Mopar Performance head package

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy cow, I just noticed VPA has got the complete package for $6,600 if your a Venom Member. This has got to be the best Mopar Performance value ever. I've complained a hundred times how overpriced there stuff tends to be. I want a Gen III, just so I can bolt this set up on it. Deal of the century for sure! My Striker head package was over $10K and didn't include half the goodies your getting here!!!!!!:headbang::headbang::headbang:

PootyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone installed this package... i was searching the web and found someone in the viper truck forum who installed and from what i can read, it didnt quite live up to the hype. Couldnt PM or email the guy to ask about it bc i wasnt a member. I will see if someone on here did it first and if not i may have to create a user name on the viper truck club.

mgeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke with VPA about a comment on another thread that they are making these for Gen II's. Same pricing as the Gen III if you're a Venom member. 590HP on the engine dyno (forgot to ask if that was with headers/cam)and they are looking for a test mule. I volunteered, thought what the hell...told them to "just go ahead and keep it if you blow it up, I'll take a Gen V in trade!"

Dart451

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for info. Guess I better consider that venom membership!!

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to Mopar over the weekend about this and they said the kit works on the gen 2's and synonymous results are 598 hp. This is direct from Mopar so its legit.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't have time to find that out while I was talking to Mopar over the weekend. Let me see what I can find out though.

Reaction score
I talked to Mopar over the weekend about this and they said the kit works on the gen 2's and synonymous results are 598 hp. This is direct from Mopar so its legit.
Well, not quite. :D We saw some of the notes going back and forth and made sure to clarify it further. The challenge is several fold, with at least one issue mentioned previously:
  1. The power steering bracket needs to be redesigned
  2. The coolant sensor needs to move, as it is located in the Gen 2 heads but not on the Gen 4
  3. The air box and throttle control needs to be revamped, as the dual throttle bodies go away in favor of the single Gen 3 (nope, not the Gen 4)
  4. The PCM/ECU is completely different from Gen 2 to Gen 3, so the reprogramming is also different than what is standard with the current kit
All that said, the manufacturer has already worked through most of these issues and has come up with new designs - just as they did to create the original "hybrid" parts that would mesh the two generations. All that remains is the testing to make sure it works exactly as it should. It has already been run on an engine dyno (Gen 2 with the Gen 4 upgrade kit) with excellent results. It now needs to be tested in an actual car to make sure the programming covers all the possible variances. After that they will need to produce the custom parts and take it to market. Given the enthusiasm and talent of the Mopar team and its suppliers, we expect that it won't be a terribly long wait.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think is a great deal, but to get the results you still need a cam and heathers.

The kit makes NO mention of a necessary cam change, and yes you need a new exhaust, but who doesn't put headers on a modded Viper.

The HP estimate is crankshaft, NOT RWHP. Yes it seems hard to believe, but until proven wrong I'm buying the factory rating.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got another update from Mopar stating the same things the VPA has recently posted with the addition there is some concern at the moment about installing this kit on the later (cast piston) gen 2's and the possibility of engine failure. They are working on this issue and Mopar is planning on releasing a separate part number some time this year for the gen 2 kit.

Also they said they recently lowered their price on the kit and to check with VPA to see if their price reflects this change.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There WAS a set of real GTS-R on the VPA a couple weeks ago for Gen 2 guys. Not sure if they sold or not.

Dart451

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be interested in seeing the results for gen2.
Not sure why the forged pistons vs cast piston would make a difference. Lot of boosted cast piston making more power.

I'm sure the list is already long for test cars but throw me on it lol I have a 97 gts

mgeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody know what the difference in power output would be (if any) between the gts-r heads and the mopar perf package if/when released for the gen II?

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anytime you get stryker gen4 heads shipped to your door plus all the other parts in this kit for 7k that is a heck of a deal. Almost guaranteed Im doing it now

Reaction score
The GTS-R heads (which we still have new in the box) will make around 40 HP by themselves. These are the heads that inspired the Striker heads that so many people swear by. Like the upgrade kit, they perform best with headers, cam, etc.

The cast pistons are a worry only in that nobody wants to produce a kit that ends up causing problems for certain cars. While we have heard of very few (if any) cast piston cars having trouble with blowers, there is a certain amount of caution with the "always on" nature of the Gen 4 upgrade kit.

Mopar did indeed update their pricing, as did VPA.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worry about cast pistons, in fact they should produce better numbers NA. Remember that all current Vipers have cast pistons. It's a crazy good deal.

Reaction score
We have sold a couple of these kits overseas and one buyer reported this morning that they are now making 660 horsepower on a Gen 3 motor with cam and headers using the upgrade kit. Interestingly enough, the Gen 3 motors have cast pistons as well, but apparently one that was built to handle more power than the Gen 2. Good results so far, and a heck of a deal for the money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte