My second round of mods-Car is going to RSI

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after much consideration, going back and forth with a few different tuners as well as different build options, NA, TT or SC, I have decided to go with RSI's Paxton build. Will has been nothing more then helpful and very patient with me along the way. They are arranging all the shipping and I hope the car is picked up with in the next week and is on its way to RSI!

Paxton "Tuner" Kit Supercharger Complete System for 2003-2006 Dodge Viper -Polished
RSI Stage 2 Fuel System
- Stage 2 Line Kit
- RSI Fuel Pump Hanger
- Twin Walbro 255 Pumps
- PNP Wiring Harness
- Fuelab Regulator
- Deka Injectors

I'm also supplying an AEM w/ a John Reed harness. RSI will do the install and a full dyno tune.
While there ill have the intake manifold polished and have the valve covers redone to get the engine bay looking ****!

650RWHP will be simple and easy with this set up and will keep me happy until I move forward with their fully built forged motor. That will be my "Third" round of mods! :)

I will keep this thread updated with pics through out this process and of course a dyno sheet at the very end!

Last edited:

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just do the TT and don't waste the money on a Paxton. Coming from me who went N/A to Paxton and Now TT

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just do the TT and don't waste the money on a Paxton. Coming from me who went N/A to Paxton and Now TT

Trust me been over this a gazolian times. If this was a gen two with a forged motor I would have done that route. I loved my paxton gen2 BTW, so I know ill be happy with this set up.

I have something diffrient in mind for my TT build which will cost me damn near what i paid for the car so this paxton build will have to do for now.

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AEM is a waste of time at that power level. I'm pushing over 900 rwhp with my Paxton, using the factory (more reliable) ECM and simple SCT tuning, using a Neon SRT4 2-bar MAP sensor.

I'd skip the AEM and harness unless you plan on going over 1000 rwhp. Your car won't pass emissions OBD2 testing with the AEM.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AEM is a waste of time at that power level. I'm pushing over 900 rwhp with my Paxton, using the factory (more reliable) ECM and simple SCT tuning, using a Neon SRT4 2-bar MAP sensor.

I'd skip the AEM and harness unless you plan on going over 1000 rwhp. Your car won't pass emissions OBD2 testing with the AEM.

1krwhp is the plan but not till the end of the year. While the car is at RSI I want to take advantage of their skills and have the AEM installed and tuned as i have no one local to me to do the Job right.

You will never get the same quality of tune using SCT or equivalent as AEM. Any AEM done right works wonders and is trouble free. A few vendors picked up 50-60rwhp on stock vipers just switching to AEM. I want my car running as efficiently as it possible can with this set up.

Last edited:

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! RSI seems to be cleaning house as of late. I've seen ALOT of builds go to them.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your "round" of mods happen too quickly. I'm jealous!

Man I tell you, I didn't plan to dump so much money in to this car in just 5 months of ownership. **** just happens. I promissed my self I will give it a year until round 3! Need to slow my roll.

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Youll be very happy with this set of mods for sure. When will gets done you should enjoy this setup for a long while before the next step.
Anton is a great guy as is Will. Ill look forward to hearing about that thing tearin up the streets man :)

Todd

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Youll be very happy with this set of mods for sure. When will gets done you should enjoy this setup for a long while before the next step.
Anton is a great guy as is Will. Ill look forward to hearing about that thing tearin up the streets man :)

Todd

Thanks Todd!

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I tell you, I didn't plan to dump so much money in to this car in just 5 months of ownership. **** just happens. I promissed my self I will give it a year until round 3! Need to slow my roll.
I know what you mean. I had to stop myself yesterday... I was on my way to doing a bunch of giggity green (my term for SSG) accents, both interior and exterior. I just need to get my car back and enjoy it first.

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I had to stop myself yesterday... I was on my way to doing a bunch of giggity green (my term for SSG) accents, both interior and exterior. I just need to get my car back and enjoy it first.
When will you have your car back

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will never get the same quality of tune using SCT or equivalent as AEM. Any AEM done right works wonders and is trouble free. A few vendors picked up 50-60rwhp on stock vipers just switching to AEM. I want my car running as efficiently as it possible can with this set up.

We aren't talking about stock Vipers. Stock tunes are always conservative. Tuning was no problem on my car with SCT software. Factory computer is FAR more reliable than AEM, especially since it still uses the OEM wiring harness. SCT isn't some plug-n-play if that is what you are thinking. It still requires custom dyno tuning to adjust parameters. Best of all, I can store 3 different tunes in the module and swap them out in 5 minutes. 93 pump tune, C16 tune, C16+N20 tune.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We aren't talking about stock Vipers. Stock tunes are always conservative. Tuning was no problem on my car with SCT software. Factory computer is FAR more reliable than AEM, especially since it still uses the OEM wiring harness. SCT isn't some plug-n-play if that is what you are thinking. It still requires custom dyno tuning to adjust parameters. Best of all, I can store 3 different tunes in the module and swap them out in 5 minutes. 93 pump tune, C16 tune, C16+N20 tune.

You can do more with the AEM vs SCT tune period. You can have as many tunes as you want with a AEM and change them in less than 5 min. The software is free for tuning and many shops around the world use it. I had just over 1k rwhp with it in my Paxton car with no N2O. The SCT is a nice set up for the $ but when you get passed a certain level it seems everyone is upgrading to something else.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have you ran an AEM and switched to SCT because of a personal preference? Where do you get your info from as far as AEM's reliability, personal experiance? For somereason i doubt that. I know your SCT set seems to working "fine" so you have no reason to change it. I'm going to start things off "my" way and do the AEM, do it right and enjoy the benefits of a well tunner AEM set up.

BTW my 600rwhp Roe GTS set up and then 900rwhp Paxton set up, both ran just "fine" on the VEC2 set up, which is what SCT is these days.If RSI and other tunners I have spoken to recomend I do an AEM if it's whinin my budget then that's what I'm going to do. Im not paying these people(RSI in my case) $$$$$ just so I DON'T take their advice which is based on hundreds of successfull viper builds. And NO, the AEM was not an upsell but something I have already purchased prior.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can do more with the AEM vs SCT tune period. You can have as many tunes as you want with a AEM and change them in less than 5 min. The software is free for tuning and many shops around the world use it. I had just over 1k rwhp with it in my Paxton car with no N2O. The SCT is a nice set up for the $ but when you get passed a certain level it seems everyone is upgrading to something else.

Your right! When I was doing my research I called 3 huge corvette shops that we have within a 100 mile radius. Everyone of them recomends and tunes AEM and don't even touch SCT.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SSG on black? Pics pics pics

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new AEM infinity box has great potential, it is teh first box that AEM actually design and gets manufactured themselves. I say potential because there are not that many out there yet and it is too soon to tell if they are going to last any better than the old ones did, but the potential is there and I have high hopes for their new offerings.

The old AEM boxes, I have heard of a few people that had no problems, and I have heard of quite a few that had issues with the chinese JET made boxes, I personally was stranded numerous times with mine and even though an SCT has less functionality, you have to determine what functionality you need and the costs that go with it and go with what you believe is best for you and your mods, if your tuner recommends a certain box to make their package perform to spec, then that is what you should get.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just about every high power Viper running the old AEM around here (1K + rwhp) has had their AEM unit fail. So yes, plenty of experience. We probably have more big power Vipers in Texas than any other state.

Just trying to save you the potential headache and the investment. But, it seems you have your mind made up. I built my own car, and it has performed better than most Paxton cars on this site, and not just dyno numbers. It went 206 in the standing mile on just the Paxton. At 650 rwhp you will not need the AEM. Above 1,000 rwhp - definitely need something other than stock computer. I'm at that limit now.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just about every high power Viper running the old AEM around here (1K + rwhp) has had their AEM unit fail. So yes, plenty of experience. We probably have more big power Vipers in Texas than any other state.

Just trying to save you the potential headache and the investment. But, it seems you have your mind made up. I built my own car, and it has performed better than most Paxton cars on this site, and not just dyno numbers. It went 206 in the standing mile on just the Paxton. At 650 rwhp you will not need the AEM. Above 1,000 rwhp - definitely need something other than stock computer. I'm at that limit now.

Nine Ball, I too build my Roe and Paxton GTS in the bast. This time around I just dont have the time nor do I even want to bother. I got a bit burned out, you can say. I'm trusting my tunner with this decision as im not doing the work or the tune. If this proves to be an issue for me then I can say i have personal experience from this little venture and will adjust accordingly but for now I feel good about going AEM.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just waiting on the car to be picked up. I was told this will be a quick build so I'm hopping within 30 days.

Today is April 12th, figure if it ships out in a week they get the car by May 1st. Honestly, if you get your car back by July 4th, I'd be surprised.

If you want anything guaranteed, you need it in writing with financial penalties if they are late. If it's not in writing, don't expect any urgent response in finishing the car in a timely matter.

I'll bet you a steak dinner at any place in the bay area that they won't accept a financial late penalty fee agreement. We do this all the time on construction type jobs, government contracts, etc. I hope they do accept a "promise to deliver date agreement" or face financial penalties so you get your car back on the pre-determined schedule and do a great job for you. (this is one bet that I actually hope I lose)

You deserve to be a happy Viper owner after spending thousands of dollars on an upgrade. The last thing I want to see is you posting on here "my car is still at RSI two months after it was dropped off with constant delays". If you have any concerns, put it in writing so you and they know what is expected....that is only fair for both parties.

Best of luck with the build, it sounds like it will be a monster when complete.

Cheers,
George

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today is April 12th, figure if it ships out in a week they get the car by May 1st. Honestly, if you get your car back by July 4th, I'd be surprised.

If you want anything guaranteed, you need it in writing with financial penalties if they are late. If it's not in writing, don't expect any urgent response in finishing the car in a timely matter.

I'll bet you a steak dinner at any place in the bay area that they won't accept a financial late penalty fee agreement. We do this all the time on construction type jobs, government contracts, etc. I hope they do accept a "promise to deliver date agreement" or face financial penalties so you get your car back on the pre-determined schedule and do a great job for you. (this is one bet that I actually hope I lose)

You deserve to be a happy Viper owner after spending thousands of dollars on an upgrade. The last thing I want to see is you posting on here "my car is still at RSI two months after it was dropped off with constant delays". If you have any concerns, put it in writing so you and they know what is expected....that is only fair for both parties.

Cheers,
George
That is GREAT advice, George. I wish I would've done that.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cheers,
George

Good advise Gerorge. Im in the real-estate industry and I know all about "promise to deliver date agreement" and such contractual provisions when dealing with home building. Although this would be great to have in an auto-industry, I've never seen this or even heard of anyone talking about applying this to an automotive based company.

Have you worked with RSI in the past? Sounds like you have a bad experience or two with someone working on your ca?

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only bought some Lloyd's Ultimats with SSG emblems/logo/piping so far. I'm going to put the SSG emblems/center console/shifter surround/calipers/interior stitching on hold...just want my car back!

Hows your engine fiasco coming along? I hope its almost resolved!

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hows your engine fiasco coming along? I hope its almost resolved!
Had to get a lawyer involved...motor sat for almost 4 months untouched. Eta for motor completion is next Friday. Almost! Now back to the important stuff... When is round 6 of mods happening? Haha