new owner - question about the future of Viper

Ghosteh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all!

I just purchased my first Viper ('06 SRT coupe, blue w/ white) and am making arrangements to bring it home soon. I've owned many high-performance cars in the past, including sports & muscle cars, as well as early & late model Indy cars & other race cars, and have a healthy respect for very high-power/ low weight vehicles. However, I've read many threads here about being a new Viper owner & will be exercising extreme caution (as well as immediately getting fresh tires). The last thing I want to do is wrap this around a telephone pole!

My question for everyone is about the future of Viper production and their collectability. How long can such a low-production car be maintained, and if the decision is made to stop building them (isn't that the current rumor?), will they all appreciate rapidly? To me, they seem to tick off all the boxes for a highly collectible car, such as very low production, high performance, extremely unique appearance, etc. A rising tide lifts all boats, but which years/models does everyone see as having the best appreciation in the future? Make a prediction based on all possible scenarios, if you can. In 10, 20, or more years, how will a Viper compare to other cars?

I never buy a car based only on future collectability, but it's always something I think about. I was fortunate several years ago to purchase a Porsche 930, which I just sold, (the Viper is actually taking its spot in the garage), and it was nice to own & enjoy a car for many years, and then sell it for close to 3-times what I paid for it. (Honestly, to me that car has appreciated beyond what it's actually worth when you look at comparable cars.) I know there are a lot of folks here who live & breathe Viper, and I think it would be interesting to hear what you think the future holds for the brand.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also believe the car has many attributes that make them collectible, but not terribly valuable at this time. Because styling really hasn't changed much over 20 years, I think the most collectible will be the newest and highest performance models, with everything else being collectible, but very affordable. So I think the answer to your question really hinges on how future Viper generations change, and if and when production ends. My guess is that there are more of every Viper readily available than there is demand, that there are a great many in pristine condition due to sparingly little use, and that doesn't bode well for values being pushed skyward.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll tell you what's gonna be worth a FORTUNE in the future: a heavily tracked black Viper TA with video documentation and attached journals across multiple forums. On a serious note, the 96 GTS's will be worth the most...garnering triple their current value ten years from now. The ones with the rare and no longer produced Roe superchargers will be worth even more.

Fangs10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just don't stick it in the garage, drive it 2x a year and put 500 miles on it over the next 5 years. I bought it to enjoy and drive it when I can...not just sit in garage.