Need some advice???

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well...:(

The car had been sitting in the garage for about two weeks & today was a nice day here in Tejas. I decided to take her for a quick spin & pick up wiper blades at Autozone for one of my other vehicles...Double parked & far from anyone else...and as you guessed some one in a suburban backed into the left rear of my car. The driver's side decklid is damaged at the corner near the license plate. Please correct me if i'm wrong but is the decklid composed of fiberglass??? I'd say there's about a 6 - 7 inch gouge in it. The rear bumper is also scuffed on the left rear as well. To top it off when I opened it at home to see if there was any damage inside; the trunk is off & scratched some of the rear quarter panel area when I opened it. :mad:

So...is it reasonable for me to insist I receive a new trunk? I really do not want this one "repaired". Also, I can not for the life of me remember the term but when a vehicle is damaged it looses resale value...should I also insist on compensation for this. All responses are greatly appreciated. My car is a 1995 Gen I RT/10.

Thanks,

J.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well it is the other persons fault so you can make them replace the decklid or ask your ins company they will fight for u beleive it or not they will its in there best interest as well

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well...:(

The car had been sitting in the garage for about two weeks & today was a nice day here in Tejas. I decided to take her for a quick spin & pick up wiper blades at Autozone for one of my other vehicles...Double parked & far from anyone else...and as you guessed some one in a suburban backed into the left rear of my car. The driver's side decklid is damaged at the corner near the license plate. Please correct me if i'm wrong but is the decklid composed of fiberglass??? I'd say there's about a 6 - 7 inch gouge in it. The rear bumper is also scuffed on the left rear as well. To top it off when I opened it at home to see if there was any damage inside; the trunk is off & scratched some of the rear quarter panel area when I opened it. :mad:

So...is it reasonable for me to insist I receive a new trunk? I really do not want this one "repaired". Also, I can not for the life of me remember the term but when a vehicle is damaged it looses resale value...should I also insist on compensation for this. All responses are greatly appreciated. My car is a 1995 Gen I RT/10.

Thanks, J.

Hit and Run? "Diminished Value" is the term you are looking for. I doubt a NEW trunk -if available- would be worth more than a period-correct USED trunk.......

whts-nxt?

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I usually never say this because you cant tell a whole lot by a pic. That would be a little helpful. IF it's on the surface then it shouldnt be a bad repair and will be harder to make an insurance company pay for replacing it. If you could get say two or three bodyshops to say that it would not be a professional repair then you shouldnt have to much of a problem getting them to pay for it. it being someone elses fault will make it favorable to have you happy. Talk with some shops and see if you could get them to agree with replacing it instead of repairing it. Its kinda hard for one insurance adjuster to argue with three or four bodyshops.

whts-nxt?

Viper Owner
Reaction score
jon b is right a used one is what they will prefer anyway and as long as a used decklid is mint then there isnt anything wrong with that. A decklid is cosmetic so its not like a functional part that wears out.

OP
OP
T

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks...diminished value it is...not hit and run; the gentleman stopped & was very apologetic. There's about a 1/2 inch in width gouge that extends approximately 7 inches in length with what I believe is fiberglass exposed. I'd be fine with an undamaged period correct trunk. Jon, do you have any in stock???

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe it is fiberglass.

What do you mean the trunk is off? Structural damage?

OP
OP
T

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like fiberglass, but I am by no means an automotive repair man. I think the trunk was pushed to the right slightly where it hinges to the body??? I'll have them put it on a lift with the estimates. This was a very low rate of speed accident. I do not suspect any frame damage???

whts-nxt?

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It looks like fiberglass, but I am by no means an automotive repair man. I think the trunk was pushed to the right slightly where it hinges to the body??? I'll have them put it on a lift with the estimates. This was a very low rate of speed accident. I do not suspect any frame damage???

It takes a good amount of force for the frame damage.. The way you are talking its probably the hinges bent, which are super weak or the striker pushed a little bit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960