Need help finding Superbird

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,
I'm looking for an original hemi superbird. Being that they only made 70 or so of these winged warriors is proving a challenge to find one for sale.

Any of you know someone with one or seen one for sale? No 440's, I need
a hemi.

Thanks,
Dave

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go over to my frinds site....http://www.moparstyle.com and post it there. also look up a guy called hemi-tyme...he has a few and would know where to send ya if he dont have one for ya. he restores birds for a living.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a call out to Matt Morris he is a good person to contact. He posts here every now an again. Galen Govier is another good source, You can find his number in some of the mopar magazines. Also there is a Hemi Restorer in the midwest area named Rodger. Cant remember the last name. My money is on Galen Govier he has the Mopar Registry.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also there is a Hemi Restorer in the midwest area named Rodger. Cant remember the last name. My money is on Galen Govier he has the Mopar Registry.

That would be Roger Gibson. He's in southern Missouri, he specializes in restorations on rare Mopars. Depending on who you ask, he the current premier expert.

Dave, are you looking for yourself or Steve?
I know Steve said he wanted a Hemi Wing car.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both Rodge & Galen can be expensive but when you are dealing with a small number of builds its good insurance to have someone that can crunch the numbers for you. There is also a guy in florida that specializes in the resto of these rare breeds. Have you thought about the Winged origional???
The Daytona????

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both Rodge & Galen can be expensive but when you are dealing with a small number of builds its good insurance to have someone that can crunch the numbers for you. There is also a guy in florida that specializes in the resto of these rare breeds. Have you thought about the Winged origional???
The Daytona????

Big difference in price going from a hemi superbird to a hemi challenger. I hope you're prepared to drop at least 2 Vipers worth (new) for a done car.

I'll pass this request along.....

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Daytona????

Big difference in price going from a hemi superbird to a hemi challenger. I hope you're prepared to drop at least 2 Vipers worth (new) for a done car.

Hemi Challenger was never brought up.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all...Plymouth built 135 Hemi 'birds...so you have twice as big a field to look through than you thought.

If I were in the market for a big-dollar musclecar...I'd wait. They are at incredibly over inflated prices now, and it won't be long before there is a correction(price drop).

Galen Govier is known as the authority on Mopars, but is also not infallable. And, with his help comes a hefty pricetag. There are many self proclaimed experts in the Moapr field, and most of them have something to sell.

I would scan Hemmings. Once you find a car you are interested in, contact me, and I can look up the VIN in a list I have that was makde when the 'birds came off the line new. This way, you will at least know if it's a real 'bird and not a clone.

There are many other things to check on a 'bird. Look for the VIN on the doorjamb sticker, VIN plate, data plate, engine and trans. Some were also stamped on the rad support. There much more to get into once you find a car.

Feel free to contact me if you need help. I restored two Superbird and know them well.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out Hemmings Motor News. In the November issue there were three or four 440-6 listed but no Hemi's. They had a Hemi listed a couple of months ago for 169K I think.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Daytona????

Hemi Challenger was never brought up.

I meant daytona. dunno how I crossed those two up.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i understand. thanks for clearing it up....now if you really want to spend upwards of 1/2mil, look for a primo Hemi Cuda.....

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the birds were going for a cool mil? If not why the Hemi-Cuda and not the birds.
C

The only Mopars to touch the 1 mill mark are 1971 Hemi Cuda converts. Only made 11 of em. The story on the car that sold for $1 mill is very interesting. There is simply too many Superbirds for them to ever approach that kind of money.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daytona & Birds were built for 1 reason, and that is NASCAR. Back in the days you had to build x number of cars to be considered to race in NASCAR. Now remember when looking for HEMI's. Matt stated that there were 135 Bird Hemi's & i do believe that there were 78 Daytona Hemi's built. These cars are available. I still suggest calling Galen Govier or Roder Gibson. They will know where these cars are and if they are for sale. If you decide not to contact them you will have to tap into the MOPAR Winged Warrior pipeline.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dad has a 69 M code Roadrunner and he is in the North Oakland Mopar Club in Michigan. The owner/president, Harold Sullivan, of the club has 50 or so Mopars and many Hemi's. Go to http://440sixpack.com/

Get Mopar Collectors Guide

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave

In my latest copy of the newsletter for the Daytona/Superbird club there is a Hemi Bird listed for sale. It is a Tor-red column auto with black buckets that had a ground up restoration. They want $135K. The number is 818 345 0515. That's all the info they give. In addition, the president of the club can be reached at 262 786 8413 or the web site is www.superbirdclub.com. I am also a member of the National B body owners association. That would be another good source.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960