killer.

But really, I've found that just paying attention is quite valuable. And sometimes tough to do.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the problem accrues on account of the factory shifter being a stamped sheet metal piece of junk. Don't believe me, then pull it out and look. We sell at AtRo racing Products a modified and blueprinted Hurst shifter kit that includes a ST to Th gear shift eliminator module. We utilize the Hurst/Mopar Track Shifter incorporates a high ratio pivot mechanism for reduced shifter throw and is sturdily constructed for a more positive precise feel when shifting. Self-centering alignment improves 2nd to 3rd up-shift gear changes to reduce the chance of "missed shifts". Adjustable bias spring loads allow stick tension to be tailored to drivers' preference.

To see pictures of this shifter kit along with different shift knobs that are availble please click here.

http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

Installation time for this shifter is about an hour and does not require the removal on the interior center console.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery