mustangs

RobH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why do mustang owners constantly try to race vipers. my wife and i were sitting at a light and one ***** smoked his wheels, dribbled a few yards, popped his clutch, then drove away with his hand on his face. i don't get it??

i hate horsin around with those idiots.

srtease

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody tries to race the Viper - and who can blame them? I get Hondas, minivans, and everything else out there. After all, win or lose - it's always fun to be able to tell your friends you raced a Viper, no matter what you drive. :2tu:

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it as a compliment RobH. Y2k5, I dont know what it is with Honda drivers, but they always think they are fast :) Minivans and buicks never race, and are always in my way. I avoid them like cement trucks. My favorite people are the ones who cant stand to be behind my Cayenne Turbo (dont know what is it) and think they are getting around me ;)

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lots of time, they just want you to go for it and see how fast the viper can go. Happenned to me a couple times and after I peel away, they come runnning up with thumbs up to me.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
why do mustang owners constantly try to race vipers. my wife and i were sitting at a light and one ***** smoked his wheels, dribbled a few yards, popped his clutch, then drove away with his hand on his face. i don't get it??

srtease

Wow great way to generalize an entire group of automotive enthusiasts because of a few experiences. I own a cobra, and there are numerous other "mustang idiots" that never even street race. The viper is a rare car to see on the streets. It is exciting. People want to see you get on the gas even if they know they will lose. Big deal. I hate to break it to you, but a viper is much closer to a lowly mustang than a Viper is to a Lambo, Saleen s7, Aston Martins, Ferrari's etc. Average income of a Mustang cobra driver is around 100k. The average income of a viper owner is around 240k. The average income of a ferrari, lambo driver is many times higher, with much higher net worths. I am sorry, but your post sounds so elitist. The viper is a raw american sports car that is a rarity on the street. People want to see someone step on it a bit just because its exciting. I bet you wouldn't be saying this if it was a gallardo next to you smashing the pedal? Even though that gallardo owner and "lowly" mustang owner both have the same interest; cars.

This is not to say there aren't assholes. But that is what you get when you have a very mass produced and affordable car. But the MAJORITY of Cobra and maybe even GT owners are pretty damn down to earth...maybe you should consider things in a bigger picture before commenting so harshly huh?

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow great way to generalize an entire group of automotive enthusiasts because of a few experiences.

.... and you expect him to break it down somehow? Your generalization of income brackets being the determination of what vehicle a person drives is a pretty general statement.

Mike-Tampa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don,
Good job.......
I get Mustang offers all the time b/c they are so common compared to
the Viper.I think it's the rice burners that bother me the most though.
But all in all, we are "car crazy" and appreciate what we have no matter
what our income level is.
Mike

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipers evoke a passionate response from many who share the road with us (and of course from all of us). The response varies from a thumbs up...to someone at a gas station clicking away with cell phone camera, to just wanting to see the beast accelerate hard. It's inevitable that others will push/tease/taunt the Viper driver to display the potential of the horses under the hood. I am on the road 7 days a week with mine and it happens a lot and mostly it's from drivers of vehicles that are not competitive with the Viper but just want to see the snake pull away. To drive a Viper without being bothered, is to understand that this behavior from others is just being social...sort of acknowledgement and an invitation to play for a brief moment. Personally, my driving skills are so average that I never accelerate hard from a stop. I also greet other sports cars like mustangs, vettes and foreign imports, with the same courtesy that I would another Viper.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow great way to generalize an entire group of automotive enthusiasts because of a few experiences.

.... and you expect him to break it down somehow? Your generalization of income brackets being the determination of what vehicle a person drives is a pretty general statement.

Im sorry, but you completely misunderstood my points. My income bracket statement was merely a rough estimate from figures I heard in regard to cobra and viper ownership. A cobra on this board is usually "just a mustang" and that is close to the point the OP is trying to make with "mustang idiots." I was just trying to show that mustang and viper ownership from a financial justification for a weekend toy is much closer than say a Viper and a Ferrari. But some members here drive a viper and get insulted by "lower" class vehicles testing their road dominance...or something sad.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not so much lower class vehicles. To be more correct it would be age of the drivers. Punks for the most part. The drivers in the Mustangs and WRX, etc are generally high school age or so. Doubtful they are in the 100k income class (wherever you got that figure from :confused: ).

And yes, some scare me because I do not think they can control their car adequately. And even if they can it is not a contest that is worth the gas used.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the average income of COBRA owners I said, not all mustangs. Mustang cobra is around a 34,750 price tag and it is mostly a weekend toy. It actually is pretty fitting as the Viper is a little over double that price and is also a weekend toy for the most part. V6 mustangs are around 19k but are generally used as daily drivers. You will not see many "punks" driving new cobras. The used market is a different story, but I am not really talking about that and nor is any of this really my point;)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is NO way the average income of cobra drivers is near 100K.

absolutely NO WAY

all of the cobra guys i see and run with are a lot younger than me (im 37)most are in the early 20's and i know a bunch of them and not one of them make anywhere near 100K.

and i know most cobra drivers CAN drive thier cars well. most of the cobra's are as fast as a stock viper and they can outdrive a lot of viper owners.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will not see many "punks" driving new cobras. The

You do around here. Probably a graduation gift from mom and dad :)

I drive by the high school parking lots and they are filled with that type of car.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
exactly. and im pretty sure they dont make 100 grand

and average viper owner taking in 240K is BS too.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
plumcrazy, im really not trying to stir the ***. But I think you might be confusing what im saying. The average buyer of a BRAND NEW mustang cobra is not a 20 year old. I was 22 and definately made under 100k but I was not the norm, though I may have stuck out more. After a few years the cobras are affordable by anyone. To a lesser extent, the viper becomes affordable if you have income for a weekend toy. I am not referring to the average income of used car buyers. Hell I see a LOT of 20 somethings in older gen 1 and 2 vipers that probably cost them the same amount of money as my loaded 350z or cobra. But honestly, the average income of new car buyers to the viper is about 240 and about 100k as was documented in Forbes from a while ago and was discussed in these forums. I will not be at 240k anytime soon, but will be in the market for a USED viper relatively soon.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That 240k figure for the Viper is way off. The 100k for the Cobra owner, too high as well. Neither are close to that. Not that I have specific numbers......but common sense logic tells you those numbers are not right.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That 240k figure for the Viper is way off. The 100k for the Cobra owner, too high as well. Neither are close to that. Not that I have specific numbers......but common sense logic tells you those numbers are not right.

DITTO

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
What is your income if you own both(new)? I think forbes mag.(snobby elitist) is full of crap. I'd say the average income for a NEW Cobra owner is $60K and a NEW Viper owner about $100K. I'm not offended by either one wanting to give me a run. I get many looks and compliments on my Viper but likewise I also get many of each when I'm in my Cobra. And I have to admit I love the exhaust sound and S/C whine of my modded Cobra.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without having the numbers it is hard to determine. I would expect the median incomes to be similar to 60-80 for the Mustang and 120-150 for the Viper. Remember these are new car purchasers and not current owners.

The numbers quoted may indeed be true if the billionaire buyers mucky up the averages.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I'm bringing in over 100K there is no way in hell I'm driving a mustang, cobra or not :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

wow...just wow. I know there are people that agree with me, though they may not speak up to side with the "newb." That statement is very laughable. Most millionaires don't spend a lot of money on a car. MOST of them buy a car that is a few years old. I grew up in Birmingham michigan which is extremely posh and wealthy. A lot of old money. Many 100-150k a year people drive accords, explorers,etc. They cant justify the price to performance ratio of high maintance and performance vehicles. My mom's boyfriend makes about 175k a year and drives an Accord. He does not understand why I would "blow" 37k on a 350z "toy car."

Sure you have people that have high debt to income ratios and have BMW 7 series, Vipers, Ferrari's etc. But they arent any "richer" than people that have average cars and ridiculous 401k's stocks, etc. Sure there are very wealthy people that have exotic cars and have great bank accounts. But those are fewer and further between. The majority are driving the 2 year lease vehicles, with a nice home in a nice area, and have a lot of money in the bank for retirement or other business opportunities. When they are old they may indulge more. But your statement sir, is far from reality. IMO.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just to add. Lets say you are making 100k. Unless you pay cash 85k on a brand new viper (75k-85) you are looking at a very hefty payment. Lets say the average 100k person could somehow pull a 20k desposit. That would be a finance of about 50-65k that would be amortized over 5 years. I don't have my mortgage calculator handy atm, but we are looking at a payment of about 1000 a month. Add in insurance. Now lets assume you have a 2k a month mortgage payment of a 300,000 dollar house. We are at 3k on house and car. Now I know you got to have another vehicle for the viper to be a toy. So lets add another misc 2k a month for other vehicles, taxes, insurance, food, family, social, etc. We are at about 5k CASH. Now that 100k is about 8.5k a month ON PAPER. That is an EXTREMELY high DTI. So i really think that if you make 100k and you are ashamed of driving a 35k toy, you don't have your priorities straight;)

OP
OP
R

RobH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
woah... weeeee... sorry to have stirred up such a hornets nest over income. I hate to break it to you but, both my wife and i are unemployed losing our jobs to foreign countries oversees. my point had nothing to do with being an elitist, as much as it did our being a couple of regular joes that don't want to bothered by little children who exude their manhood by smoking their wheels and then covering their faces. and i didn't see any thumbs anywhere. we realize we are in a high end vehicle and that there are other high end vehicles out there that are very worthy viper competitors. But my point had more to do with a class and age of people not their finacial prowess. my father is a millionaire and i couldn't give two hoots over who has what and who doesn't because we got ours.

here is to all my V buddies for the defense. As for term... please get a viper before you start commenting about how VIPER OWNERS should be reacting to silly little boys riding horses:O
:nono:

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For some reason, I don't have many challenges from cars. However, the bikes are another story. I have been driving the viper to work around 3 days a week. I have bikes testing me constantly. I get very worried about having a clown 18 inches from my door riding a wheelie at 65mph. It also gets old having their exhaust in my ear while they rev to 18,000 RPM.

Income thing from article is B.S.,,at least for me, ---if I made $240k a year I'd buy a wrecked enzo and start rebuilding it...!

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
woah... weeeee... sorry to have stirred up such a hornets nest over income. I hate to break it to you but, both my wife and i are unemployed losing our jobs to foreign countries oversees. my point had nothing to do with being an elitist, as much as it did our being a couple of regular joes that don't want to bothered by little children who exude their manhood by smoking their wheels and then covering their faces. and i didn't see any thumbs anywhere. we realize we are in a high end vehicle and that there are other high end vehicles out there that are very worthy viper competitors. But my point had more to do with a class and age of people not their finacial prowess. my father is a millionaire and i couldn't give two hoots over who has what and who doesn't because we got ours.

here is to all my V buddies for the defense. As for term... please get a viper before you start commenting about how VIPER OWNERS should be reacting to silly little boys riding horses:O
:nono:

You still don't seem to get the point, so I will just let up before this becomes total flamebait out of respect for the site. However I do not need to own a viper before hypothesizing about how one could or should react. It is cognitive reasoning many individuals have that allows them to debate and discuss issues...even if it is not completely pertinent to their situation. That is reasonable correct? K thanks and enjoy your car and realize that the majority of car enthusiasts just want to see you get on the car a bit. My posts have not really been flamebait. Nor were they meant to be that way. Of course you will get some "low lifes" when there are MILLIONS of that particular car out there. But that is a far cry from having an ability to generalize a particular car buyer...hence your title "MUSTANGS." that is all.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

srtease

Wow great way to generalize an entire group of automotive enthusiasts because of a few experiences. I own a cobra, and there are numerous other "mustang idiots" that never even street race. The viper is a rare car to see on the streets. It is exciting. People want to see you get on the gas even if they know they will lose. Big deal. I hate to break it to you, but a viper is much closer to a lowly mustang than a Viper is to a Lambo, Saleen s7, Aston Martins, Ferrari's etc. Average income of a Mustang cobra driver is around 100k. The average income of a viper owner is around 240k. The average income of a ferrari, lambo driver is many times higher, with much higher net worths. I am sorry, but your post sounds so elitist. The viper is a raw american sports car that is a rarity on the street. People want to see someone step on it a bit just because its exciting. I bet you wouldn't be saying this if it was a gallardo next to you smashing the pedal? Even though that gallardo owner and "lowly" mustang owner both have the same interest; cars.

This is not to say there aren't assholes. But that is what you get when you have a very mass produced and affordable car. But the MAJORITY of Cobra and maybe even GT owners are pretty damn down to earth...maybe you should consider things in a bigger picture before commenting so harshly huh?
So Terminator how is your Mustang running? :2tu:

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
its been lowered, kenne belle blower swap, Full exhaust, nitto drag radials, custom chip tuned by a good guy out in mt clemens, 4.10 gears, and a few other things for 612rwhp and it runs outstanding:) total cost of upgrades was about 7k. But then I sold my old blower and exhaust for a decent sum of money so it was alot cheaper than that. Its a great car, and a few viper owners have them too and love them. I cant wait to add a viper to the stable. But first I have to sell my 350z and save some more money.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

srtease

Yeah I get it all the time. I just let them think I will race them and then watch them take off. Very funny to watch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte