My new stripes!

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got my Viper back from the paintshop this evening. The stripes look absolutely stunning, going from a medium steel grey to nearly black, depending upon how the light is bouncing off of the metal flakes. I'm very happy with it and had to share!

Got home too late this evening to take pictures in the setting sun, so I snapped a few in the garage.

You must be registered for see images

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks GREAT. red/black stripes was high on my color list. and these look better then just black!

OP
OP
M

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, the stripes run head to toe covering everything, and they're under the clear to boot, so you can't feel an edge. The paint guys really did a great job.

OP
OP
M

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's painted right? How much was it?

Yes. I went the expensive route and had the body disassembled, sanded, stripes were painted and the whole car was clearcoated, reassembled, wet sanded and buffed. You can't feel the edges of the stripes. It's completely smooth. Cost was $2500.

I know that you can paint the stripes ontop of your clearcoat and save a lot of money (I heard cost was ~$1000), but I had vinyl stripes before and the thickness of the stripes really bugged me. The edges would trap dirt and wax. I didn't want there to be an edge on my stripes.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's painted right? How much was it?

Yes. I went the expensive route and had the body disassembled, sanded, stripes were painted and the whole car was clearcoated, reassembled, wet sanded and buffed. You can't feel the edges of the stripes. It's completely smooth. Cost was $2500.

I know that you can paint the stripes ontop of your clearcoat and save a lot of money (I heard cost was ~$1000), but I had vinyl stripes before and the thickness of the stripes really bugged me. The edges would trap dirt and wax. I didn't want there to be an edge on my stripes.

Thanks... I have a perpetual need to tear my vinyls off and get my snake painted. Yours look awesome btw. :2tu:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.....
I may be slightly biased.....

But I think they look.. :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:
I am envious as hell. I want to have mine painted on as well, but have been quoted double your cost. Plus the fact the car has to be disassembled....I don't know who to trust to do the job locally here.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quote...I know that you can paint the stripes ontop of your clearcoat and save a lot of money (I heard cost was ~$1000), but I had vinyl stripes before and the thickness of the stripes really bugged me. The edges would trap dirt and wax. I didn't want there to be an edge on my stripes.

[/QUOTE]

I recently saw a few cars with stock stripes and it appeared that they had noticeable edges. Is this right, or was I drunk or somthing? :bonker:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is definitely a small "bump" on the factory stripes I have felt. Not an edge like vinyl, but certainly a discernable raised bump.

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! $2,500? I may have to turn mine into a bumblebee at that price!!

Hot..Hot..look!

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stripes look sweet, congrats!!.. I noticed the Pantera, I've got a pristine 72 Pre-L car that I'm going to need to sell ASAP to make room in the (overcrowded) garage for a Viper. Spend any time on the Pantera Forum?

Take care.
john

OP
OP
M

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spend any time on the Pantera Forum?

As much as I can. :) There isn't a whole heck of a lot going on with Panteras on a daily basis these days. I have lots o plans for mine, but I seem to spend all my extra money on the Viper instead. hehehehehe

Will take some photos of the Viper in the sun today and post tonight.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same thing done to my Gen1 and love it! Totally changes the car. I went with silver metalic stripes though. I paid a little bit more, I believe 3K but well worth the money in my mind. I will do the same thing to my next Viper if I buy one without stripes.