My personal impressions of the Gen V

als 08 viper acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the GEN V, but I'm sorry, the front end is not aggressive enough. End of story. It's too feminine. Hate my comment all you want, but it's true. It just doesn't flow, nor does it scream "get the f*ck outta my way". The front needs to be changed. Sorry.

Autin,

I agree you 100% & that is why I will keep my 2008 Viper ACR & hope when the NEW ACR is Revealed the FRONT Grille Area will be changed or maybe some aftermarket vendors will solve the issue.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autin,

I agree you 100% & that is why I will keep my 2008 Viper ACR & hope when the NEW ACR is Revealed the FRONT Grille Area will be changed or maybe some aftermarket vendors will solve the issue.

I almost hate to say it, but this post as well as others leads me to believe that the Gen V needs an ACR version to be successful. It would be hard to put a number on it, but I'm sure SRT is losing some initial sales because there is no vert and I'm sure no ACR has lost a few as well. I hope they hurry up.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Autin,

They will have to change that fugly front end among other things before I see myself dropping the $120-$130k the ACR will probably cost.

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed....the Volado Design Viper is probably one one the best looking Vipers hands down! SRT should have bought the rights for it.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all the ones that do not like the front end, you have another crowd that will like it and buy (I am one of them). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I agree with you guys that I hope the ACR gets a more aggressive front end but we will have to wait for it.
Most car manufacturers come out with one version of the new model and to keep excitement going, release another version every year or so. No reason to come up with the vert and the ACR now. Patience is a virtue :)

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.
[I/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement above. How ever, the design team messed up the front end of the gen V IMHO. The Ford folks knew not to mess with the original design of the Ford GT and came out with a stunning new model with modern technology, changing only the length of the car by one foot, to accomodate taller folks. Now you tell me, what percentage of car lovers not liking that car? To me it looks like a large percentage of Viper lovers dis the front end of the gen V. Porsche still follows the basic styling of the 911 [ except the Carrera GT ] because it's timeless, just like the gen II is. Ralph went back to the gen II design, albeit only partially.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For all the ones that do not like the front end, you have another crowd that will like it and buy (I am one of them). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That's true. But the thing is, in 1996, every eye of every beholder thought the updated front end was perfect on the GTS. Even most Corvette guys liked the front end of the GTS and it stood for something to be feared. If you saw a GTS in your rearview mirror, you were scared because you knew you were about to be passed by a beast. Now with the 2013 you will look in the rearview and think, Awwww what a pretty car. And you don't need corvette guys to tell you this, we the Viper owners are saying this! Most guys name their cars after girls, my GTS is the Terminator.

I was very impressed in person with the show car. It was amazing to see. The problem with this B/W GTS is this: (1) It shouldn't have been shown in public looking less than perfect with all those body gaps. Not only are the wheel wells an ode to the GEN2, it appears as though the front wheel wells have a bigger gap than the rear! (2) It shouldn't have dumbed down the looks of the show car with a plastic rear end, old school rims, and monotone interior. This isn't the 90's and it doesn't all go together like the original GTS. (3) They should have made the GTS have the Aggressive "base model" hood. These hoods should have been swapped. Why would I pay more for the ***** hood?

Ralph did a great job with the car and it's presentation, but this rendition is not following through. It should have never been mentioned that the body panels would have the tightest tolerances because it magnifies the imperfections even more. We expected a change in build quality, but I know from talking with people on the Viper project that they are indeed having trouble with body panel fitting. They may have fixed that by now, but this car should not have ever been shown in this condition. It's test mule quality.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I'm glad you all hate it so much: Prices will tank and it will become a cult favorite - And I'll be in that cult, drinking that kool-aid.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I'm glad you all hate it so much: Prices will tank and it will become a cult favorite - And I'll be in that cult, drinking that kool-aid.

I don't think that many hate it. The main issue is this launch edition was poorly done in comparison to the unveiling car. In fact, the only thing about the launch edition that people seem to like is the color combo itself. I haven't seen anyone say anything positive about the car other than that. That should speak volumes to SRT.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order for a Viper to be considered a winner in the looks department does it have to have stripes?

Last edited:

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Volado design is too busy. If the Gen V's headlights were horizontal I think it would fix most peoples complaints with the front end.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes bcmarly the front fascia is straight up fail. The rest of the car I love but the front just doesn't work for me.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow! I won't mention/qoute individuals but there are persons who were effin the car's awesomeness and drooled about it then suddenly they are haters now and not approving the car.

I myself, and many more, like the car and we have some concerns honestly but never to the level of hate, fail, or other silly words they used. The good thing is we trust SRT and those minor concerns can be tweaked.

In GEN V I TRUST.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saying how much you love the car doesn't help SRT one iota. Buying one does. A NEW one I might add.
Waiting to buy a used one in three years also doesn't help.
With all the new fanbois on the site it will be interesting to see who steps up and who is just a pom pom girl.

Say it with your checkbook. Flapping the lips doesn't cost a cent.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Volado design > Gen V big time imo. only thing i would change on the Volado would be side pipes. I concur with those that have said the Gen V NEEDS an ACR to be successful. Bushido - yeah they fukked up big time bringing that Viper to Pebble Beach. It looks incomplete and the workmanship pales next to some of the big players (i.e. wheel, panel gaps)

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saying how much you love the car doesn't help SRT one iota. Buying one does. A NEW one I might add.
With all the new fanbois on the site it will be interesting to see who steps up and who is just a pom pom girl.

I must say I agree....

Bill

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty hard to step up and buy one with no price tag. Sure I could maybe commit and pay a fantasy price right now with Monopoly money. Does that help? Bottomline is it is getting a little silly to have a 2013 model car coming out (now almost September, 2012) with no price fricken' tag. For those of us born without a silver spoon in our mouths, makes it pretty hard to commit to anything at this point.

