Mouse in my Viper??

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was getting my rt/10 ready to take out for it's once a month drive to keep everything loose and when I opened the hood to disconnect the battery tender I noticed a little black pebble on the intake manifold. So I started to wounder if maybe there has been a mouse under my hood. The only thing that makes me kinda doubt that is that this particular car is on my lift. I didn't notice any chewed wires or anything like that.

Any places I shoud check to see if i've had a visitor. Didn't notice any mouse droppings on the platforms of the lift. What can I do to keep them away. My garage is attached to the house.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a good look around/under the intake manifold to make sure they didn't build themselves a nest.;)

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mice are pretty harmless - but I still try to keep them out by putting moth balls under the car and leaving the hood open (and keeping something over the HVAC air intake). The mice like to make nests in enclosed spaces and generally won't make a nest if the hood is up. I haven't found the dryer sheets to work for mice - but they work great for rats (those are NOT harmless - one of them completely tore out the whole electrical system in my '71 Firebird). Mouse traps in the garage have proven to be problematic for my toes and for my cats, and the cats will still eat a staggering mouse that's full of mouse poison - so poison is usually not an option.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poison is not an option????It will get rid of all small animals isnt that a good thing?
On occassion i get true pebbles on top of my motor from driving,is it a pebble or mouse dropping?
Traps can work unfortunately the most effective tool is bait.But Martin is right some rodenticides do have secondary kill.If traps are a concern you can buy plastic boxes (through a pest control distributor) that you can house the traps in.If you decide to do this pm me and I can get you the equipment.Good Luck!
they actually will be more attractive to the mice.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are flypaper traps sized for mice. They don't smell and you can attach them to vertical surfaces. I forgot how you bait them, though.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i caught him for ya. damn spy. i say we waterborad the little sucker till he talks.

new_mouse.JPG

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TELL US WHAT YOU KNOW!!!!!!QUOTE=big-n-italian;2734056]i caught him for ya. damn spy. i say we waterborad the little sucker till he talks.

new_mouse.JPG
[/QUOTE]

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny this thread should come now.

Took off my intake manifold last week and lo-and-behold, there was a mouse's nest in the V of the block. Looked like he had been storing acorns, grass, pillow stuffing and who knows what else.

I figure he must have built the nest while the car was in storage a few months earlier.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mice are harmless? You obviously have never had a mouse or family of mice work over your car.

Until I mouse proofed our new home, shortly after we moved in and moved the cars over, mice got into my S351R Saleen convertible. I open the trunk in Spring and there was a nest the size of a basketball. Looked like the Nihm cartoon. I ended up pulling the entire interior out and washing everything down with special sprays, took the opportunity to Dynamat everything while it was out.

It is a real pain. In the end, a regular old mouse trap with cheese or peanut butter is best. Pul one in the car and a couple around the car on the ground. If in a week or two, you have not caught anything, than you don't have mice. Do NOT use poison as they will eat it and will hide in the car throwing up as they dehydrate and die. Then rip your interior out to find that smell. In the end, the old fashion traps are best, then dispose. It is true, they can not build a better mouse trap.

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny this thread should come now.

Took off my intake manifold last week and lo-and-behold, there was a mouse's nest in the V of the block. Looked like he had been storing acorns, grass, pillow stuffing and who knows what else.

I figure he must have built the nest while the car was in storage a few months earlier.

I had the same thing happen a couple yrs ago. Hickory nut shells and poops galore in the valley.:crazy2:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mice like to live under the manifolds, above the frame sections in front of the toe boxes, and especially in the center consoles & doors. They grab the insulation and extra carpet strands [or anything else they can grab] and build a nest...

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:D If ever I have pest control problems,,I'm seeking help from you people :D :lmao:

If no small kids or animals, I'd go with D-Con boxes. The mice eat that stuff, which is a form of coumadin heart meds,,,and the mice's heart beats so fast, it explodes.

BTW - mice like heater cores and squirrel cages to nest in,,real miserable pests!

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Moth balls? What kind of moths have the right sized balls and how the heck do you castrate the little bugers? :dunno:
NO POISON, yes they go off and die where you can't find em but you can smell em for weeks. :omg:
Also check your air filter box, it's like a heater vent to your engine and pipes up heat from deep inside for a nice long time.
Glue traps work best however long slow sticky DEATH. :(
Old fashioned crushing neck blow works the quickest but sometimes a leg or tail sets it off and then the little critter drags the trap all over the place till he looses it where you can't find it. :lmao: Blood trail tracking experience comes in handy at this point. :rolaugh:
Good luck with your mouse hunt ;)

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To revive an old thread... I had set traps and nothing ever came of it. Put traps by all four wheels, one by the garage door, and one by my trash cans. Nothing was caught but I am still a little skeptical. Just have to wait for the nice weather to really open up the car and look around.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GF had a full size rat in the car. BIG one..... nice 2008 leather hybrid Camry. First night glue traps...ate the cheese right off the buffet..... Second night spring loaded traps. .....ate the peanut butter and cheese right off of both traps....set them both off....nothing...... next night found chewed up wiring harness under drivers seat.....next night traded into toyota dealership. ;)

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DO NOT USE POISON!

My grandpa put decon in his '78 Corvette PC when it was put in long term storage ('78-'96). We ended up having to replace the entire interior to get the smell out.

Nick

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first year i had the car in my old garage i had visitors move in.They stayed in the glove box.In the holes where the seat belts retract into and up onto of my motor.Make sure you get everything off the motor for it is one hell of a smell when you cook that mouse piss with the heat.Check your seat belts make sure they did not chew any of them to halves as safety is kindda important and the belt are one of the major helpers in safety.i now have little mouse hotels in my garage.They come with a key so pets and kids cannot get to the poisin.The poison cubs work great and you know you have them because the black pelletys become poison cube green.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery