mounting dimensions GEN4 exhaust tips ona GEN3

RolandDV

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Today I did the conversion from the GEN3 crossover exhaust to the GEN4 exhaust tips. Everything is installed but I forgot to take measurements. Can somebody with a gen 4 make a picture of the sidesill where the exhaust is and mark some the dimensions between sidesill and exhaust.

thanks, Roland

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every car is different. Put the tip on so you can still move it around to position it. Put the sill on the car with a couple screws. Position the tip so it is towards the front of the hole and center top to bottom. (You want it towards the front because the pipe expands when it gets hot and moves to the rear.) Remove sill and tighten all bolts. No two cars have ended up in same place.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second that; I've done this off my back and butt several times. You do have to be very careful with the sill parts so that there isn't any scratching or cracking going on. Measurement won't do anything to help; no substitute for eyeball checking before and after.

Torquemonster06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did this with mine last winter. I got lucky and got it right the first time. You are deff gona love how much cooler the cockpit is. :headbang:

OP
OP
R

RolandDV

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok now everybody will shoot me but I did the install and was not satisfied with the result! I ended installing my crossover again. The sound is lumpier and that is not bad BUT my decel pops are almost gone and that is unacceptabe for me :nono:

Do I need to add something like headers and highflow cats? What I am looking for is the sound of my Original exhaust but without the heat! Maybe I will try a corsa. I know it is raspier but they look good and that sound I like too.

R.

pdub

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gut the cats or go with high flow to reduce the heat. The decel can be adjusted with a SCT tune which will also get rid of the skip shift feature.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The installation instructions found on the Corsa site will provide the rough dimensions for tip positioning. Then as was previously mentioned, you'll need to do a few "takes" with the sills to get it just right. You also may want to run though at least one heat cycle (with the sills off) before final tightening.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rather than taking the sills on and off to get it perfect, how about some sort of jig taped to the side of the car which indicates exactly where the tip of the exhaust should be? In other words, you'd have a thin piece of triangular-shaped plastic or cardboard hanging from tape and positioned exactly where you want the tip before removing the sills.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Rather than taking the sills on and off to get it perfect, how about some sort of jig taped to the side of the car which indicates exactly where the tip of the exhaust should be? In other words, you'd have a thin piece of triangular-shaped plastic or cardboard hanging from tape and positioned exactly where you want the tip before removing the sills.

I've done this quite a few times. I remove the sill, measure the distance from two reference points, normally the distance from the bottom of the front part of the rear fender to the top of the exhaust tip and the distance from the plastic fender liner to the rear-most part of the exhaust tip. Then, when installing the new tail pipe section, put it back to those two measurements and your are good to go.

Dan

F

FrgMstr

I've done this quite a few times. I remove the sill, measure the distance from two reference points, normally the distance from the bottom of the front part of the rear fender to the top of the exhaust tip and the distance from the plastic fender liner to the rear-most part of the exhaust tip. Then, when installing the new tail pipe section, put it back to those two measurements and your are good to go.

Dan

Yep, the only way to do it. I did it this weekend and hit it damn near perfect the first time. A measuring tape and a quick diagram go a long ways to saving some time. Well that and having done it like 6 times. :)

F

FrgMstr

Hi guys,

Today I did the conversion from the GEN3 crossover exhaust to the GEN4 exhaust tips. Everything is installed but I forgot to take measurements. Can somebody with a gen 4 make a picture of the sidesill where the exhaust is and mark some the dimensions between sidesill and exhaust.

thanks, Roland

Oh, and while you have the side sills off, make sure to drill a hole for that front side sill nut! Make the hole fit your deep socket 10mm and you are good to go. You could do it while on the car, but sills off is easier. Makes the whole process that much faster. And putting threaded inserts for the bottom fasteners makes for a better attachment overall.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang