Need MD/DC/VA Club Members Help

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was a pleasure to meet so many local Viper owners at the crab feast on Kent Island. Your hospitality toward a prospective Viper owner is appreciated (I was the guy with the Porsche - thanks for taking it easy on me).

I have been reading these boards for a while and think I am ready to take the leap. Today I looked at a 98 RT/10 (Red 20k mi.) in Great Falls VA. This car needs some TLC. It had clearly been hit and has some shabby paint work on it. The body panels are 'off center', the interior looks like the car should have 75k mi. and it was just an overall mess. I don't think it has ever been garaged with sun damage to the soft top and paint and the wheels are curbed.

The car is being offered at a good price $39k. However, being a total newbie I am concerned that I might be buying a car that noone else wants as it has been for sale for a long time.

Can I proposition a local member in the know, to look at the car and give me an opinion? I am not afraid of a project and certainly value your opinions.

Thanks in advance! Jody

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to be local, not a member, but an enthusiast that went to a lot of the meets. First time I missed the Crab Feast in 3 years. I wouldn't go for that car. Too much damage for too much asking price. I've heard of guys getting 'good' used 93-95 RT/10s for that price. Hope some other forum gurus and local members will jump on and let you know what they think.

We always have some non-Viper attendees at the Feast. Two years ago it was a Prowler and F355, last year an '03 SVT Mustang and LPE twin turbo Vette.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was a great time surely. However, my Boxster doesn't play in the sandbox that you mentioned. Still a great car all the same.

I think you may be right. I'm not at all opposed to a Gen I. My problem is getting the bank to finance an older car. They look at the 'book value' and tell me what they will lend. With current interest rates etc. it doesn't make sense for me to make this a cash purchase. Thanks for the reply.

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely keep looking as that is a poor deal. FYI, I bought my 99 GTS with 5500 miles and absolutely excellent condition for $45k in March 2003.

Also, keep an eye on autotrader.com, cars.com, and ebaymotors.com.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Raven, for some reason I just thought of looking at your location. Where in Annapolis do you live? I have a few relatives that live in Annap., and I used to live in Severna Park myself.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually, I just moved from Forest Drive to Kent Island. Better roads. HA! I grew up in Pasadena and went to school at Spalding, so I am intimate with the great driving terrain of Severna Park.

I've only seen one other Viper crusing around the city. Everytime I try to catch up to the guy to chat, my Boxster runs out of power. Not for long hopefully.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah Yeah. There are no flags in this league for piling on...

I just drove my first Viper yesterday. Wind up toy is a pretty good parallel. However, my Corvette buddies (I sold my C5) say about my Boxster - 'that is a nice car, I think my sister has one'.

The pain, the pain...

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TAKE YOUR TIME! Don't rush into a Viper purchase. Learn what to look for and what to stay away from. There are plenty of cars out there for sale now, the right one will come your way. To get one with a pedigree it will cost a little more.
Good luck!

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got into Viper from my girlfriend's dad, he owns a 00 Black and Silver GTS in Severna Park. You may have seen his car at the Feast. What car is it that you always try to catch up to? Lee doesn't do much speeding when in the Viper, but he'll nail the gas once in a while at the stop lights.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know, patience is tough to grasp. I see a red Gen I rolling around town, so it is definitely not Lee. I should have made more rounds at the crab feast. Instead, I spent a lot of time in the parking lot standing in a self created puddle. 58 snakes and great company sure did make my weekend.

I am not so much concerned with the pedigree. Honestly, I am looking for a clean orginal RT under $40k. If someone did some minor cosmetic upgrades (stereo etc.) I won't be heartbroken. I'm not terribly interested in performance upgrades as the car does the trick for me right out of the box.

I have a couple of good prospects:

95 RT <1k mi. in east TX - check VCA classifieds
95 RT Woodhouse 9k mi. It's Pemberton, I hear you can't go wrong
96 RT at Vmania. 30k mi. extra goodies (wheels/hardtop) Haven't seen the car yet, but sounds reasonable.

I'd like to stay in the low 30's for my first Viper. I know I am asking for the world, but I figure that outrageous expectations are inate to a prospective Viper owner. Thanks again for all your comments guys. I look forward to being in the club one day soon.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm the Serverna Park guy mentioned earlier. If you want some help looking at a car I would be glad to help. If you want to raise the bar a little bit cost wise I know where a perfect 2000 red GTS is just off Log inn rd at the Sandy Point exit off 50. I looked at it for a guy on the west coast, I haven't heard what happened so I imagine it did not sell. This is a 4000 mile, PERFECT 2000gts. IM me if interested either in that car or for help looking at a car.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Lee. I have spoken with him. The car is appealing to say the least. I am unfortunately partial to an RT. For some reason I like the wind. I would however like to catch up as time allows. Thanks for your assistance, I will send you a PM.

jody :)

Peter-RedGTS'98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jody, this is not a good deal. You need to look around. I bought my (Red 98 GTS) in perfect condition, 11k miles, very few mods (K&N, Mopar/Borla exhaust) I would do anyway, for $47k. This was back in April 2003 where prices jumped after cold winter hibernation. I virtually saw the price movement and I lost several deals to people being faster by several hours!!! We have a rush right now. Late fall and winter will be better if you can wait. Well, I know – this is not the best advice you would like to get.

It was nice to meet you at the crab feast. Do you remember us - my wife and I were at the table with Ron and Mike. Send me an email if you need help.

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Peter. I do remember you. Nice meeting you. I will shoot you an e-mail if/when I find a car in your part of Virginia.

Thanks for your help!

Jody