Ford was horrible for this in the past. Release the show car or concept and then release the production car with the sticker almost 3 or 4 years after all the excitment was gone. With the Viper it is a slight exaggeration to clarify at this point but you get the idea as with so many choices out there, the stupidness of no price tags, no performance figures, basically nothing concrete at this point but a show car, race car, a few mules and some production potentials is a little crazy. How is anyone else out there with there six figures in hand going to take this all seriously?

BTW while the rims look a little cheaper than the 06/10 5 spokes, they are bordering on okay. NOT everyone likes black fricken rims. Personally I can't stand them and they are a fad that will die and hopefully in the next few years. Maybe it is just me, but I happend to like this launch edition. From certain angles, the car looks as good as the GEN II GTS. The picture from across the lawn and showing the rear 3/4 is stunning. The body line gaps ARE exaggerated in those photos, so do not judge the final product by those pictures. The only thing they should have changed on the Launch Edition was painted that rear tailight panel and rear window widows peak color with white stripes carrying through and added some Blue splashes of accent color in the interior. The height, while a little higher than hopefully fully production, is not terrible or fail. If the new GTS suspension is adjustible height set-up, then everyone wins right. Remember not everyone has highways like glass and 1 deg driveways. The car needs to fit a number of situations in the real world not just looks.

SRT will get it worked out as they have to, but they need to start nailing this stuff down and committing in writting to making this happen. It is starting to look more and more like an R&D science experiment. Sorry but for my $100K+ that I may or may not have to put forth for something like this, it is starting to look a little risky, especially with no real dealer support beyond the big boys in some areas.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree......there is to much 'Love this and Hate that' talk going on. The only thing that truly will make an impact in determining whether this was a good move or not by SRT is looking back at the initial sales numbers about a year or so from now.

My personal take is that the car hasn't grown on me like I was hoping. Now I haven't seen one in person and I am sure that will make a difference. So far the one thing that I have noticed is that the car doesn't seem to photograph very well....or the pictures are just bad.

Its certainly obvious that SRT brought back a lot from the GTS of old but maybe it was to soon for a 'retro' version. Maybe its a bit dated right off the bat. In the company of the cars pictured next to it in this thread, it doesn't stand out, that's for sure.

I am looking forward to seeing it in person and maybe even spend some time behind the wheel. This is ultimately what will make up my mind (+ how the dealer net work will be set up)

As many have said before....I am definitely glad to have my Gen 3.

Matt

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty hard to step up and buy one with no price tag. Sure I could maybe commit and pay a fantasy price right now with Monopoly money. Does that help?

The price will be released soon.....and then the excuses can start flying.
Seriously, if the car comes in 5 or 10K either way of what was expected (around 100K for the SRT and 120K for the GTS) and you love the design but that's a deal breaker you can't afford it anyway. Not you personally....in general.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The price will be released soon.....and then the excuses can start flying.
Seriously, if the car comes in 5 or 10K either way of what was expected (around 100K for the SRT and 120K for the GTS) and you love the design but that's a deal breaker you can't afford it anyway. Not you personally....in general.

What if the gen V comes in around $70k? What happens then? LOL

--RS

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen, this conversation is bland compared to the conversations that centered around the change from Gen II to Gen III. The Viper is about passion and that means passionate conversations. No problem as long as we don't attack the person who has a different opinion. We don't have to agree with his/her choice but we should respect it. Speaking with courage, candor and courtesy will carry the day.

As for looks. I'd like to see round fog lights on the front fascia, but it's not a deal stopper for me. I too am looking forward to a GTS-R derived ACR.

I'd like to remind everyone that the original Viper was to be an update of the spirit of the Cobra. Also remember that Shelby couldn't sell all the 427 Cobras he had in stock. He himself was looking for an update to the Cobra when he went out of the business of building Cobras. No one was buying Cobras at that time.

Another example, Ferrari was selling ************ street versions of his racing cars. Only when the cars became more streetable did the Ferrari sales take off.

The migration from a barely streetable race car to a street car is typical of a company that wants to stay in business. There simply isn't a big enough market for barely streetable race cars. Never was. What's neat about the Gen V is that you can turn off all the aids, except brakes, and have a a barely streetable race car. Further, if you chose to leave the aids on, you have a legitimate daily driver and Grand Touring car.

IMHO, once the cars start getting on the street and to track days, the opinions will be swayed by performance. IF the promised quality and performance is there. However, it will take the aftermarket to let each owner satisfy the individual styling urge.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice! So this is how you propose to elevate the conversation: we'll divide into 2 camps; those who like the Gen V and those who don't. Those who like it better step up to the plate and buy one. Based on your convoluted and childish logic maybe you best take one for the SRT team and purchase one yourself; after all if you want to see the brand survive you're just gonna have to put your money where your mouth is.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice! So this is how you propose to elevate the conversation: we'll divide into 2 camps; those who like the Gen V and those who don't. Those who like it better step up to the plate and buy one. Based on your convoluted and childish logic maybe you best take one for the SRT team and purchase one yourself; after all if you want to see the brand survive you're just gonna have to put your money where your mouth is.

LOL I have stepped up to the plate more than once for Dodge, noob. And you?
Post up when you get your car, till then you're another wannabe flapping his lips.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're funny...Dodge needs your help now and remember it has to be a new one. Your brand loyalty is admirable, don't stop now. Until then you're just another loud mouth desperately clinging onto the previous generation model.

LOL I have stepped up to the plate more than once for Dodge, noob. And you?
Post up when you get your car, till then you're another wannabe flapping his lips.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang