New Project, Headliner pocket sag fix

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am exploring ideas to fix that stupid saggy pocket in the headliner. I have a spare headliner, or 2 and I have removed that pocket already. I will be heading to the store tomorrow or sometime soon to see if I can make a new pocket for it because I hate the fact that it sags like hell. I have yet to see a single gen 2 gts without it all nasty looking. Has anyone corrected this issue already?

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple fix. Take your pocket and glue a piece of hard plastic to the backside and reinstall it. I haven't done this but that should stop it from sagging. Worth a try any ways.

slowfrc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be watching this thread, as with everyone else I have the same problem. I don't put anything in it for fear that it'll exacerbate the problem.

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone take a quick pic of their problem pocket when ya get a chance? I never knew this was a potential problem.

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fixed both of them headliner, and console pocket. Mine look great, used a high temp. adhesive. I own an appliance repair company and I used the same glue on the pocket that is used to hold felt dryer seals in place. Put a small amount on the back side of the stretched out elastic and then folded it over. It gets tacky in about 2 minutes. Once dry it is impossible to separate. Will get some pics of it and part # for glue if interested.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about using black Elastic thread and hand sewing down (using small stitches) the length slightly pulling the thread as you go?

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Any reputable appliance parts dealer will have this kit in stock. Give them part # 5303937139. This is a glide for a frigidaire dryer. Toss glide in trash and use the glue in the kit. It is really good stuff.

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I don't want to hijack this thread but I noticed last time I put my hardtop on that not only the pocket sags but also the headliner itself in some areas :omg:

Any ideas how to fix this? I couldn't figure out though if there is any easy way to remove the sagging headliner...:rolleyes:

Holger

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your pocket in the headliner is different than mine, I have a double pocket up there. I picked up some fabric, elastic, and stretchy material today. Hope to find time to mess with it this week.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here. Both on the headliner are stretched as is the one between the seats. Looks tacky.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for late news this project has gone very slow. I don't sew and my buddy who does has a hold up in progress so I may bring this one to a upholsterer to have it done. He had a nice starting point though that just needed to be stitched straight. As far as creating something that I can mail out and people can just install on their own, might be a little tricky. The inside of the pocket really needs to be sewn since it only has a couple holding points around the edge. To be continued.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same problem on my '01 GTS ... for a while! After studying the pocket and realizing that the whole headliner had to be removed to get it off, I took a different tack. Went and got some black elastic (1/2") at the fabric store and threaded up a short curved needle with black thread. I stretched out he elastice behind the original elastic and hand stitched it at about 1/4" intervals. It takes a little while, but my top pockets look fine now. I'll get around to the center console pocket the next time I pull the seat out. Considering the time and cost for removing the headliner, this seems like a reasonable effort for a nice result.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The headliner is super easy to remove though you have to remove a bunch of panels to do so. I thought about just stitching up the pocket itself but I wanted a permanent fix and I could not get it to look good.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the thing functional even when not saggy? Mine started out reasonably tight, but ANYTHING you put there comes flying at me when I nail the right pedal. I quit putting anything there years ago figuring it was the design and not the materials.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62