My Viper Days Buddy is Dying - Need to Contact Carroll Shelby

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Dwayne, Great color choices!

Very sad to see this happen. ****** me off that people can be such losers at a time like this. My prayers are with your friend. God bless man. You did an incredible thing for your friend

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In all of this sadness one thing keeps going through my mind:

"But for the Grace of God there go I"

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Too bad the timing wasn't a little different. I stood in line about an hour to get a photo and get Carroll Shelby to sign a hat when he was in Dallas about a month ago at Unique Performance's 2nd Annual Car Show. They are affiliated with Carroll Shelby, and they build new Cobra Mustang GTs, both 350 and 500s for $100k and $150k each. I spoke briefly with Mr. Shelby about his kidney transplant and would've been more than happy to inquire about Dwayne's car. Unfortunately, they have waited so long to deliver the car, that Dwayne will probably not feel good enough to enjoy it, much less drive it or even ride in it. God bless him.

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: RE: My Viper Days Buddy is Dying - Need to Contact Carroll Shelby

Not to mention for christmas old Carrol sent me a letter saying their stock is now going to be be desertified. I am glad I never had him sign my dash. He could have gotten Dwayne a car in days if he really wanted too, and this is a guy who had a kidney transplant and knows first hand that you can go at any moment

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bump!

Any Updates?

How many letters is Dwayne receiving a day? I bet the Mailman is shouting for workers comp!

:laugh:

Jay K.

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I heard that Shelby Automobiles just filed chapter 15 bankruptcy. Can anyone confirm this?

DN

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I heard that Shelby Automobiles just filed chapter 15 bankruptcy. Can anyone confirm this?

DN

Really :eek: ???

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I tried to watch the speed channel 'Beyond the Years' featuring Carroll Shelby with his cars as the subject and it left a bad taste in my mouth as all I could think of was this guy in the hospital.

I changed the channel.

Jay K.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am totally floored reading this thread. I am angered and saddened beyond belief.

Amazing that ONE car can't be built considering the situation.

If I owned that dealer I would have make this PRIORITY ONE a LONG LONG LONG time ago.

The man would have had his car months ago even if it meant working 24/7 with NO excuses.

God bless you Dwayne and all involved who are helping.

Venom500

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I was wondering if there were any updates on Dwayne or his cobra.
God Bless

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I've been out of the loop for a while on the board and just read this post. How very very sad that this has happened to your friend. I truly hope that the car gets completed by the 15th. It is heartwarming to see the responses from the boards. What ****** me off is the lack of respect shown by the builders. Ultimately, getting money out of you seems to be the all time drive, with no regard shown to conscience.. even in the respect of the authorizing agency, not moving off their butts till the negative publicity raised to the point where it could potentially hurt sales. :(
Best wishes, and Dwayne is in my prayers.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The following has just been posted on the Cobra forum. csx 2300- "We" believe his real name to be Lary Bowman. Hopefully Hogdealer can confirm that 'the ol' man' did in fact call Dwayne.:

ok, im getting a bit tired of the shelby bashing going on, so here's some hard facts. i've spoken with carroll twice in the past 3 weeks on this issue. he had given a mandate to his guys to get the car and finish it themselves, but was told Dwayne didnt want that since the car was so far along it would slow things down. carroll has said " i dont give a s..t what it costs or takes, get this guys car done". the problem is that finish line may go belly up, but either way shelby will catch the ball. carroll will be calling dwayne directly shortly. i did speak with dwayne today also. if he feels like traveling at some point, then i will put him in a daytona coupe, GT350R, full comp 427, 427 SC, 289 team car, FIA 289 and a GT40 to cruise around northern california in. if God is willing.......... the right people are doing the right things now

End of post.

So, there you have all the news that I have.
DV

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

***UPDATE***

First let me say THANKS to all that have helped and who continue to help.

Carroll, himself, did call Dwayne today and told him that he told his people at Shelby Automobiles, in Vegas, to get the car done. Carroll told Dwayne that he has been aware of the problem for a while now and volunteered to do anything in his power to help Dwayne out.

Larry (aka csx2300 from Club Cobra) was able to talk to Dwayne today and was very helpful in getting Carroll Shelby on the line to Dwayne. A big thanks to Larry.

As for Dwaynes condition, the Mayo Doctors have stopped his chemo. The chemo treatment they had been giving him was damaging his liver. Now they have to get the old chemo out of his system. Once the old is out they will start a new treatment. He told me he has never been this sick. The Chemo is terrible.

As for the car. We should have an update (via Curt from Club Cobra) tomorrow.

Thanks Again To All of You!!

Danny

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So how did Caroll get the word about Dwayne's situation? I so deeply hope for Dwayne that he will be able to drive his car before his condition gets any worse :(

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Those guys at http://www.ClubCobra.com Are Terrific Guys!

Didn't someone state they have V-8s under the hood but Hearts like a V-10!!

Truly a Great community over there.

Jay K.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wow,

I just received a call from "The Man" himself!

That's right, Mr Shelby called ME to convey the REAL story to all interested parties.

He is an absolutely sincere gentleman, and I was amazed (and even thought it was one of my Viper buddies playing a phone trick on me!) that he would take the time to communicate the story to me, and of course, now, to our VCA.

Here's all the facts as they were presented to me:

Mr Shelby has been right on top of this dillemma. Mr Shelby has spoken to Duane directly, and to Roy many times regarding this matter. He has truly gone beyond the call of duty and, without getting into details, has offered options that would have cost him a fortune, just to make things right.

The bottom line is that Mr Shelby has spoken to Duane, and Duane has requested that the car STAY with Roy, and that he wants Roy to complete the delivery.

If, in fact, any of this information is incorrect, please feel free to e-mail me, as I will gladly fax any correspondences to Mr Shelby, as he is, at this point, unaware of Duane being anything other than agreeable to the current circumstances.

Thank You Mr Shelby!

Now that's a man with a big heart!

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope this brings his spirits up. What a sad story to read.It took so many people to get the ball rolling.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It only took "ONE" great person to get the ball rolling...Hogdealer. Then a few great people to get the job done.
I, the greatest pessimist now believe Danny's car will be done by the 15th. I wish I could be there when he takes delivery.

DV
ps..some of those cobras do have V-10 viper hearts! ;)

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be too much of a cynic Joe, but in Hogdealer's initial post he stated Shelby's people wouldn't answer phone calls. It wasn't till this got posted publicly that they finally responded, evidenced by their veiled statement that posting this in public would not help.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the Cobra Forum.....

Dewayne's Car is DONE!
Just wanted to let everone know that Dewayne's car is DONE. I just got a call from Greg, one of the Texas bunch, who was in Las Vegas and went down to check progress. He told me they started it for him and it looked and sounded awesome. Plans were to shake down the car tomorrow and head for Dewayne's on Saturday. I pray there is still time left for Dewayne to experience his dream.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Joe, just exactly when did Shelby call Duane?

I didn't ask Carroll this question, but if important to you, I would gladly e-mail my contact and try to get the answer.... but, noticing the most recent awesome posts....

It looks like all is great!

OP
OP
H

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
****UPDATE****

DWAYNE GOT HIS CAR!!!!

This Morning Carroll Shelby's show truck delivered Dwayne's Cobra to him. The Car is Amazing!! 600HP Custom built race engine, all aluminum body, just great!!

Dwayne was like a little kid. He had a smile on his face as big as Texas. He drove the car off the truck backed up 30 ft and smoked the tires!! Then he did it again!!

He had more energy and was happier than I have seen him in a long time. I am very thankfull for all the people that sent him cards, toy cars, shirts, hats, posters etc.. while he was at the Mayo Clinic. In the end it was well worth the all the time and trouble to see his smile as he stood next to his car and the matching Custom Harley we built. It was truley a dream come true for Dwayne.

Today the sun was shinning the temperature was 67 and no rain in sight. Just a perfect day along the Oregon Coast!! This is the day that I will remember in the years to come of my very dear friend.

Thanks again to all of you who helped in this cause.

Danny (HOGDEALER)