My Viper Days Buddy is Dying - Need to Contact Carroll Shelby

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For clarification:

Shelby never received the deposit or order from Finishline until much later than 11-2002. How much later, I don't know.

Finishline is the bad guy here, not Shelby. Granted, Shelby should know/care/be more involved with his dealers...especially when they are next door! How Shelby selects/qualifies/communicates with their dealers would blow minds.

Dave,

It doesn't really matter when Shelby received the deposit. We're talking 25 months here. Finish Line is an authorized dealer for one of the most famous car guys ever. It's inexcusable on Shelby's part to have a thief working for him. Shelby is responsible. He needs to make good on this car NOW!

He should return all the money, pull out all the stops,and get the car to Dwayne immediately. After doing the right thing, Shelby can then square up with his crooked builder.

Should this gentleman pass before receiving his car, Shelby's name will be forever tainted in my mind and I won't hesitate to pass this saga along to those who may be interested in this tragic story.

Steve

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"If this is the case, why don't we have a shop day at finishline and do the assembly for them."

Aggreed..if we could, this would be the ultimate pull together.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds like a job for the "Overhaulin'" TV show. There must be someone on the Viper boards that has connections to the TV industry to get the story heard!!

Where's EXECMALIBU when he's really needed?? :smirk:

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the response from Shelby's people

Mr. Miller, Mr. Gregory:

It is awful to hear of your condition. Asking for help is no problem.
We have always tried to help Mr. Gregory in the past with his issues
with our dealer and we will continue to help within our power. Airing
this information on a public forum is not going to help resolve your
situation. Jim Wallace has already spoken with Roy this afternoon in an
attempt to resolve this matter.
Please feel free to contact either Jim Wallace or myself directly to
help resolve this issue.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you for a recovery.

Gary Patterson
Sales and Public Relations
Shelby Automobiles, Inc.
(702) 942-REAL ext. 104
(702) 277-8430 cell
(702) 93-COBRA fax
[email protected]

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it can't hurt seeing that he was obviously getting nowhere before. A correct response would have been "We are sorry it came to this, this is what we are going to do to immediately rectify the situation ............" Still trying to lay blame, how sad.

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got on the Shelby Owner's Forum and posted the letter and Shelby's people took it off. I reposted it they took it off and LOCKED Dwayne out.

They are afraid of the truth!!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well - apparently they haven't done a good job "helping" him in the past or else he'd have his freaking car by now! there is NO EXCUSE for this to have gone on this long - when you both visited Shelby during the Harley thing and it was discovered that the CSX number that Dwayne had been given was a complete LIE, the situation should have been rectified at that time and the car delivered by now.

God this makes me so mad I could SCREAM.

And yes, "airing this in a public forum" WILL HELP - as it already has - because that seems to be the only way to get these folks to move off their dead butts and do something about a situation that should have raised a red flag MONTHS ago.

And yes- IT IS Shelby America's issue, too, as the only way to get one of their vehicles is to use an "authorized dealer" They should use any means possible to get that car finished - inlcuding having another reputable dealer finish it and charge back Finish Line for any other expenses.

It's time people started taking responsibility and overall ownership. It's a Shelby Automobile. If my name were on it - I'd make darn sure that the buying experience was on the level.

Sorry for the rant. Danny, you are a good friend - don't give up - hound these guys unmercifully (if you need help let me know :) ) and make things right. There's simply no excuse for taking that amount of money from one person and having nothing to show for it.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just sent this in to Overhaulin- maybe they will listen. A few follow ups from some other members might help as well. Contact them at:

[email protected]

Dear Overhaulin crew,

I know that I am not following the normal procedures for the show, but through the Viper Club of America I have become aware of a situation that could work out very well for your show. One of our well respected members has been trying to get a Shelby Cobra built for almost 2 years now, and he has run into some major roadblocks along the way. Unfortunately, he has been fighting cancer all during this drama, and has recently been given only 2-3 months to live. It has been his dream to have this Shelby, and it might take a miracle to actually get it built in time. That's where I am hoping you can come in.

Here is an excerpt from our VCA web forum so you can see his circumstances.

My Best Buddy and Car Guy is dying of Cancer, his name is Dwayne. We just spent the last 11 months traveling around the country with my Vipers and His Renegade Motorhome and our Harleys in his car hauler. We went to Willow Springs, Button Willow, Thunderhill, Mid America, Gingerman, The U.S. Grand Prix, VOI 8, and Hallett. We had a great time and made some great friends. Along the way we hooked up with other Viper Days regulars and VCA Members and road our Harleys after some of the Viper Days events. We even won a few trophies along the way.

Dwayne has been battling Bladder Cancer for the past 5 years. He has under gone many surgeries but always managed to have a good attitude about it all. After returning from Viper Days Finals in Hallett, OK, Dwayne went in for a checkup. The next morning they operated on him and have discovered that his cancer has spread and his liver is now affected. The Doctors say he has about 60 -to- 90 days to live. He leaves for the Mayo Clinic for treatment.

Dwayne's dream car is the 65 Cobra. The whole time he battled with his Bladder Cancer and endured the many surgeries that followed we always talked about getting a Cobra. As soon as his health improved he went to Las Vegas to see and on November 1st 2002 gave a $50,000 deposit to Roy Hunt from Finish Line Motorsports, Inc. ( Dealer for Shelby Automobiles, Inc.). Dwayne signed a contract and was told that his car would be done in 9 months.

Four months later (February 2003) Dwayne got a call from Shelby's Dealer (Finish Line Motorsports, Inc.) and was told that the car was ready for paint and that, per the contract, he would need to send another $50,000 (total to this point $100,000).

In March Dwayne and I traveled to Las Vegas to attend a meeting for Harley Owners Group (HOG) officers and Dealers. We got into town early and went out to the Las Vegas Speedway Industrial Park were both Carroll Shelby Automobiles, Inc. and Finish Line Motorsports, Inc. assemble the cars. You see Shelby provides the chassis and parts (less the engine & tranny) and Shelby's dealers (Roy Hunt aka. Finish Line Motorsports, Inc.) actually put the car together. Upon arrival Roy Hunt waltzed us around and showed us some cars and took us over to Shelby were the car was SUPPOSE to be getting painted. Everything looked good and we got back in our car and started to leave. The I remembered that I had taken the Glove compartment door off M my 2002 GTS F.E. so that I could get Carroll Shelby to sign it. I left the door and a $100 donation to the Childhood Cancer Foundation ( Carroll's pet project). As we were leaving Bob Marsh (Shelby's Manager) invited us into his office we chatted about Viper and Cobras. Dwayne asked him about the Shelby Registry and told Bob that the number was CSX4311. Marsh replied, no that car does not belong to you. Dwayne then said Yes it does, it's being painted in you booth as we speak) on further inquiry we found out that Dwayne's car had NOT EVEN BEEN STARTED. Roy Hunt was summoned to Shelby's and upon arrival admitted that he had taken the $100,000 and had not yet started on the car!!! After some tense moments Dwayne told them that he very much wanted his dream car and it was agreed that they would star the car immediately, and that no further money would be needed until the car was done. And it was left at that.

In January 2004 (14 months later) after the first Viper Days race at Willow Springs Dwayne, myself and a couple Florida VCA members to a Harley ride to Vegas. We went to see how the car was coming. We stopped at Roy Hunts place and got the song and dance and then went to Shelby's and saw the painted aluminum ***-y. It was awesome. We then went to Kroyer and saw the 620 H.P. engine they were building still in pieces. We were told that the car would be done in a few months.

In February 2004 Roy Hunt told Dwayne that he was having financial problems and did not have the money to finish the car. In March 2004 (16 months later) Brent Fenimore from Shelby told Dwayne that they would personally see that the car got finished. Thereafter, Dwayne sent them another $20,000 (Total to this point $120,000).

In July (20 months now) Dwayne took his attorney from Texas to Las Vegas to meet with Roy Hunt and Shelby's people. More song and dance and the engine was not done. Hunt told Dwayne that he did not have the money to get the engine from Kroyer across the street that they would not finish the engine unless they were paid. Dwayne gave Hunt another $20,000 (Total to this point $140,000). It was agreed that Hunt would now finish the car within 90 days.

In October after Viper Days Finals in Hallett, OK Dwayne drove back through Las Vegas so he could check on the car and arrange for pick-up. Upon arrival he was shown a car far from complete with no engine or tranny. Dwayne went next door to Kroyer and was shown his engine, which needed to be dyno-ed. Kevin Kroyer told Dwayne the engine was paid for and showed him that his serial number had been stamped into the block.

December 2004 (25 months later and he still has no car) the people at Shelby will not return any phone calls Roy Hunt has no money to finish the car and Dwayne is dieing. He has but one final request that he gets to drive his finished car. I need to speak to Carroll Shelby to ask him to please finish the car as soon as possible. If anyone in VCA land has a number for Carroll, please call him and have him call Dwayne 541-297-6522. Sorry this is so long but we really need someones help.

This episode has both drama and a huge personality in the automotive field(Carroll Shelby) involved, so it would make for a great show.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope they respond, but doesn't a car have to be "hauled" in order to be "overhauled"?????

... blood pressure rising again after re-reading the money and timeline....

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess Roy saw that Henn*essey can get away with similar actions so he thought he could do the same. Unreal what low life kind of people are in this business.

I agree, this is definately a Shelby issue and they should step up and take full responsibility since Roy is not. They are ultimately responsible for their name sake. I also can't believe they are charging so much for this car. It can be built for under $70K easily. What a markup.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is Rediculous...the man has DAYS left to live not months and people are playing politics...what has our world come to. We are not even asking for charity...we are asking for what he deserved. This is tragic and heart wrenching...i am not a violent man...but at this point...just point me in the direction of the one responsible for the hold up :(

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we get all the parts for this car? And some money back for a builder? If so I will find a builder to assemble it working 24/7.

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got back from Dwayne's house helping him put some things in order. I printed all the e-mails and I have received and a copy of the forum. He was overwhelmed buy the support and love that you all have show to him. He leaves Monday for the Mayo Clinic.

We are making some headway on the issue of his car. Thanks for all your help!!

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got on the Shelby Owner's Forum and posted the letter and Shelby's people took it off. I reposted it they took it off and LOCKED Dwayne out.

They are afraid of the truth!!

I have been reading this over the past 2 days & first of all, my prayers go out to Dwayne & his family.

Like most I can not believe the problems he has had with Cobra. I hope the power of some of the people on this site help resolve these Cobra issues for Dwayne & let him have his dream machine.

My Best to Dwayne & his family

Andy

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We got a call from another Shelby Dealer who volunteered to finish the car if we can get all the parts and away from Roy Hunt at Finishline Motorsports (Shelby's Dealer in Vegas)I have made the appropriate inquires to see if this is possible.

Maybe we could take the car to the other dealer and shoot the "Over-Haulin" episode there??

Again thanks for all the support you have all shown!!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whatever comes of this - sounds like pressure needs to go on Shelby to BURY Roys business - the guy is just another SMUCK in an industry that already has too many.... we need one less - and its Roy.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We got a call from another Shelby Dealer who volunteered to finish the car if we can get all the parts and away from Roy Hunt at Finishline Motorsports (Shelby's Dealer in Vegas)I have made the appropriate inquires to see if this is possible.

Maybe we could take the car to the other dealer and shoot the "Over-Haulin" episode there??

Again thanks for all the support you have all shown!!

Man that would be great for him, I'd love to get a copy of the episode on DVD if those people are going to chime in.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, DV here.
Danny, (who I have never had the pleasure of meeting) also posted this on the largest Cobra forum on the internet, www.clubcobra.com

After the normal, 'is this real', it became quite apparent that it is.

Between all the Cobra people, and the Viper people this has become a very major issue. For those that do not know Gary Patterson, trust that he is NOW punching all the buttons he can. (I don't think he was totally aware of this until it hit the cobra boards) I only hope with everybodys intervention this car gets delivered and soon.

When you put the great people of two great car organizations together, I have no doubt moving mountains would be an easy task. Getting this Cobra finished in time may take just a little more effort.

God Bless you all.
DV

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ed, glad to see you over here!
I have witnessed an enormous outpouring of concern and offers to help Dwayne both from the Viper guys and Cobra guys. Let us hope with all of our help he can put this matter behind him very quickly.
Take good care of Jays Viper! :cool:

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a phone call from David Kirkham from Kirkham Motorsports in Provo, UT. David and his brother Thomas have volunteered to send his tuck and trailer to Las Vegas, pick up Dwaynes car, engine and pieces to pay for any parts that are not on the car and have it done by christmas. WOW!! I told him we would be willing to pay for any parts that he needed to buy. He said "We will not take one dime, we want to do this" "Dwayne needs his car".

For us Viper Guys - David Kirkham is the guy who provides the aluminum bodies to Shelby so they can be built.

glenn hofstetter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Huraaaaaaaaay for Kirkham. There still are good people in this world. I will make a point of buying something from them as soon as I can! Why aren't there more people out there like this?

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that's cooool! Way to go Kirkham Motorsports! :2tu: Hopefully Dwayne will be driving it on Christmas day. :cool:

I just got a phone call from David Kirkham from Kirkham Motorsports in Provo, UT. David and his brother Thomas have volunteered to send his tuck and trailer to Las Vegas, pick up Dwaynes car, engine and pieces to pay for any parts that are not on the car and have it done by christmas. WOW!! I told him we would be willing to pay for any parts that he needed to buy. He said "We will not take one dime, we want to do this" "Dwayne needs his car".

For us Viper Guys - David Kirkham is the guy who provides the aluminum bodies to Shelby so they can be built.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little insight to Dave and 'Family' Kirkhams. For our DVSF IV Cobra event where we raise hell and raise money for Cystic Fibrosis, the Kirkhams "DONATED" including shipping, one awesome 289 FIA all aluminum Cobra. I built or finished it, the Cobra people provided the correct 289 engine and toploader and we raffeled it off.

This coming from the Kirkhams is just no surprise to me. Thank you Dave and family.
Ed 'DV' Combs

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Double Venom,
Thanks for the insight on the Kirkhams.

The news about Kirkhams really lifted Dwayne's spirit.

Thanks to everyone, I will keep you posted.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is wonderful news - the Kirkhams seem to have a rich tradition in helping others. For all they do, I hope that anyone considering ANTHING Cobra look no further than the Kirkhams.

With all the bad and all the crooked dealings that Dwayne has had to go through, he is truly blassed to have a friend like you, Danny Miller.

Cheers and prayers for all this holiday season.

Dang - you all have gone and made me cry.

Hugs and Kisses all the way around.

LynnRI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lit a candle at mass tonight for Dwayne & his family.

Way To Go Kirkham!!! A Classy move.

I'd like to patronize Kirkham Motorsports. Do they have a website or on-line store?? Maybe I can find some X-mass gifts for my nephews at their store...please post if anyone knows it.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is great for Kirkham to step up like that. I have always heard great things about their cars too. Wow, makes someone who is interested in a Cobra reproduction have a bit easier decision when it comes time to choose a manufacturer.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to patronize Kirkham Motorsports. Do they have a website or on-line store?? Maybe I can find some X-mass gifts for my nephews at their store...please post if anyone knows it.

Here is their website:

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/home.cfm

Obviously a GREAT credit to the Cobra community, muscle cars, and the world in general. I have read this thread several times over and it just tears you apart knowing how little you can do from your end. The Kirkhams have been able to step in and do what so many of us wish we could do on our parts. I know I will be sending any business I can their way for sure!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets