My New 04 SRT on the way - Mod or Not?

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my Black 04 SRT-10 is on the way. My question is.

I would like to increase performance but I do not want to do anything too radical as to make resale or maintenance a problem. I have been cruising the forums and web sites reading about header kits yielding 50 RWHP and other natually aspirated upgrades showing some amazing numbers. Since it seems most of you have either done these upgrades already or know someone that has, what do you recommend? Note I'm not looking to do 9 sec 1/4 mile. Just a nice edge over stock vipers and other close competitors. And I am in Cali.

Any help is much appreciated!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is painfully stock right now, however I am in the same boat as you with the same idea of mods. With that in mind, here is what I am leaning towards that should keep the warranty whole - and thus the resale decent:

1. Belanger headers
2. Catback exhaust (not sure on manufacturer)
3. K&N filters and/or intake (if they ever make them)
4. 3.45 or 3.54 rear gears
5. VEC2

I have heard many times that the SRT will get a nice "SOTP" (seat of the pants) boost from better gearing. The 3.07's have to the most tame gears in all of the sports car world. Not sure what I can expect from the VEC2, but if it will allow you to adjust the air/fuel mix (too rich from the factory) then it should see some gains. My goal is to get as much horsepower for as little money as possible - I have every last spare penny invested in the car itself!

Good luck, and congrats on the new car.

Chris

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also considering some header kits. Jury is still out for me on this. I guess I'm still just a bit skeptical of the 50 RWHP numbers. If they're real, then it seems worth it. I don't want to spend the money just for a louder exhaust, however.

One inexpensive mod that you won't regret is replacing the stock shift knob with an MGW First Strike knob. Best $85 you will ever spend on your new snake.

OP
OP
D

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Seems the headers and gears my be a good place to start. Keep me updated. My car won't be here for 4-6 weeks.

Reaction score
The best Performance upgrade for improving your road course time is a driving school. Start with Skip Barber and learn how to drive in their cars.

Want more then go to Viper Day's and put your car or their CC or Neon on a race track. Motor sports are dangerous and have risk. So caution is advised.

A driver with 100 extra hp and no performance driving school or track experience will be spanked by the trained driver. Skill can not be replaced by HP.

At Viper Days at Button Willow and Thunder I saw a Neon(very good driver) beat the times of many Vipers(little perfromance track experience).

Understanding how to drive also make street driving safer. Looking ahead is a very important element for both speed and safety.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One inexpensive mod that you won't regret is replacing the stock shift knob with an MGW First Strike knob. Best $85 you will ever spend on your new snake.
I definitely agree with this. The lowered knob was much better for me.

SMHOD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1. Belanger headers
2. Catback exhaust (not sure on manufacturer)
3. K&N filters and/or intake (if they ever make them)
4. 3.45 or 3.54 rear gears
5. VEC2

Chris,
What is VEC2?

Thanks,
Scott

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is VEC2?

This would be the Viper Engine Calibrator (version 2) from Roe Racing in Florida. What this device does is allow you to both monitor and adjust the air/fuel mixture and the timing in the Viper's Power Control Module (PCM). The PCM is factory programmed to provide a certain air/fuel mix and spark advance under different engine loads. The problem with the SRT that has been mentioned more than a few times is that the factory sets it to run VERY rich and basically dump raw fuel into the cats to keep them cool - at least that is what my very limited understanding is from what I have read here. I have been told that if you could lean it out you could gain 10-12 rwhp, maybe more. Here is the thread on it along with a mention of the VEC that should be interesting reading.

Hope this helps!

Chris

SMHOD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This would be the Viper Engine Calibrator (version 2) from Roe Racing in Florida. What this device does is allow you to both monitor and adjust the air/fuel mixture and the timing in the Viper's Power Control Module (PCM). The PCM is factory programmed to provide a certain air/fuel mix and spark advance under different engine loads. The problem with the SRT that has been mentioned more than a few times is that the factory sets it to run VERY rich and basically dump raw fuel into the cats to keep them cool - at least that is what my very limited understanding is from what I have read here. I have been told that if you could lean it out you could gain 10-12 rwhp, maybe more. Here is the thread on it along with a mention of the VEC that should be interesting reading.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, I read that thread before but missed the reference to the VEC2. It sounds like it may not be available until summer at least.

Scott

Viper 24

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Contact DC Performance in Santa Monica. I am planning to do the following based input from other SRT owners who've done upgrades and Dan's advise:

Engine tuning module - Dyno tests have shown a rich setting from factory
Light weight flywheel
3:54 gears
K&N filter/tube set
Dyno before/after

I already have a Borla exhaust so HP improvements should be modest. Overall thrust should signficantly improve with gear change and lighter flywheel.

DC Performance phone # (310) 841.6966. Give them a call, they really know how to get more HP out of the SRT motor.

JM

SRT 10 2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my Black 04 SRT-10 is on the way. My question is.

I would like to increase performance but I do not want to do anything too radical as to make resale or maintenance a problem. I have been cruising the forums and web sites reading about header kits yielding 50 RWHP and other natually aspirated upgrades showing some amazing numbers. Since it seems most of you have either done these upgrades already or know someone that has, what do you recommend? Note I'm not looking to do 9 sec 1/4 mile. Just a nice edge over stock vipers and other close competitors. And I am in Cali.

Any help is much appreciated!

-The guy at West coast Viper said they do they exhaust/header combo for 6500 installed, gaining 30rwhp and 60rw torque, dyno proven. I am leaning towards that for now, and it keeps the car smog legal and warranty intact

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang