Narrowed down to two cars...would appreciate input from the community!!

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all,

First, thank you for all of the advice, support and help in my previous threads. I think I have narrowed down to two viable options.

option 1: 97 viper GTS solid red with 11k miles, belanger headers, exhaust, drilled rotors, smooth tubes, k and n, upgraded half shafts Nitrous (not sure how i feel about that) and a good paper trail.

Option 2: 99 viper GTS red and silver stripe combo. One owner, bone stock 17k miles, mint condition.

I do like the mods that the first car has (good sound is key and full exhaust is not cheap). However, the other car seems to be pristine. It is local to me so there would be no shipping or payment issues. Option two would probably resale better than the modded one correct?

So those are my options, am looking to buy and would like some feedback. Thanks!

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy the car that you can see,touch and hear. The modded car is not a negative they are just bolt-on stuff. If you do the same to the other car won't it be modded too.

Having used NOS for over 25 years on all types of cars. I have had zero engine failures. A 150-250hp system that is properly tuned is no problem on a 98 and older Viper.

Lastly if you are planning on resale buy a Blue & White.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i prefer the car with stripes plus two yrs newer... which are you more into, performance or looks?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think nitrous is as ******* the forged internals than the cream puffs (like mine). Whichever one you prefer, have a thorough inspection performed by a Viper Tech.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My input: I bought modded and love it. My buddy bought stock and is now going through the pain staking process of modding his. We plan to lay it up for a significant time this winter and do lots to it. From experience it is best to do as many mods at the same time. Less labor over and over and less chance in something going wrong.

:usa:

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the difference in price the cost of the mods ?
If you get the stock 99 wouldn't you mod it yourself anyway ?
Resale ? You plan on selling already ?
If you ever did resell it, it's guna be what it's guna be.
If you happend to lose $ think of it as the price of owning the Hotest car on the planet.
I think getting the 97 with the mods saves seat time and that's what it's all about. (IMO of course).
Good luck.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hmmm I didn't know that the interior is different? How so? I also thought the engines of 96-99 were identical? Or were the cams different? You all rock. thanks.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing really major on the interior, added some accents etc.
Also added power mirrors in '99. And something I really wish I had, an inside trunk release.
18" tires, and changed the rim design.
Same motor w/ 708 cam. Still forged internals.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 is the best Gen II model IMO, I'd go with it for same/similar money and the differences you listed.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A freind of mine looks for ones that has mods done with stock part included, when he sells he puts it back to stock and sells the rest on ebay,his goal-a free car to own- and it works for him, I end up keeping my cars so its nice to buy the nicest on you can afford, you will love either!!

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any1 want to explain to me why they made the viper with forged internals then went backwards and decided to not have forged internals as the car progressed in years?