More Abilene Sunburn Grand Prix (pics)

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As previously posted, I attended the Sunburn Grand Prix held in Abilene, Texas last weekend where several VCA members were racing Vipers among other cars. I thought I would post a few pictures. Unfortunately, members Bob Cain and Keith Verges are not pictured since I failed to hook up with them.

<center>
You must be registered for see images
</center>

Bobby Archer and Deborah Loth in front of the Viperspeed SCCA T1 Viper they both pilot. Deborah drives the Regional events and Bobby drives the National events. Deborah qualified 1st in class Sat. and placed 2nd in class later that afternoon. Bobby qualified 1st in class Sun. and placed 1st in class later that afternoon.

<center>
</center>

Sunday afternoon's 25 lap race. Bobby is in front of the LS6 powered Vette driven by Kevin Mixon. Both cars lost braking within 10 laps of the start. Kevin opted to pull out of the race while Bobby drove brakeless to finish the race in 1st place. BTW, Bobby continued to hammer the course even without brakes. YIKES!

<center>
</center>

Deborah rented the Porsche she drove in Sunday's National Race since Bobby was driving the Viper. Pictured here is Deborah on the 21st lap after having passed the T1 Trans-Am. Deborah finished 2nd to give Viperspeed 1st and 2nd place in the Sunday National event. Did I mention that the Trans Am was driven by the guy she rented the Porsche from? (grin) Now that was a race!

<center>
</center>

After the race Saturday, Bobby, Deborah, and crew showed up at my house to have diner. Pictured here is Bobby spinning a racing tale from last year's World Challenge race at Sears Point. Listening intently are friends Laura Rheams from Austin and from here in Abilene, Robert and Vickie Fain of local drag racing fame.

With Viper Days, SCCA, and other venues, it's good to know that Viper Racing is alive and well here in the US!

Cheers!

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, I wished I would have known about this event as my Son and I were driving back from Dallas Sunday (Zone Rendezvous) and could have caught some action that afternoon (came through about 2:00). Looks like you had a great time and Vipers kicked a$$ as usual. (We also drove through Abilene Friday afternoon in that *%#@*%! deluge).

OP
OP
H

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Don,

That would have been perfect timing too! The race started at about 5:00pm. Hope you guys had fun at the Zone Rendezvous.

Friday we received 3 to 5 inches of rain in the Abilene area. Hopefully we'll get more as we are still trying to recover from the seriuously dry conditions we have all suffered from in West Texas.

Be sure and holler next time you are in Abilene.

915-695-9991

Take care and glad you made it back to the 'Tall City' in good shape!

Adios

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten