My Viper Days Buddy is Dying - Need to Contact Carroll Shelby

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper Days Buddy is Dying - Need to Contact Carroll Shelby

My Best Buddy and Car Guy is dying of Cancer, his name is Dwayne. We just spent the last 11 months traveling around the country with my Vipers and His Renegade Motorhome and our Harleys in his car hauler. We went to Willow Springs, Button Willow, Thunderhill, Mid America, Gingerman, The U.S. Grand Prix, VOI 8, and Hallett. We had a great time and made some great friends. Along the way we hooked up with other Viper Days regulars and VCA Members and road our Harleys after some of the Viper Days events. We even won a few trophies along the way.

Dwayne has been battling Bladder Cancer for the past 5 years. He has under gone many surgeries but always managed to have a good attitude about it all. After returning from Viper Days Finals in Hallett, OK, Dwayne went in for a checkup. The next morning they operated on him and have discovered that his cancer has spread and his liver is now affected. The Doctors say he has about 60 -to- 90 days to live. He leaves for the Mayo Clinic for treatment.

Dwayne's dream car is the 65 Cobra. The whole time he battled with his Bladder Cancer and endured the many surgeries that followed we always talked about getting a Cobra. As soon as his health improved he went to Las Vegas to see and on November 1st 2002 gave a $50,000 deposit to Roy Hunt from Finish Line Motorsports, Inc. ( Dealer for Shelby Automobiles, Inc.). Dwayne signed a contract and was told that his car would be done in 9 months.

Four months later (February 2003) Dwayne got a call from Shelby's Dealer (Finish Line Motorsports, Inc.) and was told that the car was ready for paint and that, per the contract, he would need to send another $50,000 (total to this point $100,000).

In March Dwayne and I traveled to Las Vegas to attend a meeting for Harley Owners Group (HOG) officers and Dealers. We got into town early and went out to the Las Vegas Speedway Industrial Park were both Carroll Shelby Automobiles, Inc. and Finish Line Motorsports, Inc. assemble the cars. You see Shelby provides the chassis and parts (less the engine & tranny) and Shelby's dealers (Roy Hunt aka. Finish Line Motorsports, Inc.) actually put the car together. Upon arrival Roy Hunt waltzed us around and showed us some cars and took us over to Shelby were the car was SUPPOSE to be getting painted. Everything looked good and we got back in our car and started to leave. The I remembered that I had taken the Glove compartment door off M my 2002 GTS F.E. so that I could get Carroll Shelby to sign it. I left the door and a $100 donation to the Childhood Cancer Foundation ( Carroll's pet project). As we were leaving Bob Marsh (Shelby's Manager) invited us into his office we chatted about Viper and Cobras. Dwayne asked him about the Shelby Registry and told Bob that the number was CSX4311. Marsh replied, no that car does not belong to you. Dwayne then said Yes it does, it's being painted in you booth as we speak) on further inquiry we found out that Dwayne's car had NOT EVEN BEEN STARTED. Roy Hunt was summoned to Shelby's and upon arrival admitted that he had taken the $100,000 and had not yet started on the car!!! After some tense moments Dwayne told them that he very much wanted his dream car and it was agreed that they would star the car immediately, and that no further money would be needed until the car was done. And it was left at that.

In January 2004 (14 months later) after the first Viper Days race at Willow Springs Dwayne, myself and a couple Florida VCA members to a Harley ride to Vegas. We went to see how the car was coming. We stopped at Roy Hunts place and got the song and dance and then went to Shelby's and saw the painted aluminum ***-y. It was awesome. We then went to Kroyer and saw the 620 H.P. engine they were building still in pieces. We were told that the car would be done in a few months.

In February 2004 Roy Hunt told Dwayne that he was having financial problems and did not have the money to finish the car. In March 2004 (16 months later) Brent Fenimore from Shelby told Dwayne that they would personally see that the car got finished. Thereafter, Dwayne sent them another $20,000 (Total to this point $120,000).

In July (20 months now) Dwayne took his attorney from Texas to Las Vegas to meet with Roy Hunt and Shelby's people. More song and dance and the engine was not done. Hunt told Dwayne that he did not have the money to get the engine from Kroyer across the street that they would not finish the engine unless they were paid. Dwayne gave Hunt another $20,000 (Total to this point $140,000). It was agreed that Hunt would now finish the car within 90 days.

In October after Viper Days Finals in Hallett, OK Dwayne drove back through Las Vegas so he could check on the car and arrange for pick-up. Upon arrival he was shown a car far from complete with no engine or tranny. Dwayne went next door to Kroyer and was shown his engine, which needed to be dyno-ed. Kevin Kroyer told Dwayne the engine was paid for and showed him that his serial number had been stamped into the block.

December 2004 (25 months later and he still has no car) the people at Shelby will not return any phone calls Roy Hunt has no money to finish the car and Dwayne is dieing. He has but one final request that he gets to drive his finished car. I need to speak to Carroll Shelby to ask him to please finish the car as soon as possible. If anyone in VCA land has a number for Carroll, please call him and have him call Dwayne 541-297-6522. Sorry this is so long but we really need someones help.

JGarrett

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Danny

I'm so very sorry to hear about Dwayne. I really enjoyed getting to know you two this year at Viper Days. You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers.

All the best,
Jim

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may try contacting NascarDave. He was recently an authorized Shelby distributor (not sure if he still is) here in St. Louis. If Dave can help you I know he will.
Best of Luck,
Terry

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelby was affiliated with the Ford Motor Company years ago with the Cobra Program. I actually worked for Ford Marketing back in those days. You might try calling Ford Division Marketing in Detroit. If you find an old Ford guy he might know where to reach him. Those old Ford people tend to keep in touch. Its worth a try.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Danny,
Please send my best wishes and regards to Dwayne. I am sure he will treasure the memories you guys had this past year, as you will.

You might want to contact the SAAC - the Shelby Owners Club and see if they can help - historically, they have remained the closest to Carroll Shelby and he attends many of their national meets.

I wish I could do something to help you get in touch with him.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Dwayne.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Man! Help this guy out! That story really irks me! Not only is that a lot of cash but a lot of running around also. I really hope things work out for this guy. He seems to have a lot of patience.

Roger Morgan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Danny,
I have sent a copy of your post to some of the guys that belong to the Southern Ca Cobra club, at least one of which owns a car from finish line. I will let you know if I get any info. Most are Superformance owners but they still know everyone I think.
Our best to Dwayne

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man im SO sorry to hear about that.

This car need to get finished for this guy NOW.

my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Danny;

I left you a voice mail and sent email. Give me a call.

And please give Dwayne my best. He's a great guy.

-Ray

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Danny, Both Libby and I are shocked to hear about Dwayne. Please let him know he is in our thoughts and prayers. God bless him for he is a wonderful person, always up and with a big smile.

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,
As I understand the situation, the components have been shipped to Roy for completion. Shelby appears to have completed their part. Now, it's up to Roy Hunt at Finishline Motorsports to get it done.

I've been told that Roy will receive a request from Carroll to get this done ASAP.

We're pulling for you Dwayne! Let me know if I can do anything else.

DN

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This *****.

The high performance car industry is rife with both fraudsters and people who cannot manage money....

I really hope this is worked out, I know Caroll will not want his reputation damaged by Finish Line.

I also had a good friend that had Bladder Cancer.... he was 32. My prayers go to Dwaine.

Dreamert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn !!! THAT is a story but geez is it a sad one :S

Best to Dwayne and all his family... and to all of you who can and try to help... you're the best, this guy is one lucky fella to be able to count on people like you!

And to that [******] who played Dwayne all long, well... rather not say my wishes for him...

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What total, absolute BS!!

Shelby should refund all his money and personally see that the car is finished and delivered NOW! Then if he wants, he can sue HIS AUTHORIZED dealer for the money.

Roy Hunt should go to jail. It's quite obvious that Shelby doesn't have his finger on the pulse of his car building business...namely Finish Line Motorsports Inc... his AUTHORIZED builder. There can't be that many companies licensed to build his cars. It's inexcusable for this to happen to anyone and the buck should stop with Carroll Shelby.

Steve

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Danny,
Man, that's a sad story. I can't offer Dwayne any assistance in this matter other then my thoughts and prayers for him and his family. Hopefully Dwayne's dream car will be done soon and he can enjoy the heck out of it.

Its a shame that business practices like this exist. Sounds like Roy needs to step up and do the right thing. Robbing Peter to pay Paul is not the way to do business. Not real good advertising for Finish Line having posts like this. When this thread is done, you should forward it to Roy, along with any other related threads on the Cobra sites.

On a different note, sounds like Dwayne has been having a blast going to Viper Days with you. That in itself is worth more then anything else. Good luck!

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I am sick after reading this. Looks like you have already got some strong replies. PLEASE help this guy out....

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really is amazing what lowlifes some humans are, this guy is one of the lowest. How about some personal responsibility by Shelby? He should be all over this to make sure that this gets done and without another dollar coming out of the victim's pocket. Shelby has millions, would it hurt that much to get the job done even if some of the cash comes out of his pocket? This is such a sad story.

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I am sick after reading this. Looks like you have already got some good replies. Im sure someone will get in touch with him. PLEASE help this guy out....

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For clarification:

Shelby never received the deposit or order from Finishline until much later than 11-2002. How much later, I don't know.

Finishline is the bad guy here, not Shelby. Granted, Shelby should know/care/be more involved with his dealers...especially when they are next door! How Shelby selects/qualifies/communicates with their dealers would blow minds.

DN

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,
As I understand the situation, the components have been shipped to Roy for completion. Shelby appears to have completed their part. Now, it's up to Roy Hunt at Finishline Motorsports to get it done.

I've been told that Roy will receive a request from Carroll to get this done ASAP.

We're pulling for you Dwayne! Let me know if I can do anything else.

DN

If this is the case, why don't we have a shop day at finishline and do the assembly for them. :2tu:

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Danny, I sent your letter out to the Superformance Cobra owners group.
If there is someone who can help you and Dwayne, we will find them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets