Moving front calipers to the rear?

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have SRT brakes in the front of my 96 GTS and I'm interested in moving the factory front calipers to the rear. I'm sure this has been done, so could anyone tell me what's involved? Does someone make the adapter brackets, or do I have to fab these myself? If so, are they just machined 3/8" aluminum plate?

Since the parking brake would no longer work, do most people just relocate the factory rear caliper to the top of the rotor to retain the E-brake? Do you need to do this on both sides?

Thanks in advance!

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is done on mine because i have a Baer big brake kit in front, but i bought it that way so not too sure how it was done.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how you are planning to drive the car (roadrace/street) but you must be carefull with the brake bias when doing this. It may be a good idea to put a proportion valve on, I've seen many Vipers on the track lock 'em up when mixing and matching calipers.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how you are planning to drive the car (roadrace/street) but you must be carefull with the brake bias when doing this. It may be a good idea to put a proportion valve on, I've seen many Vipers on the track lock 'em up when mixing and matching calipers.

Good point. I have a Wilwood proportioning valve installed on mine too. :2tu:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PartsRack sells the late Dave's Big Brake Upgrade kits and I just talked to JonB him about a BBK upgrade last week. Give him a call. He can give you all of the details you need. However, Jon also has a killer/sweet deal on Stoptech big brake kit upgrade packages too. Additionally, there is a detailed how-to on installing Dave's BBK upgrade in the Illustrated Upgrade's section (for members).

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
YIKES! You have SRTs on the front, and OEs rear on a 96 ?!? Spin Much?!?

We can provide a half-kit to move your OE fronts rearward. SOON I hope!!

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
would putting these calipers on the rear make a non-abs car a lot harder to lock up in a panic stop?

OP
OP
Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info and tips. Surprisingly, I haven't had any issues yet with the current brake system that's on the car (I bought it this way), but I haven't had it on the track either which would no doubt show I needed more rear bias.

It looks like I'll probably get the back half of the DBB kit to move my OEM fronts to the rear and add a Wilwood proportioning valve. One question, looking at the pics on Dave's site, it looks like he's using a specialty ebrake caliper. Is this a must, or can the factory (anemic) caliper be used?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang