New SRT & Comp Coupe pictures, new angles too...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw this one today over at ASC in Detroit. Interestingly enough, I don't know that this one is much (if any) different from the one at VOI under close inspection. At least not in the actual body design. Yet with the thinner stripes, it DOES look longer in both the front and the back. Note that the stripes on this one don't go through the license plate area either:

You must be registered for see images

Seen a picture with the hatch up yet? I don't remember any...

And yes, that is our beloved Joe Houss and Jay Herbert admiring it up close and personal. And here is what it looks like inside the back:

You can tell this is still very much a prototype, as the back glass is clear with no defroster, etc.

Another view of the back end, with brake lights lit:

And another sign of a prototype: The back third brake light (reminiscent of the GTS) looks perfect:

Until you realize that Fangs is actually painted on and not the metal insert that I seem to recall Sneaky Pete has on the GTS. Note how the light shines right through:

No matter, it still looks pretty dang good:

And the gathered group of VCA members liked it too!

Oh yeah, and the latest color chart (probably just a guide and not the actual color chips):

Hmmmmm, something interesting on there...

Now, we know just about everybody likes the Comp Coupe style and would like to see bits of it on the SRT Coupe. Well, at Rousch Racing where they build the Competition Coupe (yes, that was news to me too), you can clearly see how much longer that back end is, and thus the back window, etc.:

So, what does that do? Well, I am no design expert by any means, but I would suggest that by extending the rear of the car out this much you are extending the entire roofline and slope on the back. Result? Not only is the roofline and car itself longer, but the roof seems to be lower on the CC because it is stretched out. Granted, the car is obviously lower overall, but the roofline doesn't seem to be that much taller on the SRT - just not as long. Of course the fenders are a bit more flared on the CC, and the added front and side splitters drop it down even more:

Looks almost like a stock SRT fascia with the lower bits riveted on:

Maybe you can see what I mean a little better by looking at this ol' thing: :eek:

And another angle of one seriously good looking Viper:

And from the back you can clearly see the Comp Coupe is wider than the SRT - just look at the "gill" openings and see how much wider they are (and open to the wheel wells):

One last picture and comparison for you. Here is the width of the Comp Coupe at the front wheel wells:

And here is the SRT Coupe from a slightly different angle, but same idea:

Bottom line: While I like the length/width on the Comp Coupe and what it does to make it look even lower, the SRT Coupe really does look pretty darn good. But I won't buy one to replace my SRT convertible. Unless they bump it by 50 HP... Hope this was of some help, and hope to post more soon!

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post, Chuck. Sounds like the ASC tour was a fun one! Hope you Prezes conveyed some of the concerns about the coupe too. . . did they say anything about hp?

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris:

I am assuming that the concern/speculation that the front end was high on the display model did not imply a new engine was forthcoming.

Alice

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm. You forgot to mention the different wheels. Are the five spokes a show car exclusive or will they be an option? Anyone know?

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris, hope you guys are having fun up in detroit today!
Did you get to sit in the drivers seat?
The third picture from the top shows a very tall bulkhead. Can you actually see what is behind you, or is there a massive blind spot?
PLEASE work some of your well known majic and network through some of the DC brass hats to find out when the rumored H.P. bump is coming. :D

GTS234

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! Best post on the new coupe yet.

It really is a pretty good looking car (especially the first and second pics, and the first group shot). I think it helps to have the original SRT wheels on it simply for the fact that it is easier to compare the car to the SRT and look at the evolution of the car without the added change of the new five spokes (and I like the five spokes, it just helps to compare apples to apples).

Thankfully, the ride height was right on the one you guys saw. Odd that they would screw up the one on display at the Auto Show so badly.

Was your question on the paint chart refering to the "Copperhead" color?

Did any of you guys raise and lower the hatch yourselves to see how easy it was to handle?

Again, great insight. Thanks.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's awesome! I like the SRT coupe with the Gen III wheels instead of the 5 spoke. Makes it look more classy but add that blue and white paint scheme and it balances out the class with speed looks. I LOVE THAT WHITE CC!!!

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Post! I also like the new coupe (the blue/white stripe combo really does it for me) but the lower CC with the added width at the wheels is much to cool to ignore. They need to incorperate those really cool CC featurs for the new coupe to be a TOTAL knockout.

