New racing ECU

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering buying a race prepped 2008 ACR from Arizona, I am in California. The car has a racing ECU and he does not have the stock ECU, I am worried it will not pass smog as I will drive it on the street also. Can I just buy a stock ECU and will it work. I seem to remember something about not being able to do this for one reason or another. Does anybody KNOW about this issue??????

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If its just the Mopar ECU or something similar... then just put an OEM ECU back in, its not a big deal.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Kind of tough to get a stock ECU since they are Vin specific. Need to see why the guy doesn't have the original ,as it wouldn't really do anyone else any good.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Kind of tough to get a stock ECU since they are Vin specific. Need to see why the guy doesn't have the original ,as it wouldn't really do anyone else any good.

Bill-

New ECU's are flashed with the VIN when they are installed. None of the other modules in the car care about VIN, and assuming you are in a state that does not read the VIN as part of any inspections, it does not matter one bit if the PCM VIN does not match. Granted, this is a Gen-4, but also remember how just about every Roe S/C Gen-2 car has PCM's switched and swapped to no end- it really makes no difference.

Viperizer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will gladly trade ya a factory unit with 38 miles for your race unit!!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Let me be more specific. Dodge is not giving Dealers a Stock PCM unless they have the original ( for a core ). This is because they do not want mileage altered , etc. So when I am stating they are Vin specific it is based on trying to get a stock PCM when you don't have the original virtually means you will be SOL -- too much concern that someone will alter miles etc. Hence the reason I asked what the original owner did with the stock PCM , as it is highly unlikely you will be able to get another as items are tied to that Vin number.

Main reason we tell all our customers to keep their stock units -- they frankly are not of any use to anyone else anyway.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Bill-

While I cant argue with that since they pull the same crap with BCM's, he can always find a used one from a salvage car, and just use it as a core when in a bind... I have had to do the same thing before on a car whacked hard enough that the BCM went missing, ha

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let me be more specific. Dodge is not giving Dealers a Stock PCM unless they have the original ( for a core ). This is because they do not want mileage altered , etc. So when I am stating they are Vin specific it is based on trying to get a stock PCM when you don't have the original virtually means you will be SOL -- too much concern that someone will alter miles etc. Hence the reason I asked what the original owner did with the stock PCM , as it is highly unlikely you will be able to get another as items are tied to that Vin number.

Main reason we tell all our customers to keep their stock units -- they frankly are not of any use to anyone else anyway.

Bill, this is an excellent thread. What happens if you are the 3rd owner of a car? Let's say I have a friend, who is a third owner of a 2003 Viper, which has a Mopar Race (?) ECU. It is "off-road" only. No idea where or when in the life of the car the original was swapped out, and the car was not bought from any of the previous owners. Here in PA, under 5000 miles a year we are emissions exempt, but let's say some day, my friend wants to make get an emissions-legal ECU so the car can be sold to someone like Socal Rebell who will need to have it emissions tested.

You mean to say that essentially it cannot? I can't believe that. What happens if a car is in an accident, and somehow, there is NO core to send to Chrysler - an engine fire, for instance. There must be a way. Curious for you thoughts. Would a salvage unit like suggested above work?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Swexlin,

Good thoughts and I agree with you. Maybe things have changed , but Dodge is concerned with mileage alteration and unless something has happened recently , we had a bear getting a stock ECU without a core. I know of one 05 we had that never ran right from a mod done elsewhere and no one had the stock ECU. Never got it really right and could not get one from Dodge to replace the upgraded one. I felt the same as you and unless there has been a recent reality check it is still the same. I likely should check with Mark J. , as I could be wrong, but we were told it was all a legal issue in the past as Dodge did not want any liability for someone altering mileage, etc.

My reasoning was the upgraded ECU recognized the mileage so what the heck. We always try to remind our customers to keep their stock one as it may be needed later if one wants to meet emissions, or go back to the basics.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Bill-

I think this issue is very application specific.

-I know it applies to BCM's, which you have to supply a core for [even if destroyed] or jump through flaming hoops otherwise with a DAMN good reason why you dont have one.

-It does not however, apply to 1996-2006 JTEC controllers. I have bought dozens of them over the years, never with a core required. The JTEC's can have the mileage changed whenever you want by anyone with a DRB-III, but it is just a "guide" mileage, that is not what the odometer reads anyway.

-I dont know for certain if it applies to VENOM Controllers, I have not tried to order a new one that wasnt a Mopar computer. It would not seem to me that it would be a controlled item, because like the Gen-3, the Gen-4 does not store the Odometer in the PCM either- if you switch the PCM with a lower mileage one, it will NOT affect the odometer.

The only difference in processes from Gen-3 to Gen-4 is that a Gen-4 VENOM does indeed need to be programmed with VIN/Mileage and Throttle calibration before use at a dealer, where the JTEC controllers do not, and will work even if not programmed with VIN and Mileage.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bill and Final GTS, thanks both for your comments. I guess my friend will have to cross this bridge if and when it comes to it. I would imagine that there are quite a few altered/modded cars out there like this in this same situation.

However, since the unit in the car IS a Mopar ECU, I would think that IT could be sent as the core, and swapped for the street-stock unit from Chrysler, is this correct, or no?

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
However, since the unit in the car IS a Mopar ECU, I would think that IT could be sent as the core, and swapped for the street-stock unit from Chrysler, is this correct, or no?

Could if it comes down to it, yes, but it is counterproductive $$$ wise since the Mopar controller isnt cheap.

Reaction score
The Mopar ECU has a different part number and would likely not be considered a good core by Chrysler. I would do everything possible to find the original one before trying anything else on the Gen4. If you cannot and have exhausted ALL other avenues contact me directly and I will see what if anything can be done, could be nothing could be something...

Reaction score
Well guess I eat crow here, just went back and talked with the parts guys, they said you can buy a new one and have it flashed at the dealership, but if you have no core you have to pay for it (the core charge).

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well guess I eat crow here, just went back and talked with the parts guys, they said you can buy a new one and have it flashed at the dealership, but if you have no core you have to pay for it (the core charge).

Appreciate the information! Good to know if my "friend" ever runs into a situation where he needs to go back to a stock ECU and exhaust. Realize it wouldn't be cheap, but nice to know it's do-able! This is a GREAT forum, best in the car world!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi