Mopar Performance Computer part number P4510172?

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A dealer wants to sell me one for $350 (optimized for a cam and exhaust, works best without cats, does not require readers, removes the skip shift feature, and is made for 91 octane) - anyone have any experience using it?

I think it is the one recommended if you have the Mopar Street Exhaust & Cam upgrade. For what it is worth, my upgrades are the Mopar Race Exhaust with only one pair of cats & K&N Intake.

I know I could get a DC reflash but that will cost me $600 more if I get a new PCM as well.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
did you used to have more than 1 pair of cats?

Many have seen power decreases from the mopar performance ecu. I know we swapped out stock and mopar on dyno runs, back and forth after letting the motor temp get away from heat soak, and every time the mopar performance one was rich and a bit less power.

my upgrades are the Mopar Race Exhaust with only one pair of cats & K&N Intake.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your air conditioner will not cycle on or off with this ECM as there is no provision for the ac. You are better off with the DC reflash using a new ECM.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
did you used to have more than 1 pair of cats?

Many have seen power decreases from the mopar performance ecu. I know we swapped out stock and mopar on dyno runs, back and forth after letting the motor temp get away from heat soak, and every time the mopar performance one was rich and a bit less power.

my upgrades are the Mopar Race Exhaust with only one pair of cats & K&N Intake.

And I beleive you get what you pay for, most of the time. So the DC computer is more, but it woke my car up. Its a whole new car. I would go with DC performance. You wont regret it. Car feels strong now.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
your air conditioner will not cycle on or off with this ECM as there is no provision for the ac. You are better off with the DC reflash using a new ECM.

Never had an AC issue with the Mopar unit. Had it on 4 different Vipers. You sure they didn't correct that problem shortly after the controller was introduced?

OP
OP
viperbob

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer the above question yes, I had 2 pairs of cats on the car (now have one pair).

Sounds like the DC reflash is the way to go. Someone else told me that BG Chrysler also does one but their price is not much less so might as well go with whats been proven.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Never had an AC issue with the Mopar unit. Had it on 4 different Vipers. You sure they didn't correct that problem shortly after the controller was introduced?

The stock OEM controller cycles the AC on and off. Everyone I have ever talked to has told me that there is no feed wire for the AC. I have never used the unit as I prefer the DC Performance upgrade which is tuned to your exact performance modifications. The Mopar unit claimed that it could not cycle it on and off. They may have corrected this problem but you are the first that has said this. This controller is a race unit only so I do not see why they would program it to turn on an AC unit that does not exists on a Comp Coupe. Does anyone else have any feedback on the Mopar controller as to if the AC problem has been corrected?

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The stock OEM controller cycles the AC on and off. Everyone I have ever talked to has told me that there is no feed wire for the AC. I have never used the unit as I prefer the DC Performance upgrade which is tuned to your exact performance modifications. The Mopar unit claimed that it could not cycle it on and off. They may have corrected this problem but you are the first that has said this. This controller is a race unit only so I do not see why they would program it to turn on an AC unit that does not exists on a Comp Coupe. Does anyone else have any feedback on the Mopar controller as to if the AC problem has been corrected?

I have the Mopar unit and have noticed no problems with my AC???

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is really good to know as there have been a ton of threads on this issue in the past stating that it would not cycle the AC as there was no way to power it with the Mopar unit. From what you are saying it sounds like DC finally reworked the Mopar unit so it would work with AC.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have the Mopar controller and my AC works fine. I was disappointed in performance increase however. After installing the Mopar race exhaust, race engine controller and K&N intake system I gained only 12 rwhp and 17 rwtorq. This was on the same dyno machine one week apart.

Bob K

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the Mopar racing controller shuts off the AC over 80 MPH.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Mopar Race Controller only develops more power in concert with the cam and the exhaust. (A 5hp increase seen on a chassis dyno could just be testing variation)

The controller alone possibly will lose you power as it runs more fuel to the engine at WOT conditions. Which is needed when you are actually moving more air through the engine (Thus developing more power).

If you only did an exhaust, you are probably better off without the race controller.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also have the Mopar controller and my AC works fine. I was disappointed in performance increase however. After installing the Mopar race exhaust, race engine controller and K&N intake system I gained only 12 rwhp and 17 rwtorq. This was on the same dyno machine one week apart.

Bob K

Thats strange. Maybe its the Mopar setup. I went with the DC peformance PCM and I gained 19rwhp and 42rwtq just by adding the PCM and reoving cats. I had dyno'd a week earlier also with just exhaust and hi flow cats. Went from 468 to 487 rwhp and 512 rwtq. And I picked up a ton of midrange over previous dyno. About 40-50 hp in the 3-5k range. My car stock was running rich.
This was on same dyno also.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are not running the Mopar cam I would not use the Mopar controller but would go with the Dc controller and cooler thermostat. You also need to drill out the two vents in the K & N Filtercharger to about as they are to restrictive and then you need to seal with foam around the dimple in the plastic air tube where the upper and lower air box meets it as there is a hole as big as your thumb on the top and bottom that is sucking in hot air from the engine co compartment. Replace your filters with Green Filters as they claim they outflow the K & N filters that came with your Filtercharger. last but not least remove the baffle from the hood scoop as it restricts the incoming air. With the oil that is used in the Green Filters you do not need this rain baffle. I have driven in torrential downpours where I could hardly see the hood with no problems. Change you spark plugs to Autolite XP985 iridium plugs and do not gap them. We have the Green Filters, Thermostat, and Autolite Plugs in stock.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is the average rwhp and torque for the gen 3 vipers stock?what gains are usually noticed from just a dc reflash pcm?any check eng light issiues with reflash?
thanks

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what is the average rwhp and torque for the gen 3 vipers stock?what gains are usually noticed from just a dc reflash pcm?any check eng light issiues with reflash?
thanks

I didnt get to dyno mine stock. But Ive seen on average about 430-440 rwhp stock dyno's from what people have posted.

And your other question about DC reflash, you wont see any check engine lights with their program.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is this part # for gen3?

If you are speaking of our ECM upgrade the answer is yes.

If you are asking about Mopar PT# P4510172 this fits 2003-2005 SRT-10 Vipers according to my Mopar 2005 catalog. I do not know about 2006.

Robbie
AtRo Racing Products
VCA Sponsor

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950