Need a new motor ?

DAWING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Possibly to to numerous mechanical over-revs due to a crappy tranni ,Some large pieces of metal were attached to my drain plug.It is the opinion of the shop that I skip the rebuild and go for a new "crate motor".If this is the best way to go, whom do I go to for the best deal besides Ebay ?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm guessing Chuck Tator would be your best bet? I just talked to him today for the first time. Very friendly and absolutely full of knowledge when it comes to Vipers. Plus, he can get you Dodge Viper parts for lower price. Good luck!

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
question 1
crate motor...this is a GEN I motor, not sure if that is what you need (GEN I or GEN II)

Q2. metal parts stuck to drain plug. which parts? motor making noise?

these motors are pretty tough. sounds like you need to get facts from a certified tech before you spend the cash.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arrow can do a rebuild for a lot less than a crate motor and it will be stronger than a crate motor. Are you out of warranty? First i would have someone find out how bad your problems are! I'd call Todd at Arrow Racing Engines they do all factory and warranty rebuilds for DCX 248-852-5151. they are here in SE Mich and could probably do a great job for you. If your out of warranty and need a rebuild it's a perfect time to upgrade a few things also.

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't jump to conclusions, if the motor is not making a "clanging" noise and you don't have blue smoke out the back, the motor is probably fine.

Have a leakdown test done if your really worried. A little bit of metal on the drain plug is not a big deal, that is why they are magnetic.

good luck,
Dave.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A motor is like a roof on a house. Nobody knows when it'll let go. Why change a roof before it starts leaking? Why change the motor before it's blown?

If your middle name is "Moneybags" - ignore the above.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my engine re-done by a guy here locally. He specializes in Viper engines. If you are intersted PM me and I'll give you the contact info.

He's very reasonable. I'm sure it would be less expensive than buying a crate motor and end up a lot better.

Bernard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact Kevin Singleton 951-545-8223. He built McCanns engine for the World Challenge series and does all my work too. He can add some extra HP too. I certainly would not splurge for a new one until he's seen it. :2tu:

OP
OP
D

DAWING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really missed having my GTS at Road America this weekend. My good friend brought his Porche Turbo with the X-50 package (near 500HP)ready to have fun with me wearing his new license plate Vipe this or something like it.I ended bring my 7000 rpm BMW which is very fast but would never see 160mph like my Viper did last year.After talking to various Viper experts recomended in these forums,I will be looking for valve related damage first.As for waiting for the engine to blow I once handgranaded an engine at Grattan in the middle of a race that I was winning leaving me dead in the middle of the track with all of my oil leading up to my car.My fellow competitors still make fun of how I sprinted across the infield and jumped behind the wall.I will not repeat that if I can help it.Hope to have it back to the track in the next week or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang