Mopar Performance head package

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have sold a couple of these kits overseas and one buyer reported this morning that they are now making 660 horsepower on a Gen 3 motor with cam and headers using the upgrade kit. Interestingly enough, the Gen 3 motors have cast pistons as well, but apparently one that was built to handle more power than the Gen 2. Good results so far, and a heck of a deal for the money.

I would assume you mean Flywheel horsepower? to get to 660 @ the wheels, that would be a VERY, VERY aggressive camshaft.

Reaction score
I would assume you mean Flywheel horsepower? to get to 660 @ the wheels, that would be a VERY, VERY aggressive camshaft.
They didn't clarify, but we assume it was 660 flywheel horsepower - it also included a lot of exclamation points. We will see if we can get the dyno sheets and post them accordingly. One of the more popular cams is the .708 with a Comp Coupe grind. If you go that route it should be noted as the reprogramming of the ECM (included) will be adjusted accordingly.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They didn't clarify, but we assume it was 660 flywheel horsepower - it also included a lot of exclamation points. We will see if we can get the dyno sheets and post them accordingly. One of the more popular cams is the .708 with a Comp Coupe grind. If you go that route it should be noted as the reprogramming of the ECM (included) will be adjusted accordingly.

So that cam is acceptable for Mopar to recalibrate properly? Or would it be better to get a live dyno-tune instead...

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS-R heads (which we still have new in the box) will make around 40 HP by themselves. These are the heads that inspired the Striker heads that so many people swear by. Like the upgrade kit, they perform best with headers, cam, etc.

The cast pistons are a worry only in that nobody wants to produce a kit that ends up causing problems for certain cars. While we have heard of very few (if any) cast piston cars having trouble with blowers, there is a certain amount of caution with the "always on" nature of the Gen 4 upgrade kit.

Mopar did indeed update their pricing, as did VPA.

What about the old mopar street perfomance heads that were made for the Gen 2's? Are there any of those left in the system? I'm guessing they would be cheaper for those looking than GTS-R heads.

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow if they make em for gen 2s this is the answer I been looking for..do they raise the compression at all?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow if they make em for gen 2s this is the answer I been looking for..do they raise the compression at all?

You can run the Gen 4 headgaskets and bump compression a bit. That's what I did with my new heads

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the old mopar street perfomance heads that were made for the Gen 2's? Are there any of those left in the system? I'm guessing they would be cheaper for those looking than GTS-R heads.

Really what's the point. Why would you waste money on heads that are barely going to make a difference. There has never been cheap Viper anything. This Mopar Performance Package is the only way to go, period. I bought the Striker heads from Jeff Mory's when they were available, without a doubt the cylinder head is the most important component in HP development. That said, I spent well over 10K for the parts I needed and did 100% of the work myself (exept the tune). Your getting a complete package with the kit that works, no guessing, no mismatched parts. I can't begin to emphasize how cheap this package is, your getting factory engineering for penny's on the dollar. How or why or what happened, I have no clue but someone is listening and I thank them even if I can't benefit from such a great deal. Thank you MOPAR AND VPA!!!!

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really what's the point. Why would you waste money on heads that are barely going to make a difference. There has never been cheap Viper anything. This Mopar Performance Package is the only way to go, period. I bought the Striker heads from Jeff Mory's when they were available, without a doubt the cylinder head is the most important component in HP development. That said, I spent well over 10K for the parts I needed and did 100% of the work myself (exept the tune). Your getting a complete package with the kit that works, no guessing, no mismatched parts. I can't begin to emphasize how cheap this package is, your getting factory engineering for penny's on the dollar. How or why or what happened, I have no clue but someone is listening and I thank them even if I can't benefit from such a great deal. Thank you MOPAR AND VPA!!!!

The Gen 3 heads are direct bolt on but they need to be modified to work on a Gen 2. PS bracket for one. VPA listed some other reasons earlier in the thread. The street perfomance heads are not a stock casting and make more than "barely" a difference. I have a set and would highly recommend them over anything but strikers. This is a HELL of a deal for all the Gen 3 guys and they should jump on it if they've been in the market.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 3 heads are direct bolt on but they need to be modified to work on a Gen 2. PS bracket for one. VPA listed some other reasons earlier in the thread. The street perfomance heads are not a stock casting and make more than "barely" a difference. I have a set and would highly recommend them over anything but strikers. This is a HELL of a deal for all the Gen 3 guys and they should jump on it if they've been in the market.

Your earlier question was asking if the street heads were still available, not that you have a set. My point was that they are a foolish investment when you can buy a package for nearly the same money that includes superior Gen IV heads, manifolds, injectors etc. The bracket issues and other changes are being addressed by Mopar for the Gen II package, another reason why this kit will be a no brainer. The Gen IV cylinder head is very similar to the Striker casting.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your earlier question was asking if the street heads were still available, not that you have a set. My point was that they are a foolish investment when you can buy a package for nearly the same money that includes superior Gen IV heads, manifolds, injectors etc. The bracket issues and other changes are being addressed by Mopar for the Gen II package, another reason why this kit will be a no brainer. The Gen IV cylinder head is very similar to the Striker casting.

Yes, I have a set but others are obviously looking for something that doesn't take 6 months or more to to get (GG). IF they can address the brackets and all the sensor and ECU differences then they will have something that should sell pretty well. I just went through the decision whether to go to a newer Gen head or stay Gen 2 and for me I found there was going to be a lot of extra hassle going to a newer Gen head. Luckily, I found a killer deal on the heads I bought.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to see this pkg with a 710 cam in a gen 3, with gen 4 head gaskets. That would be interesting.

BINGO!

I assume if I did go with this package, I would have to buy Gen IV headers, which ***** because I already M&M's on the car.

Threesixes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i thought the paxton was cali legal
I wish. Not for the Gen III. If it was, I'd already have one.Its legal on the gen II and I assume the gen I, but from what I understand Paxton didnt think it was cost effective to spend the money to get it CARB certified on the gen III. This state ***** for car guys.......

Daxzz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stay tuned because that is probably exactly what I will be doing. Already have the mopar package on order and just trying to find out if the stock Gen IV valve springs can handle the 710 cam.

I would love to see this pkg with a 710 cam in a gen 3, with gen 4 head gaskets. That would be interesting.

Dart451

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay tuned because that is probably exactly what I will be doing. Already have the mopar package on order and just trying to find out if the stock Gen IV valve springs can handle the 710 cam.

I will be looking forward to the update. Hopefully the gen2 kit is same pricing.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Man, thats going to be a bad ass ***** right there.

Daxzz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man, thats going to be a bad ass ***** right there.

I sure hope so. I plan on doing before and after dyno sessions so we will see. Right now my car is bone stock except for RT high flow cats and a 3" cat back so that will be my baseline. After lots of phone calls and research this week, it seems that the stock Gen IV springs would be right at their limit with the Roe 710 cam so I will be upgrading the springs with the ones in Arrow's Drag Pack (the heads will require a little re-working to use them). I don't mind a little lope, but I still want it to be 100% streetable and after reading Twister's review of the 710 (thanks for the detailed info) it seems to fit that description. I still haven't made up my mind 100% on the cam so if anyone has any other suggestions or info please chime in.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure hope so. I plan on doing before and after dyno sessions so we will see. Right now my car is bone stock except for RT high flow cats and a 3" cat back so that will be my baseline. After lots of phone calls and research this week, it seems that the stock Gen IV springs would be right at their limit with the Roe 710 cam so I will be upgrading the springs with the ones in Arrow's Drag Pack (the heads will require a little re-working to use them). I don't mind a little lope, but I still want it to be 100% streetable and after reading Twister's review of the 710 (thanks for the detailed info) it seems to fit that description. I still haven't made up my mind 100% on the cam so if anyone has any other suggestions or info please chime in.

I would shave the heads to getting it up around 10.5 or even 11 to 1 static will help power allot, that cam is going to drop your dynamic compression allot. My Striker heads/cam car is 11.1 to 1 static it made 612 rwhp all motor on a 488cid gen 2 with a much smaller cam at 236/238 .600 lift. VS the 710 cams 244/246 with .595 lift (what would be really interesting would be to use Jessel's new 1.85 Rockers for the gen 4 heads with that cam and get you ~.650 lift out of it.)
[h=1][/h]

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 11:1 sounds like the right comp ratio for that combo Matt. I'd also be interested in low speed drivabillity, mine tends to buck at around 2K for some reason. A bigger cam, in my mind would be harder to tune for the type of smooth, no issue drivabillity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte