Need some help. Any suggestions?

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to remove one of my front rims but have a problem with one lug nut. I coulnd't get it to loosen and I eventually stripped it. I had the correct size socket but I forced it enought that is stripped the lug nug :mad:

What is the best solution for getting this removed? All the other lug nuts were loosened without a problem. Just the one is the problem child!

Should I try forcing a smaller socket over it? Will heating it a bit help also? Cut the lug but I don't see how to get to it without hitting th rim itself. Any ideas?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like carguy said.....you need to see if the stud is turning or just the nut. We need to know what year wheels.....my 1996 has a cover over the nuts and they are open ended....newer has chrome nuts not open ended.

edit...the stud probably is ok if you rounded the outside of the lug nut.

Are you using a 6 point or 12 point socket ? Also some liquid wrench over night will help if you continue with a socket.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What usually works, providing that you're problem is that it won't break loose at all and you're rounding the outside of the lug nut.

Put all the lug nuts back on.
Start with the problem one,
Take a 6 point deep well impact socket (19mm or 3/4 inch is correct)
Put it on the lug nut,
(do this part carefully) you don't want to hit the wheel.
Hit the end of the socket hard (straight in) several times with a heavy hammer.
Then try breaking it loose, an impact would be the best choice for this but a breaker bar will work too.

If it's rounded too much, try a smaller size socket (what ever size you can force over the lug nut and get a tight fit).

I ran a tire store for 9 years and this always worked for lugs that wouldn't break loose.

Good luck!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich's way is alot easier and should work, however, I had one that wouldn't come off and here was how I got it off - take a small drill bit (approx 1/8" or 5/32") and drill straight as possible into the wall of the lug nut. Stay as close to the stud as possible and drill the full length of the lug nut. If you held the drill straight you will almost have severed the wall of the lug nut. Now take a small sharp chisel and cut the remaining material out. If you are careful you will not hurt anything. I had a lug nut gall on the threads when I used my air tool. I now always use anti-seize about every third time I pull the wheels. My misfortune happened on Purners and they have less access to the bolt area than stock wheels.

Reaction score
There are extractors for rounded bolts/nuts. Soak with WD40 first. (as suggested before replace the other lug nuts before trying to remove.) And use an impact wrench/gun.

OP
OP
Z

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions :)

I rounded the lug nut and the stud is ok. I kind of tried using the 19 mm socket and hitting it a few times (not hard though) and it just rounded more. Maybe I didn't hit it hard enough. I'll soak it with WD40 tonight and give it a try again. I have the '99 style wheels. Where's a good place to purchase new lugs anyway?

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Definitely use an impact on it. If you do not have air tools go to Sears and get an electric impact (around $150). If you need an extension cord get the heaviest gauge you can. Does a great job for the shade tree mechanic. Just use your regular sockets if you don’t want to invest in impact sockets. They will hold up for a while until you get impact sockets. Best tool I ever bought. Hand tighten of course. Anyone know the correct torque for Viper lug nuts?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque for my '97 is 90 ft / lbs. I always torque by hand in sequence, but the lock nuts I only do to 80 ft/lbs at most! Those fronts weld themselves on with brake heat time! If you've rounded the nut totally, after WD etc, then try and hammer a 6-sided only socket on (smaller size if need be) heat may help also. The service manual says "don't"...but I have a little copper grease on my stud threads. You can buy nuts and studs if the worst happens! Good luck.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed thousands of stripped screws/bolts/nuts as a machinist in the Air Force. I almost miss doing it.

Probably too late for penetrating fluid, WD40 is worthless anyway. Use Lawson Products fluid.

JackB has the best advice although I'd use a small grinder and carefully slice grooves on opposite sides of the nut. Torque all the good nuts down then put a chisel in on one the grooves and start beating away. The nut will eventually split.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4