My Hood Doesn't Stay Up - What to do?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure there have been posts on this subject in the past, but search came up with everything on hoods BUT this subject.

So, thought I'd ask:

When open, most of the time, the hood slowly begins to close on its own and then...SLAM....unless I catch it first. I have improvised with my son's small lacrosse stick (plastic), but the look is say......less then stellar!:nono:

Any suggestions? Are there any aftermarket hood props similar to the one on the trunk?:dunno:

Thanks much.:2tu:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too much lube/grease on the hinges? Try removing "some" of that and that might help it stay open??:dunno:

What Chip said. Spray some degreaser on the hinges/springs and clean off. It may just save the embarrassment of the un-sightly hood prop.........................................:omg::omg:

:D :D :D

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Golf clubs are about the right length, lightwieght, thin, waterproof, and the rubber handle doesn't harm the manifold paint. I have one that the head that has been "removed" so the tip fits into the holes in the hood underside. Nothing like a Big Bertha hood rod.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Golf clubs are about the right length, lightwieght, thin, waterproof, and the rubber handle doesn't harm the manifold paint. I have one that the head that has been "removed" so the tip fits into the holes in the hood underside. Nothing like a Big Bertha hood rod.

:lmao: Always thinking Tom! :lmao:

New hinges MSRP $163.50 each [less 20%, in stock] :cool:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, okay.....got it!

I have not lubed the hinges since I bought the car last May. I will check to see if there is alot of grease on them. I think a nice custom cue stick might work nicely...as for Big Bertha, I have a new set of Callaway irons and driver....not likely I would opt to use for holding up my hood.

Considered painting my hood vents white and then getting a white cue stick to match......:eater:

I agree that a hood prop of any kind is not the best looking option....I could do one of three things:

• Ask (nicely) my wife to stand and model next to the car, discretly holding the hood up, or
  • Hire a model (yeah, that would happen!) to hold up the hood
  • Ask Chad
to "lend" me one of his "friends" to hold it up:lmao:

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

:2tu:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next choice - look at the frame holding the hood. There is a notch built in for what looks a like 2x4 to rest in. I've never done it, but wonder if a block of some kind would look nicer and keep the hood high enough. It certainly would not be in the way, like the cue stick/golf shaft could be.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an extra camera tripod that I took a leg off of. I now use it for a prop when it is windy. It collapses nicely and is light and tasteful--as a prop can be, that is.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vise grip the hindge-if that dont work take a hammer and beat it closer so its hard to move:lmao::2tu:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good, uhhhhhh, suggestions!

I think they should have just opted to make it a little bigger and the entire body would flip up...just like funny cars! Then they could have built in some nice hydraulics to hold the whole thing up.:headbang:

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vise grip the hindge-if that dont work take a hammer and beat it closer so its hard to move:lmao::2tu:

Also don't rule out welding the hinge open next time it is up.Less unsightly than a cue stick and more permanent than degreasing. Of course it will be on permanent display wherever you do that.

Ron

Slowsupratt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sell the hood, they are worth a pretty penny. That way you don't have to ever worry about opening the hood ever again!:2tu:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
  • Ask Chad
to "lend" me one of his "friends" to hold it up:lmao:

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

:2tu:

Have one of Chad's ******'s Girls rub up against it. That should keep it up.:D

Here's one of my favorite "Viper" photos I have and its surprisingly relevant to this topic :D Shortly after this photo, she got some boltons are her own :headbang: The bad news is, shortly after that, she quit ******* :dunno: She was actually going to go to NOPI with me that year and be my official McV model, but that fell through b/c she was still "recovering" from the surgery :( We lost touch with each other and thats a real bummer :(

You must be registered for see images attach

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will have to check the grease on my 93. I have found that a short shovel works well.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's one of my favorite "Viper" photos I have and its surprisingly relevant to this topic :D Shortly after this photo, she got some boltons are her own :headbang: The bad news is, shortly after that, she quit ******* :dunno: She was actually going to go to NOPI with me that year and be my official McV model, but that fell through b/c she was still "recovering" from the surgery :( We lost touch with each other and thats a real bummer :(

So how much did the bolt-ons cost you?

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine stayed up fine on a level surface - when parked on the incline of my driveway it was kind of iffy. When degreasing my engine I sprayed the hinges too. Hood creaks a little when opening but stays up with no problem.