If you can make a great looking car even better, why not?

Jeff

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your Daman! Thanks for the pics you just made my weekend :2tu: Nice car!!!!

STORMCAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't talk them into additional HP maybe you can get them to cut some weight!!! Great pics thx!!

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Alice,
I think I know where your going with this, that wing sure would look good on the new coupe, maybe Jon B at Parts Rack could ring in on the possibility since he has several types of wings. I wonder if some one here could generate a computer photo of what the new coupe would look like with the CC aerodynamics..I think it would be sweet.....

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if some one here could generate a computer photo of what the new coupe would look like with the CC aerodynamics..I think it would be sweet.....

This is just a quick job using two of the above shots, I will work on a better one later tonight. The scaling just looks off on this one. I think it is because the roofline on the SRT looks so much taller than the CC, it dwarfs the wing.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was your question on the paint chart refering to the "Copperhead" color?

I assume Copperhead was one he was referring to, but also WHITE is listed.

So if the white listed is not just for the stripes on the Blue, then look to see White SRT's in 06.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you liked the pictures. Now, the national board of directors and many of the regional presidents attended a very good meeting today. Including a little Q&A with SRT. Note that you should be speaking with your own regional president regarding most of the content of the meeting, as they should be communicating what took place (largely organizational stuff, 2005 Zone Rendezvous, etc.). Some regional presidents did not attend, as you had to pay your own way (not club funds), so hopefully their Zone directors will fill them in. And one last "disclaimer": You won't get every little detail both because we didn't get them and because we were asked not to repeat any "speculations". Why? The reason is that starting rumors that may or may not come to pass (or God forbid, appear in the press) only hurts the Viper. Saying it will have 800 horsepower (it won't) sets up unrealistic expectations, and saying it won't ever get a horsepower increase won't make anybody happy.

Okay, let's see if I can safely address some things: First, the car did indeed change from what we saw in Dallas:

Note the rear window glass (longer and further back), the rear quarter/fender line (taller), and the very back end degree of angle (spoiler and side cuts). Definitely an improvement all the way around. Oh yeah, and VERY important point and one you have already seen in many press releases: SRT did indeed listen to the owners for their feedback on these changes. They especially look at those that provide constructive feedback - not insults. ;)

Bruce - It' Chris and not Chuck, but that's okay. I just wish I was Chuck - with Two Vipers, of course. :2tu:

Alice #1 - I think it is safe to say that the press releases for the upcoming coupe are accurate.

Fluffy - Not sure on the wheels, but will ask tonight.

Brian - The wife tried it out for size and said the view out the back was pretty much identical to the SRT convertible.

GTS234 - Copperhead is one of two "assigned" colors I noticed on that chart that I haven't seen on the regular run of SRT convertibles. Maybe it is a stripe color only - I honestly don't know. And yep, raised and lowered the hatch and it seems about the same as the SRT convertible trunk - no problem.

viper GTS-R - See above for Dallas SRT Coupe.

Alice #2 - Placing a wing on this car is anybody's guess. Will the current Comp Coupe wing transfer directly? Very doubtful in my opinion: The CC has a virtually flat deck, whereas the SRT Coupe has a pronounced spoiler. That is not to say it won't fit, but you will undoubtedly need to modify either the wing mounts, the SRT deck, or both - if nothing else than with a drill.

Again, thanks for the comments. The last thing I will say in reference to prior posts is that I am VERY comfortable with the Viper program as a whole and with SRT in particular. No Corvettes for me just yet... :D

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris thanks alot. I was right about the lights. Take a close look at the Dallas one. Notice that there very SRT-10 like, where they seem to mold into the rear and make them nice and smooth (as if built in the bumper). The one Chris saw seems to have been pushed in about a 1/4 of an inch. I personally, like this one better.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris:

Thanks for the carefully organized description of changes. It was extremely helpful.

Jon B's carbon fiber parts would look very good for the canards, sill etc...almost CC like.

You mention the orange...any other colors noted, reported or rumored for either coupe or convertible?

Glad that you chose to remark upon the reality that verbal assaults on the company undermines the very goals we want accomplished.

In the near future, this VCA Website will use a more effective means of communicating owners needs and expectancies.

Alice

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheels: Five-spoke polished as on the show cars. And the "polished" part was also a direct result of owner feedback in Dallas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery