New SR-10 or 02 Porsche TT ???

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already own a 95 Viper & I Love it! It will always be my favorite weekend past-time but it is time for a new everyday ride and I cannot decide.

Opinions? Anyone own both?

Thanx

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that's a pretty simple decision, considering the Viper is an exotic of brute force and the Porsche is a sports car of high technology and refinement. So, ask yourself, do you want an exotic that is brute force or do you want a sports car that is high tech and refinement? They are so totally different. Now, if they were very similar, then, yes, that would be a hard decision, but they are completely different machines in every way. Ya know?
How about you sell the old Viper, get a new Viper, then get the Porsche. What about that? The best of both worlds! :D
-Daffy

OP
OP
O

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks.

Price really is not that great a concern. I can get a black 02 TT w/ 1,200 miles for $115+ and the Viper looks like it will run in the 80's. That is quite a bit more but when you're shopping for a car that cost this much already.... who cares!

The TT looks like a great car and it drives very fast and tight. I need at least to drive the new Viper first though and that is pretty difficult still.

I will say that if the SR-10 had a coupe version and it looked anything like the prototype on the outside and the convert on the inside (with that engine!), it would be no contest. Build that car!!!

Thanks

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Viper is outrageous and makes a statement.

The Turbo I don't think attracts that much attention.

The Wall Street journal made a comment about the GT2. Do you really want to pay that much money for a car that looks like the car your Dentist drives? No slam against Dentists but it is a point.

I personally like the Viper since it requires a certain level of skill to drive.

The Porsches and BMW's seem to take some of the excitement out of the driving. I'm sure much of this is for liability reasons.

If you're trying to pass yourself off as someone who has an independant and rebellious nature, buy the Viper.

If you want to stand around at a Cocktail party and extol the virtues of all wheel drive and the sophisticated controls buy the Porsche.

I can't think of either situation turning out badly.

Tom B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own a 02 GTS FE, and a 03 996TT X50. They are completely different cars, but they are both great cars. The 996 is my 3rd, and the Viper is my 2nd. I tried to live with just one, but have ended up with both in the garage. The 996, gives a more controlled, tighter feel, the quality level is very high. It is easily modified, ECU, muffler = much higher (usable) power. The Viper offers brute force that isn't matched by anyone. The power is also easily modified. It also draws more attenion then any car I've owned. I wasn't able to decide on one car, You can't go wrong with either, or both.
Tom

PS- sil350 -I just bought a New 02 GTS FE for 68,000, price of a new 996TT X50 is 136,000-150,000.

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both the 03 srt/10 and the 996 TT. The 996 is a VERY different car. I did some exhaust work, new diverter valves, new cats and a new computer program. The TT has about 600 HP now. The car ran a 11.02 in the 1/4 mile. The great thing about the TT is the launch. You can dump the clutch and go like hell. I have only 9 miles on my SRT and have not driven it due to the weather. I can tell you that for everyday I would go with the TT. It is easier to get in and out and you have more creature comforts (Power lumbar seats, power seats, auto temp control, a small back seat for kids, Porsche Stability Management and All Wheel Drive). For a weekend car get the Viper hands down!!!

Click on my link at the bottom to see both cars.
Pics of my stable
Good Luck,
ROB :usa:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer the original question check out Rob's picture in his driveway of the SRT nose to nose with the Porsche. And I was gonna say get the TT. Not after seing THAT picture. The SRT looks mean in that comparison. I keep comparing it to the GTS, but parked next to other stuff it looks BAD! I'm no good at posting pictures but think black!

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want raw perfromance, I think the SRT will beat the TT in EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY. We just have to get a good editor in a car magazine to prove that.

Okay, so maybe it won't beat the TT in 60' foot time--it looks like we're still saddled with those long 60's but who cares? It will catch up and pass him long before the 1/4 marker.

Now, if we could only outhandle those pesky CooperS's :) )

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
El Diablo in a Porsche TT? Now remember how many folks have mentioned that the Porsche is a beautiful , fast, mausheen, but there are so many active
handling and electronic aids that it is like trying to drive fast with your High School Driver's Ed teacher sitting next to you. Now where da thrill in dat , bro?

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wiseasp....I want your stable. Can I ask what you do for a living? Im jealous.

Go to college and work your A$$ off.

I did get "lucky" ;) in the stock market and was fortunate to pull out before it went to %*(#.

My motto now is "To win without risk is to triumph without glory!"

OP
OP
O

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone, especially you Rob (wiseasp).

Rob, if for any reason you had to part with all your toys but one which would you keep, the Viper or the Porsche? Why?

It's looking like the Porsche. I already have my favorite brute car in the Gen1 Viper, which is looking more and more brutish every year as the line evolves. I already have it up to 500HP but I think it is time for a SC package. After all, if I get the Porsche my Viper will not be the HP king in the garage and we can't have that!

Thanks again.

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love all the toys. I have not yet driven the Viper, but once I do I am sure I will be pleased. I am keeping the Viper for a weekend toy. The Hummer for everyday. My wife has a Honda Odyssey for the kids. To answer your question...I have a Bentley GT on order and will be getting rid of the Porsche. It is a fun car, its bullet proof and it handles like a dream. This is my forth Porsche and they are great. You will not be disapointed in your decision.

ROB

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you all ready have a Viper, I'd recommend getting the Porsche TT. On a smaller scale, I bought a Z06 to go with my Viper and have enjoyed the contrast of owning and driving the two different cars.

Jim

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hey, Rob! What brand of car lift is that you have there? That could solve some issues for me...
Thanks, vic

DC VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 02 gtsFE and a Porsche 996 cabriolet. Lover both. Cabrio is a tip. THese cars are night and day. Viper for sheer performance. Porsche is a great every day driver with much better manners. Still think nothing compares to the vuiper when you step on the loud button. but she is not a every day driver by far. need both.

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, Rob! What brand of car lift is that you have there? That could solve some issues for me...
Thanks, vic

Vic,

The lift is a Back Yard Buddy. I did A LOT of research before buying one of these. I was afraid that it would break or collapse onto someone. This one has been VERY dependable and solid.

Good Luck,

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte