My Viper Days Buddy is Dying - Need to Contact Carroll Shelby

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dwayne leaves in the morning to the Mayo Clinic. He wanted me to thank you all for all the love, prayers, good thoughts and prayers you have for him and his situation. We are working with Kirkham to get the car finished. I will keep you all informed as it develops. Thanks!!

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We got Dwayne in the airplane headed to the Mayo Clinic this morning. David Kirkham from Kirkham Motorsports left Provo, Utah very early today, to go to Las Vegas to retrieve Dwayne's car. Kirkham's plan to finish the car and deliver it to Dwayne at the Mayo Clinic in time for Christmas.

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dwayne's Attorney has sent Demand Letter to Shelby & Finishline to have them release the Chassis, Engine and parts to Kirkham Motorsports so they can finish the car. Kirkham believes he can finish the car in four days. Shelby and his dealer have had it for 26 months.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hogdealer,
I'm sure David has said something, but if not, the MSO is just as important as the car and the parts. DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!
DV...I hope the Kirkhams can pull this one of!

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BAD NEWS........

Finish Line would not release the car, engine or the parts to Kirkham Motorsports.

The Kirkham's had to drive back empty handed. Dwayne sent his thanks from the Mayo Clinic to David, Thomas and their wonderful mother, for trying to get his car to him before it is to late.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My sentiments have already been expressed by many here regarding prayers for a possible recovery or remission for Dwayne as well as outrage over Finish Line's treatment of a fellow human being.

Question: Does Finish Line even have "the car, engine or the parts"?
I tend to doubt it otherwise the car would have been built or released to be built.

This appears to be a simple case of robbery and nothing more.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes me sick to my stomach. How could "fellow" car enthousiasts and Shelby especially sit around and let this happen. It's very discouraging. Kind of takes away from the whole, it's a wonderful life, feeling doesn't it. Please let us know if there is ANYTHING that we can do.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is just making me want to run outside to build a Cobra for Dwayne.

Tell Finshline finsh the car or your sueing and your taking the car with you weather they like it or not!

IT DEFFINTELY SHOULDN'T TAKE TWO YEARS FOR "SUCH A GREAT" COMPANY WITH THE NAME SHELBY ATTACHED TO IT TO BUILD THE CAR! Shelby motors rule, Finshline *****.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You ask how could they do this? Finish Line as with Shelby only care about the money and not the person, that is how and why. Maybe Carroll is too busy at the Barrett Jackson auction signing another of his overvalued Cobras.

Custom Builder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's quit dicking around here guys.

There are a lot of rich ******** here on the board. Let's buy this guy a damn car. Find one and lets get the cash together. I'm in for $3,000. Just tell me where to send the check hogdealer.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for general information, there is only one place to buy the Cobra that Danny wants and that was / is through 'SAI', aka Shelby. Maybe another dealer has one in stock, but highly unlikely. In all actuality Kirkham IS, or at least was Shelby's supplier of Aluminum body's. A lot of debate with Kirkhams winning 99.9 % of the time that the 'KMP' is a much better car, hi-tech aluminum frames, unbelievable suspension, etc. The problem is, it does not carry a 'CSX' number, alas Shelby's name. If there was anyway possible I'd at least volunteer to paint it, or even build him one of the "Double Venom" cars, or any other type Cobra that would suit him. The truth is, either way would takes weeks if not months.

This is a very, very sad state of affairs. I wish I had the answer.
DV

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newspaper Reporters might like to rip into this one, especially since it involves the Shelby name.

Wow, just think of the publicity Finish Line and Shelby will get for all they have done for this buyer. Who has got a Newspaper friend here?

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is Finishline giving a timeline for completion or is Roy demanding more money...again?

I think buying Dwayne a completed car is commendable, however, as I understand it, he has a special paint color and scheme that he wanted. This makes his car truely his car.

Please keep us advised on what- if anything, we can do.

DN

glenn hofstetter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I suggest that someone file a criminal charge with the local police for grand larceny and fraud. Insist on an arrest. If you can connect Shelby with it arrest him too. This requires drastic action. If Shelby is arrested there will be big NEWS coverage and the car will instantly appear.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These folks are going to rot in ****. Crooks, liars and thieves. One's reputation is the single thing that sets them apart from others - and now, and rightfully so, both Finish Line and Shelby have done irreparable damage to theirs.

They deserve the world of hurt that is coming their way. I hope the news, magazines, TV and everyone else that is in the Cobra business gets wind of this and makes sure this story gets told, and retold, and told again. I know I'll do what I can to make sure it stays on the forefront.

Ba$tards.

Roger Morgan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni,
I think the Cobra world knows this story and is mad as hell about it also. There are at least 18 pages on there board discussing this, see http://www.clubcobra.com/ As a prior Cobra owner I think many of these storys have been around for some time. The usual question that a Cobra owner is asked is "is this a real Cobra" and my answer was yes it is, made by Superformance which now may mean more than a Shelby. The Viper and Cobra club have many people involved in both clubs so this story will stick. I think Shel may have to answer some questions at the next meet.

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NascarDave

Brent Fenimore told me (after the car was not released to Kirkham Motorsport to be finished) that he would work with Roy to get things moving and finished. I told them I needed a letter stating what would be done and when. I also offered to send them more $$$$$ when the car was done. I told them Dec. 31st. would be the Dead Line. That date would mark the 27th month since they received the first $50,000 deposit check and told Dwayne that it would take 9 months to build.

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is an idea. Lets get a group together at the upcoming Barrett-Jackson and make our displeasure known at the Shelby Booth display that is usually outside on the east end of the tent. If you can't find it I'll be happy to print out maps with a big X.

Both of these companies are brutal. Shelby needs to make this right if one of his lowlife scumbag AUTHORIZED dealers/stealers will not.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once more may I interject..IF you do that, B-J, Shelby booth, please invite the Cobra people. They have already been whispering the same thing. Not sure but I think it's turning into a shout
DV
www.clubcobra.com

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to personally thank the Kirkhams. I've talked to them in the past and they ARE good people. They sprung into action quickly and without thinking about a payback.

Pressure is the only thing that will work. Legal, political, public.

Let me know if I can help.

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Double Venom - I'm extending this meeting of the minds at Barrett to all of those in the Cobra Club. That would bunch their shorts up if you had 50 people in front of them waiting for an explaination on their poor handling of this.

GaryA is right, and this would be some serious public pressure at a pretty key venue for their sales.

Roger Morgan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Count me in at Barrett Jackson, I will be there and I think several of the Cobra Club people from So Cal will be there also.
Day-Time etc ( nice if we know if shel will be there and when)
What if there was a letter signed by LOTS of people showing we are paying attention to give to ?

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SOME GOOD NEWS!!!! & SOME VERY BAD NEWS

The Good News is that ROY HUNT of FINISH LINE MOTORSPORTS, INC. has went over the whole car and determined that he with the help of Dan (Finish Line Master Builder) are committed to finishing the Dwayne’s Cobra as ordered, fully tested and outfitted on or before January 15, 2005. I am very pleased to see Roy “Step Up to the Plate” and see this through!!

There are many items yet to be completed and they will be working very hard to see that they get completed. Roy is noted as building the finest Cobra around and is committed to providing that same level of expertise in finishing Dwayne’s Cobra!!

I think that special thanks should also go to BRENT FENIMORE of SHELBY AUTOMOBILES, INC. for getting involved and working from his end to produce a commitment to get this car done for my very good friend.

I spoke to Dwayne moments ago and this news about his car made him very happy in a day that was not filled with the best of news. Today at the Mayo Clinic, Dwayne was told that the cancer in his liver is inoperable; they will try to treat it with massive doses of radiation and chemotherapy, in order to buy him some time. I think the thought of being able to drive his car (faster than my Viper) will sure him up in the days ahead of him and help to provide him with something to look forward to. As things get closer or news comes available I will let you all know. I have been very impressed with the outpouring from the Viper & Cobra Nations. Those Cobra guys might only be running on 8 cylinders, but you have V10 size hearts!!

Thanks, again Danny (a.k.a.- HOGDEALER)

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Danny,
Talk about mixed emotions!

I'm very pleased that Dwayne will finally get his much coveted car (even if it did take public embarrassment of the involved individuals to make it happen).

I'm very saddened to hear about the gravity of Duane's illness. Speaking as a doctor with a wife who underwent radiation and chemotherapy, Duane has a rough road ahead.
I hope that they don't have to start the chemo until AFTER he gets the car.

He will probably be OK with the radiation but the chemo may make it difficult for him to drive his car. It's difficult to weigh quality of life against quantity of life but that's a decision to be made by Duane and his Physicians.

He'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

BluBite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just read this and it's sad that things like this happen.

I was at a Xmas party last weekend and met a man who has one for sale. It only has 395 miles on it. Lets buy the car and get it to him before it's too late.
I can find out the price if we want to do this.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a new Viper owner, and looking to get a Cobra in the next year or two after my wallet recovers a bit. I'm glad that the family I just adopted and the family I plan to adopt are filled with such great guys (and gals). As much as we will mourn Dwayne's passing (hopefully not for a long while), we should look to celebrating his life.

I'd like to see an annual event with both Vipers AND Cobras. Nothing beats a bunch of Vipers like a bunch of Vipers with a bunch of Cobras. For being the inspiration that brought us together, we should name it after Dwayne.

What would an event like that be like? What would it be called? Any Ideas?

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***PLEASE SEND DWAYNE A CARD***

Here is Dwaynes address. The Economy Inn is hooked to the Mayop Clinic.

Dwayne Gregory
c/o Economy Inn By Kahler
9 Northwest Third Avenue Room#640
Rochester MN 55902

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let them do the story. I'm sure that ol'Shelby & Finish Line won't object. Hell i'm sure that they'd love the negative Press.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth