My left side axles is making a clicking sound

iceman1234

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 1995 RT/10 my left side axle is making a clinking sound when I turn at slow speeds. I changed all the u joins and put in new rear end gears so I know its not from that can some one help thank you.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What type of differential fluid did you use ?

Limited slip additive ??

Have you been able to look at it on a lift yet ?

OP
OP
I

iceman1234

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The sound is coming from the left wheel could it be the bearing or something in the hub? I did put the additive in the differential I know its not coming from the differential.I put it on a lift and it makes no noise when the tire has no load on it.

Last edited:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last spring I had a similar sound coming from my left rear..... clink, clink, clink with each tire rotation.

I get it off the ground and pulled the wheel to poke around a bit. Everything was tight and I couldn't find any slop. Frustrated, I have a look at the tire and discovered a nail head (it had had a slow leak for a while). Having given up on the source of the "clink" sound, I decide to pull the tire and patch the leak. Low and behold, the nail head turned out to be a 1/4" spike about 4" long! It was tapping the inner rim with each rotation!!

Not that this story will help much... It was a freak thing for sure! Just the same, you may want to have a look at your tire since you've probably removed the wheel.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some threads about re-torque-ing the hub nuts. Seems like Mr.Chuck Tator aka Viper Wizard has some good tips on the subject too. Search and you might find that info.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search complete :smirk: : Jack her up, take the wheel off, have someone standing on the brakes and then re-torque the axle nut to 150 ft lbs. Put the wheel back on [lug nuts, 95 ft lbs], let her down and let us know if that helped.

Problems are solved by the process of elimination. :hmmm:

Thanks Tony!

OP
OP
I

iceman1234

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am going to go down the list and try all the suggestions and do a proses of elimination I will post up my result's thank you all for your help.