Mixed feelings about my new wheels

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have a lot of mixed feelings about the new wheels. I thought the Satin finish would bother me, not really. The few things that bother me are the front tire is slightly stretched to allow fitment for that wheel. The rotors now look dingy that you can see all the way through. The suspension has not settled fully yet from being jacked up. I also think the tires need a good cleaning now and a bit of tire shine.

On a positive note I saved 44lbs of unsprung weight.

OEM 5 spoke front 31 lbs
OEM 5 spoke rear 34 lbs
SSR 6 spoke front 21 lbs
SSR 6 spoke rear 22 lbs

I definitely can feel a difference in braking though I haven't been able to accelerate on them yet, was slightly damp on the ride home. One thing I cant figure out is on my rear rotors there is a definite line going around them, the fronts have it as well but not as bad. Any ideas what this line is? Its not a groove, its flat as the rotor.

Opinions would be great about these wheels since I am pretty undecided about them.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good lookin' Bumble Bee...

You can always buy a little bigger front tire when it comes time to replace yours. (Bonus is better handling...less push)

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually like the looks of your black factories better, but what do I know I'm a chrome wheel guy. The line your seeing is most likely just from the pad contact surface.

runin1320

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the look for the black wheels on the bumblebee! I agree, the fronts look a litte stretched. What is the width of the rim/tire?

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those look great. The brembo drilled rotors will look a lot better than those rotors on that car. Those wheels look 18's, how much clearance do you have between the wheel and caliper?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good, but you gotta get at least 295's on the front I personally prefer 305's on 11" wheels.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those look great. The brembo drilled rotors will look a lot better than those rotors on that car. Those wheels look 18's, how much clearance do you have between the wheel and caliper?

They are 18's, only size offered for them. There is more clearance between the caliper and the wheel then on the stocks, and more clearance between the back of the face and the caliper as well.

I would like a set of rotors aftermarket but they are not in the budget. I am making the move up north to Rhode Island here in just over a month. The purchase of these wheels was last minute and only done because of the deal that I received on them.

OEM Black wheel photos
http://forums.viperclub.org/album.php?albumid=92

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks good!:2tu:

your big brake upgrade, which one did you get & where did you get it?
did you use the manual valve for brake balance?

It is Daves bbk ordered from him before he passed. Now Jon B sells them. I have srt calipers all around with srt rotors front and gts rotors rear. No need for a manual valve for the abs gen 2's. If I am not mistaken you only need the valve on the non abs cars when you do srt rotors all around.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Iam The Only One That Don't Like Them Looks Like Truck Wheels

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Iam The Only One That Don't Like Them Looks Like Truck Wheels

No was one other person who didn't care for them. They have not grown on me yet. Think the car needs to be cleaned up really well then some good photos taken. So far everyone including the shop installing them seems to like them. Just not sure I do lol.

I don't recall seeing a wheel anything like these on a truck though. I have seen them on tuners which I don't like but it is what it is.

Last edited:
F

FrgMstr

Think the car needs to be cleaned up really well then some good photos taken.

I think once you hit the tires with some pookie and give those a black finish instead of the gray they are now you will like the wheels better. I can't tell from the pictures how glossy the finish on the wheels is, but darkening up the tires will go a long way to even out the difference there.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think once you hit the tires with some pookie and give those a black finish instead of the gray they are now you will like the wheels better. I can't tell from the pictures how glossy the finish on the wheels is, but darkening up the tires will go a long way to even out the difference there.

The rims are a black finish, just satin black, not glossy.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the all black wheel. However, if they have to be black I like that the center caps and lug nuts are chrome to kind of break up the black some. That's a nice Bee. :2tu:

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to get out and drive a bit, park it a few places and it seems the rear rotor's color is starting to even back out. I still don't like the front tires stretched like they are but the wheels are growing a bit on me, not a lot yet. Will take time most likely.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is BY far my favorite yellow Viper combination!

you reduced your rotating mass weight

wheels are hot

Viper looks great

all good to me!

(wellll...I would go 295 up front, better turn in)

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always believed that the SSR spokes are too thin for Vipers, or most cars for that matter. However, the wheels being black helps. It looks fine to me.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah cool wheels!! I need new tires for mine, I may get wider also for the fronts. Mine are 17's though... :(

Well I have the new OEM 6 spokes, may turn them charcoal gray.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth