new fuel pump cost?

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone have an idea the cost of a new fuel pump for a 96 rt/10?:dunno: i think i may have to replace mine and want to know what i am going to get into it.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
M2 (Larry Macedo) Motorsports in Florida is where I got my Wlabro 255. Same company makes stock Viper 215 pumps (according to vendors). Reasonably priced and quick from Larry. He knows which Wlabro pump you need.

Agree that Walbro upgrade is BETTER.

Ted

benson8708

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was thinking about a carter fuel pump. I thing it is like 320 buck. Anybody heard of those? Good...Bad...?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
new walbro is gonna run you 100 bucks. thats the best option
a used walbro comes in a pair for 100 bucks here in the classifieds..... :)

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a factory pump that you can buy if you are interested. How does $200.00 sound? It has 15k miles.

You cant put in an after market pump unless you also put in a return line and a regulator. Factory pumps run 55 psi, aftermarket walbro's regulate internally to 100psi or so.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a factory pump that you can buy if you are interested. How does $200.00 sound? It has 15k miles.

You cant put in an after market pump unless you also put in a return line and a regulator. Factory pumps run 55 psi, aftermarket walbro's regulate internally to 100psi or so.

Russ:

are you saying you cannot put in an aftermarket Walbro, I have run a aftermarket Walbro 255 for a mustang for five years.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a Walbro 255 that runs 55psi (even at WOT when stockers often lower pressure to 50psi). No return line.

Ted

OP
OP
W

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks for the offer but i am going to wait until next spring until i do anything and have chuck tator check it out.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Walbro take a little finesse to install but it doesn't require any extra plumbing, return lines or regulators.:nono:

* At least not on the 97 models. I am running a Walbro with none of that extra stuff.

Last edited:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ:

are you saying you cannot put in an aftermarket Walbro, I have run a aftermarket Walbro 255 for a mustang for five years.

Thats exactly what I am saying.

The year matters I know for a fact that at least 98's and 99's(not sure about what portion of those years) do not have external regulators on the assembly. The pumps on those years are internally regulated, which means if you put in a pump that has a built in 100psi relief will run 100 psi and all the new internal aftermarket walbro pumps have that 100psi relief.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Viper and my Stealth R/T TT have Walbros and run 55 psi. Last Walbro I bought was from Macedo Motorsports (site sponsor) because he knows which one is the replacement pump.

Ted

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I am saying.

The year matters I know for a fact that at least 98's and 99's(not sure about what portion of those years) do not have external regulators on the assembly. The pumps on those years are internally regulated, which means if you put in a pump that has a built in 100psi relief will run 100 psi and all the new internal aftermarket walbro pumps have that 100psi relief.

You bring up an interesting issue, but, there is a problem. Mine (97) is a rock solid 55 psi, there is a post above with a 2001 that is also working without a return. I also know of a 98, 99 and 00 , all with the Walbro. When i pulled mine I was convinced the old pump had a built in regulator, but, as i investigated further, it appears the regulator is built into the bottle fittings. I have the old pump, if I have some time i will pressurize it and try to see what value i get.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack,

Are you saying the littple plastic ****** with the little puck looking plastic piece is the factory regulator?

If so then I could be wrong.