My G5 problem...

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started up this AM, shortly thereafter idle got a bit rough and stopped. Started again, and same thing happened two more times. Last time, would not start at all, only got what sounded like a 1/4 turn on starter, if that.

Replaced battery with new one...same thing, won't start like above. No codes. Digital screen kept scrolling on its own. Kept pressing starter button, same result as above. A few times heard what sounded like arching or a very small back fire in engine compartment. Could not turn off accessory position on started button...until 3 or 4 trys.

Car has 800 miles, has always ran perfect without any sign of a problem of any kind. Last driven 5 days ago.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds a lot like what happened with my new Durango. Have you tried pulling out the red push button and using your key fob? I was told by the dealership to do that then turn the ignition (but do not start the car) four times then on the fifth time crank it over. It works, but still don't know what's wrong with it til they can get it in.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe it is the ignition starter? maybe just few knocks on the assembly will awake it idk..
good luck

TRACKDAY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any update?

Not good Snake. Car had no oil pressure, but full on oil and no leaks. Chuck took the oil pump apart, found metal shavings on the face of it and closed it back up. Car awaiting transport back to WoodHouse for evaluation and warranty work...:(

I feel for you. Hopefully, they can correct the problem and get you back on the road.

Good luck.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not good Snake. Car had no oil pressure, but full on oil and no leaks. Chuck took the oil pump apart, found metal shavings on the face of it and closed it back up. Car awaiting transport back to WoodHouse for evaluation and warranty work...:(

Oh good Lord man. That is awful. That really *****.

OP
OP
F

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems my problem has been solved, as a result of Chuck and Mark teaming up to figure it out...

There were aluminum shavings on the inside of the oil pump cover, left over from milling/manufacturing of the oil pump cover, which was probably missed during inspection/installation. One or more of the shavings worked its way into the oil pressure relief valve (PRV), causing an oil blockage that suddenly led to no oil pressure, and unable to restart engine per the original post.

Chuck thoroughly cleaned out the PRV, and the car started right up and ran perfect. He then drove it for 30 or so miles (ran like a top), changed oil/filter again, no shavings, and he feels they didn't work their way inside the engine. I was obviously fortunate that it was caught very early, right in my driveway. Anyway, the problem is noted at Woodhouse in the event something further develops. Car is at Tator's awaiting transport to sunny Florida, for some serious driving, on roads that make the ones up north look and feel like cattle trails.

Special thanks to Mark Jorgensen, whose strong contacts at SRT and Arrow proved very helpful. The Pemberton/Jorgensen team at WoodHouse rule 'ViperVille' in my experienced opinion. Collectively they have done many important favors for me...cannot imagine not buying my Viper from Bill!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, glad it got fixed. You went through a real roller coaster ride of an experience. You can't go wrong with Woodhouse or the Wizard for that matter.