Need Gen 3 Forged Pistons/Rods ASAP! Where do I get them???

INFURNA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought Diamond forged pistons and forged rods from arrow racing and did the proper required break in for 3000 miles instructed by my viper tech and noticed I had to fill the oil a whole lot. I took the motor apart today and realized that all of the pistons had blow by. I bought a standard sized piston but according to my mechanic I bought a racing piston and now I have to find another forged piston that is standard for daily driving. Does anyone know of any companies who have gen 3 forged pistons and rods in stock or who carries them? Thanks

OP
OP
I

INFURNA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
summary of what i just said, I need to find a standard forged piston/rods

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the mechanic use a dial bore gauge to check the bores BEFORE you ordered the pistons from Arrow? I've had many sets of racing pistons in motors I've built, non of them burned oil. I used J&E exclusively. I smell some B.S. here, seriously some one didn't do their job right. It might be time to move on before you get hosed again.

OP
OP
I

INFURNA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would I be bsing? I am not mechanically savy in any way to say the least. My viper tech is very meticulous and was trained under a bigger viper tech in Miami. I dont know what he did because i didnt watch him. I called arrow racing again and I may just only have to change the piston and not the rods. The car ran fine it just used up oil quick, or blow by from what I was told. I just want to get it running fine so i can use maybe some nitrous and when the 08 comes out just sell it.

Luis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the rings never seated. I have had problems seating rings in the past on street/strip cars with moly rings. I had to block part of the radiator to get it to run hot before it would seat. I don't see a difference in a racing or a street piston? but I am no expert. Good luck I know you can get custom pistons built from Probe,JE and others.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the mechanic use a dial bore gauge to check the bores BEFORE you ordered the pistons from Arrow? I've had many sets of racing pistons in motors I've built, non of them burned oil. I used J&E exclusively. I smell some B.S. here, seriously some one didn't do their job right. It might be time to move on before you get hosed again.

Hence my post. Something doesn't sound right. Another viper guy getting taken advantage of...

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't implying that you were the one bs'ing. A viper tech is not necessarily a seasoned engine builder. Good Luck

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought Diamond forged pistons and forged rods from arrow racing and did the proper required break in for 3000 miles instructed by my viper tech and noticed I had to fill the oil a whole lot. I took the motor apart today and realized that all of the pistons had blow by. I bought a standard sized piston but according to my mechanic I bought a racing piston and now I have to find another forged piston that is standard for daily driving. Does anyone know of any companies who have gen 3 forged pistons and rods in stock or who carries them? Thanks

There is sooo many conflicting things in your post. Sounds like you need a new mechanic ;)

First, why 3000 miles break in :)

Pistons AND rods ?? Did Arrow say it was ok to use them without balancing the crank ?

What's different in a racing forged vs street forged piston besides maybe the compression ? Certainly nothing to do with oil usage if correctly done.

You may have driven it so easily that the cylinder walls glazed over and the rings never seated. There is tons of info on this relating to new airplane cylinders....never ever run it easy when breaking it in. Maybe overheating it will break them in...may be worth a try. On an airplane, you have to pull the pistons and re-hone the cylinder walls.

Oh yea...why did you take the engine apart to see blowby ? Did you do a leak down test before hand ?

OP
OP
I

INFURNA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the problem was I had chrome moly rings and Tom at Arrow told me those type of rings are very hard to seat, and hense most of the rings never sat, so we got a standard set of rings and filed them for nitrous.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang