NEW VIPER COUPE

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the GenIII Coupe were EXACTLY like the Comp Coupe would anybody object?

Would it matter if being so low it scraped everywhere?

Would it matter that you would need freakishly long arms to reach over the rear deck into the hatch (if you could even open the hatch past the wing!)?

Would it matter that the wing obliterated the rear view?

The reason I mention these things is because it appears the SRT team is trying to give us a "better" car by addressing all this stuff on the Concept Coupe. Only, I don't think Viper is about "better", Viper is about bad ***. If that means no footwell, no problem. If that means hot sills, no problem. If that means no creature comforts of any kind, no problem.

Let Corvette be the "other white meat".

Keep Viper "red meat".

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the GenIII Coupe were EXACTLY like the Comp Coupe would anybody object?

Would it matter if being so low it scraped everywhere?

Would it matter that you would need freakishly long arms to reach over the rear deck into the hatch (if you could even open the hatch past the wing!)?

Would it matter that the wing obliterated the rear view?

The reason I mention these things is because it appears the SRT team is trying to give us a "better" car by addressing all this stuff on the Concept Coupe. Only, I don't think Viper is about "better", Viper is about bad ***. If that means no footwell, no problem. If that means hot sills, no problem. If that means no creature comforts of any kind, no problem.

Let Corvette be the "other white meat".

Keep Viper "red meat".

You're Hired! :headbang:

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay, I am thinking they want to highlight the power in the final version, so no need to steal the thunder. Besides, lack of power has NEVER BEEN A VIPER TRAIT!

ShadowFox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Relax newbie. First off, why should a different cam (that's already designed), a different exhaust (that's already designed), and a different intake (that's already designed) cost substantially more to put on the new coupe? Maybe a few more bucks to tune it properly and make it emmisions legal, but nothing off-the-charts. Your basically just swapping parts. Tooling for new parts is what cost, and that's already been accomplished. An no, they don't have them sitting around for the hell-of-it.... They've been using them (cam + exhaust) in a little race car called the Comp. Coupe. The parts are there for the taking, as many SRT-10 owners have incorporated them into there Vipers with great results! IT IS VERY EASY AND CHEAP TO GET 600+ FLYWHEEL HP FROM THE 8.3L MOTOR. END OF DISCUSSION.

As far as a GTS-R priced in the $80's, why not? Do you realize the older Gen II Viper cost Dodge more to produce than the current model? They dumped the clamshell hood, which was a huge expense. They could (and I think will) keep the car in this price range ($80's). Comparing the 'C5 Z06' to the 'Gen II GTS' is not fair, because the GTS blew it away in looks and performed better. People were willing to spend tens of thousands more for this reason, and the exclusivity was icing-on-the-cake. Now if you have equal performing cars (Gen III GTS vs. C6 Z06), equal (or close) looking cars, not many people are going to spend $35K+ more for a little exclusivity. Some, but not many. I know where I'll be shopping. Like I said, if Dodge wants a winner, they better step up!

[/QUOTE]

I was just bringing some points that 625HP would be costly or somewhat and I had no idea they were going to use CC parts (maybe).
Well thanks for the enlighten... all I can say its going to be interesting to see what Dodge will release, wouldn’t you say so Mr. end of discussion? …

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay, I am thinking they want to highlight the power in the final version, so no need to steal the thunder. Besides, lack of power has NEVER BEEN A VIPER TRAIT!

Thanks Steve!

:2tu:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is such a huge dissapointment, when i first saw the rear end i thought the taillights were taken straight off the Gen1-2 cars, and the roof, what the hell, the car is all edges and lines, and then they put curves in on the roof? where is hte continuity, the flow? what the hell is this thing? And I honestly dont know what the hell is going on with that vertical treatment orginating from the rear spoiler, it totally breaks up any visual flow the car may have had in the first place. DC is making viper guys hate the viper, sad day.

Mahesh:

You could not say it better. DC needs LOTS of help with design. First the SRT-10 and now the SRT-10 coupe. Whats next to ruin?

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Relax newbie. First off, why should a different cam (that's already designed), a different exhaust (that's already designed), and a different intake (that's already designed) cost substantially more to put on the new coupe? Maybe a few more bucks to tune it properly and make it emmisions legal, but nothing off-the-charts. Your basically just swapping parts. Tooling for new parts is what cost, and that's already been accomplished. An no, they don't have them sitting around for the hell-of-it.... They've been using them (cam + exhaust) in a little race car called the Comp. Coupe. The parts are there for the taking, as many SRT-10 owners have incorporated them into there Vipers with great results! IT IS VERY EASY AND CHEAP TO GET 600+ FLYWHEEL HP FROM THE 8.3L MOTOR. END OF DISCUSSION.

As far as a GTS-R priced in the $80's, why not? Do you realize the older Gen II Viper cost Dodge more to produce than the current model? They dumped the clamshell hood, which was a huge expense. They could (and I think will) keep the car in this price range ($80's). Comparing the 'C5 Z06' to the 'Gen II GTS' is not fair, because the GTS blew it away in looks and performed better. People were willing to spend tens of thousands more for this reason, and the exclusivity was icing-on-the-cake. Now if you have equal performing cars (Gen III GTS vs. C6 Z06), equal (or close) looking cars, not many people are going to spend $35K+ more for a little exclusivity. Some, but not many. I know where I'll be shopping. Like I said, if Dodge wants a winner, they better step up!

I was just bringing some points that 625HP would be costly or somewhat and I had no idea they were going to use CC parts (maybe).
Well thanks for the enlighten... all I can say its going to be interesting to see what Dodge will release, wouldn’t you say so Mr. end of discussion? …

[/QUOTE]

It's all good, Shadow. But seriously, when you have 500 cubes HP is not difficult to find. It will be interesting, that's for sure. :2tu:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]Neil-UK- you like the way the trunk opens?

[/QUOTE]

no not really, just happened to be there the following morning after the launch when it was lifted

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
this is such a huge dissapointment, when i first saw the rear end i thought the taillights were taken straight off the Gen1-2 cars, and the roof, what the hell, the car is all edges and lines, and then they put curves in on the roof? where is hte continuity, the flow? what the hell is this thing? And I honestly dont know what the hell is going on with that vertical treatment orginating from the rear spoiler, it totally breaks up any visual flow the car may have had in the first place. DC is making viper guys hate the viper, sad day.

Mahesh:

You could not say it better. DC needs LOTS of help with design. First the SRT-10 and now the SRT-10 coupe. Whats next to ruin?

The Hemi Charger! Have you seen the renderings in Car and Driver? It looks like crap. They basically took a 300C and changed the grill. What happened to Tom Gales beautiful Charger that was cancelled at least 3 times. That design would still be impressive 10 years after it was shown to the public.

Wake up DC we are tired of boring cars. This isn't Germany and Chrysler is Mercedes... get some American designers back into the shop and do it like Gale and Lutz did.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Hemi Charger! Have you seen the renderings in Car and Driver? It looks like crap. They basically took a 300C and changed the grill. What happened to Tom Gales beautiful Charger that was cancelled at least 3 times. That design would still be impressive 10 years after it was shown to the public.

Wake up DC we are tired of boring cars. This isn't Germany and Chrysler is Mercedes... get some American designers back into the shop and do it like Gale and Lutz did.

Brad, you got it right! That Car & Driver Charger is horrible - not to mention the fact that it has too many doors to be a Charger.

viperrmike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Build it just like the GTS R concept and would buy it in a heartbeat. 625-650 horses would be a bonus. looks and handling with great brakes would make it a world class car. Keep the roof air duct and wing in back. May need to modify the front air splitter

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Neil-UK- you like the way the trunk opens?

[/QUOTE]

no not really, just happened to be there the following morning after the launch when it was lifted

[/QUOTE]

Hi Neil,
I was there when the Viper hatchback coupe's trunk was being lifted also.
In the pictures you put up, it didn't look too bad.
But in person..... :(
They must have done that to fit golf bags better or something, the way it opened down to the bumper in the middle (kind of like a Stratus?).
Not very muscle car / hot rod like.

Regards,
Sean

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet that the DC designers (hi Ralph!) and SRT Team members are following what you guys are saying here very closly, so keep it coming! This is your onw and only chance to influence the final version.

Thanks Steve, that's great to hear!

Dear Ralph and SRT Team,

Thank you for all your hard work. And most of all, thank you for soliciting input from the Viper Community. Here's a very popular opinion (in case you are listening to your customers):

Please produce a Coupe version of the SRT. Please model this Coupe after the proven success and popularity of the Competition Coupe body. Give us 600 HP and keep the price tag reasonable. If the street coupe resembles the images below it would guarantee a complete sellout (as long as dealers don't price gouge)and numerous promotions and bonuses for you and your team. Not to mention our undying gratitude.

2089Viper_GTS_R_Concept1.jpg

2089Viper_GTS_R_Concept2.jpg

Thank you,

Signed VCA member in good standing.
#13908 :cool:

Jcoopacr2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember walking around the GTS R concept car about 20 time, each time seeing something else I loved about it. I have 30 images of it on file. it was breathtaking. In Dallas I made one trip around the blue coupe, no pictures.Very dissapointed. Very dissapointed. Back to the drawing board guys. :(

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember walking around the GTS R concept car about 20 time, each time seeing something else I loved about it. I have 30 images of it on file. it was breathtaking. In Dallas I made one trip around the blue coupe, no pictures.Very dissapointed. Very dissapointed. Back to the drawing board guys. :(

Care to share those pictures??

ShadowFox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please produce a Coupe version of the SRT. Please model this Coupe after the proven success and popularity of the Competition Coupe body. Give us 600 HP and keep the price tag reasonable. If the street coupe resembles the images below it would guarantee a complete sellout (as long as dealers don't price gouge)and numerous promotions and bonuses for you and your team. Not to mention our undying gratitude.

2089Viper_GTS_R_Concept1.jpg

2089Viper_GTS_R_Concept2.jpg

Thank you,

Signed VCA member in good standing.
#13908 :cool:

[/QUOTE]

Great post!! Reminds me when kids ask Santa to bring them the toy they always wanted!! I think we all need to ask Santa this Christmas for that nice Red Toy we all dream off : )

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the SRT looks better as a convertible.. I happen to like the lines and look of the ragtop...the flow is better than the new coupe...I will hold judgement on the coupe until I see it up close, but I think I will put the Roe S/C on my 96 GTS and keep it....AL...

ShadowFox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its weird when I go here “RT/10 and GTS Discussions” everyone is very, very disappointed of the new coupe and they wants the GTS-R or the CC. But when I go to the “SRT-10 and VGX Discussions” everyone has mix feelings the either like it a lot or they like it even better if the made a few adjustments (suspension, rear stretch etc.)

DC does have a tuff situation deciding which viper to put in production stages. Would the new viper would retain their current customers or attract new ones.

Only time will tell…

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very weird! I'd say that if DC is looking at the 'opinions' they would be very confused.
I am.

I like all FOUR Viper styles.

Did any GenI owners come out and say "I think the GenII GTS coupe is crap?" back in 95?

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very weird! I'd say that if DC is looking at the 'opinions' they would be very confused.
I am.

I like all FOUR Viper styles.

Did any GenI owners come out and say "I think the GenII GTS coupe is crap?" back in 95?
Bite your tongue that would never happen!!! :smirk:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperfreak2 --

That's the whole point! The GTS design was so good that no one could come out with such a statement. That's what we're saying about the new coupe -- it should take your breath away, whether it is based upon the Comp Coupe, the GTSR, a mixture of past designs, or whatever.

You Gen III guys shouldn't have thin skins. I don't think that those of us that are disappointed with the VOI Concept Coupe are critical of the Gen III -- we're just critical of the way Dodge just crudely stuck two unrelated body clips together without any thought toward an integrated design.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe it or not there were detractors back in 1995 regarding the coupe. As I recall the scuttlebutt was with regards to the Viper becoming too civilized. Electric windows, adjustable pedals, rear exhaust, etc. I remember clearly buying my 1995 RT/10 because I did not want to miss an original sidepipe car with the '96 RT/10 coming (course the paint schemes in '96 were "different" as well).

As I have a strong preference for an open car I was not drawn to the GTS at all. But the GTS lost some of the extreme low and wide appearance of the RT/10 which some prefer. In the end you will find opinions that differ on just about anything.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give it a rest Ron when the GTS came out people when ape sh** over it!!! The fact that DuPont Registry rated the GTS (yes not the RT-10) as the 3rd best sports car of the century proves my point. I think the RT-10 was in the top 20 though. Yeah I like that my GTS is narrow in apperance and you can even go off-roading in it because it's an inch off the ground. You always have to throw a jab at the GTS and i'm sick of it!!!

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me, I don't really care where the Viper is heading to.
I thought they killed the whole Viper "theme" when they went to rear exhaust, power windows/locks, ect...
I bought a Viper back in 94 and thought this will be one exclusive car because who is going to buy a car with no windows, ect... basically a fair weather car? And they were to quit making them after the first couple years for more exclusivety. Well, so much for all of that, because now Viper attracts a wide range of people and they're still being produced.
I remember back in 94, my Viper would provoke fights. Don't think that happens now.

Don't get me wrong, I like the new Vipers but they threw the original theme out the window. BARE KNUCKLED, UNBRIDLED, CRUDE, BACK TO THE BASICS, NO FRILLS, IN YOUR FACE MUSCLE CAR!!!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not there were detractors back in 1995 regarding the coupe.

I can see that, but you're referring to two different types of owner when discussing the RT/GTS designs. On side loved the blatant performance, open top feel, the other liked the all-weather, go anywhere at 180mph style. I personally would have never stepped foot into a GTS but I happened into a deal I couldn't refuse (not that I didn't like the GTS, I just preferred the primordial look and feel of the original.) With this coupe you have both types badly criticizing the fact it doesn't seem impressive nor exclusive. In fact, I think the only other type left to impress is the Vette owners - which strikes me odd since I didn't think we needed to in the first place.

The fact of the matter is - HP aside - this is the car we're getting because of two critical CC faults - 1) too low to the ground ~ raising it would make it look like this coupe - 2) to add interior comforts the seat has to be raised and the raising results in a high roof line ~ to straighten this roof-line would result in a bus-looking sports car. All that's left now for me is the hope that the GenV is designed by an American who understands that "cab-forward" and "V10" should never have been mixed.

If I ever get to a point where an $80k+ car is in my future I'll just save up some more and buy the Ford. At least those guys seem to know how to properly mirror a racecar to the streets.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How we all have such different tastes and opinions, I loved the new coupe and thought that putting the double bubble top on helped tie the two generation coupes together. I even liked the wide stripes on the car. My coupe needs to be lowered so I don't think that the height of the new coupe is a problem either.
jrkermode is right on.

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it was nice. It really would look better in red with white stripes. I was hoping for a streetable Comp Coupe style. It felt kind of C6ish to me. I think it needs the roof scoop. It needs a front splitter, rear wing and 625 H.P. (like the SEMA SRT-10). O- ya and red with white stripes ;)

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think it looks good at all. I would not buy one unless it comes out looking like the comp coupe. I guess I'll have to stick with my GTS. If it is truly that ugly then the value of our GTSs will go up! :2tu:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give it a rest Ron when the GTS came out people when ape sh** over it!!! The fact that DuPont Registry rated the GTS (yes not the RT-10) as the 3rd best sports car of the century proves my point. I think the RT-10 was in the top 20 though. Yeah I like that my GTS is narrow in apperance and you can even go off-roading in it because it's an inch off the ground. You always have to throw a jab at the GTS and i'm sick of it!!!

I said nothing negative about the GTS (style)in my post. Reread it. What I said was there were detractors regarding the new coupe because it was getting too civilized. I was standing there when Lutz was describing the addition of electric windows, Connolly leather, etc and the owners that were around him were shaking their heads. Now that owner group bought their cars because they wanted the back to basics approach of the original RT/10. There were even some back then that objected to A/C being an option. I personally wanted more technology, as long as it aided performance, but without losing the character of the car. Civility was not then and is not now a priority with me.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I said nothing negative about the GTS (style)in my post. Reread it. What I said was there were detractors regarding the new coupe because it was getting too civilized. I was standing there when Lutz was describing the addition of electric windows, Connolly leather, etc and the owners that were around him were shaking their heads. Now that owner group bought their cars because they wanted the back to basics approach of the original RT/10. There were even some back then that objected to A/C being an option. I personally wanted more technology, as long as it aided performance, but without losing the character of the car. Civility was not then and is not now a priority with me.

Ron,

Back then, people may have argued about the Viper "philosophy". Heck, if we were arguing about traction control, cup holders, or automatic climate control, etc... this would not make-or-break my decision to buy. Sure, I don't want these things, but you give me GTS-R styling with 600+ HP for under 100K, and I'M IN seat warmers and all!!!! Where I'm not in is when the styling is so-so. Personally, if I'm going to spend nearing 100 g's for a car, it HAS TO BE JAW DROPPING GORGEOUS! After nearly 4 years of ownership with my Gen II GTS, I STILL STARE AT THE CAR AND SAY, "HOLY SH*T, THAT IS BAD AS*". Pardon my French. Am I the crazy one, or do you folks agree?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32