Mopar Viper vs. SRT Oil Filters

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there a difference between the two? Externally, they look identical except one is labeled "Viper" and the other is labeled "SRT". Each has its own part number.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Both come in a Mopar box.

The one marked "Viper" is part number 05037836AA...and is designed to fit 1992-2006 Vipers.

The one marked "SRT" is part number05038041AA...and is designed to fit 2008-2010 Vipers.

The threads are different...thus no interchangability.

TrapperJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm old school, so I like my first oil change at 500 miles. I special ordered two 2009 Viper appropriate oil filters from the OEM parts dept. They arrived and I took them to my friends shop with my oil to use his lift. Well since this was my first oil change with this car, I didn't know that the sizes are different for Gen 4 cars. Luckily my friend had a generic oil filter that fit the threads and I was able to drive away.
When I got home I called the parts dept. manager and told him my situation. He talked to the service manager. They agreed to my request for a new oil change with the correct filter at their expense. No argument, just good service. Thank you Napleton in Lake Park, FL.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I share your compulsion on oil.

You will learn that not all parts desk folks or Techs actually deal with enough Viper generations day-to-day to keep it all stratght. That, coupled
with mistakes in manuals, CD's, even the incorrect markings on post-98 clutch fluid reservoir caps, etc., etc. make this site your best source for info unless you live close to the few Very Special Viper Techs that post regularly here.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Key point here is to get the Viper specific oil filter. We do not recommend using the older , black , standard MoPar filter which will fit on the 2006s on back, as the SRT designed filter is far superior. We supply all new Viper owners with an oil filter , so that the problem Trapper J had does not occur.

Thanks to Steve/Indy for supplying the parts numbers, as this is good info for all Viper owners.

Vpr898

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm looking online for part 05037836AA and I'm seeing 05037836AA/05037836AB (the last digit being A or B) used interchangeably. Is there any important difference between the two?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There was an internal change based on testing done by an outside lab. At the time, there were "no known failures in the field".

Brass Monkey ACR E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the MOPAR oil filters filter particles down to 3 microns like WIX and HASTING filters? Cloth element vs. paper element
Never had a problem using their filters on GEN 2/3/4 VIPERS with the threads being different

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wix actually builds the filters ( they worked together with Dodge/SRT Engineers ) , but the filter element is set to work for the high pressure, flow rates, etc. need for that big honking V10.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wix actually builds the filters ( they worked together with Dodge/SRT Engineers ) , but the filter element is set to work for the high pressure, flow rates, etc. need for that big honking V10.

Do the MOPAR oil filters filter particles down to 3 microns like WIX and HASTING filters? Cloth element vs. paper element
Never had a problem using their filters on GEN 2/3/4 VIPERS with the threads being different

Which begs the question, is a 3 micron filter better for use in the Viper than a 5 or 10 micron filter?

Micron Ratings

dirkbonn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That probably depends on whether the 3 microns are nominal or absolute and the 5 or 10 microns are nominal or absolute. (I read the article in the link to the "micron ratings" in the above post)

In the meantime I think I'll just use the "SRT" filter, (for my 2010 coupe) and hope they designed a good filter for our "Big Honking V10's" Hehe!

Last edited:

viper04blk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sssoooo if a have an 04 I want

The one marked "Viper" is part number 05037836AA...and is designed to fit 1992-2006 Vipers.

????????????

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you go with the SRT recommended filter, you will want the updated " AB" version, not the older "AA" version for 92 through 06 Vipers.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Simple answer thinking that 3, or 5 or 10 microns is best is not necessarily the way to proceed. For those that are not super technical ( that would be me ) , the SRT Engineers explained years ago at a Viper Owner's Invitational that optimal flow rates , drain back capabilities and strength were important for the G forces a Viper can attain, as well as with the amount of oil movement in the pan even with swing arms , etc. The filter was designed and tested , because some filters in the past had seen paper elements start to separate under severe race conditions. Sometimes too tight a filter element is very restrictive and those of us trying to second guess Engineers often are out of our element. The decision to actually do a Viper Specific filter , working with Wix, at the time, was quite a special situation. I often just tell clients if they want to use a filter designed just for their car or one that was made for a multitude of machines. You can make your choice, but for those that track , a Viper filter should be mandatory - IMHO.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper