new viper here tomorrow, nervous @ driving-any tips?

bcrl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our car is arriving here tomorrow morning. After reading many of the posted topics over the past month, I am getting nervous about driving it! Is it hard to drive? Are there any tips I need to know? It has been many years since I drove a stick shift and that car definitely did not have the viper's power! Also, I see many of you mentioning how it is hard to keep the viper on the road--is this true? If so, what do I need to know in advance. I am referring to basic driving on local highways and streets--not any type of racing. My husband is not nervous like I am, but I'm sure he could use some pointers too!
cool.gif
embarass.gif

OP
OP
B

bcrl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is a 1999 RT/10, black/cognac with 4500 miles, both tops. My husband told me ..."a guy my age (48) NEEDS a car like this!" I decided it was not worth fighting over , so decided to get into it too <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eng12:
Congards on the new car. What year is it? As far as driving goes take it easy at first this is no Toyota make sure the front wheels are pointed in the direction you wont to go If you launch hard MAKE SURE YOU ARE GOING STRAIT. For the most part the car is not that hard to drive just treat it with respect you you will do fine.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
CONGRATS !
The Year Matters....... Are you getting a new Viper? 1992-1995 were very "darty".....a situation fixed w/ suspenson and tire changes in 1996 and later. "Gen-II" cars are one-handed drivers, whereas Gen-I were 2-handed drivers.

BE CAREFUL with the gas pedal. Roll-on the power, with the symbolic raw egg underfoot. Be sure you are pointed in a straight line before going wide-open throttle.

Do adjust the pedals (IF you are getting a 1996.5+) and the seatback tilt, and the steering wheel. Adding 490 lb-ft of torque will push you away from controls, so have them set correctly.

IF you are getting a brand-new car, break it in VERY conservatively and carefully, as per manual instructions.
You will find your owners manual and a video behind the rear seat, deep in a carpet-pocket. Hard to find.

Don't worry about the yellow upshift light. Ignore it, and DON'T shift when it is illuminated.

Join VCA (1-800-998-1110) Attend PIR-Portland 9/28. Spectate/ride for free. 2 events per year at Spokane raceway !

When you get ready for accessories, please give me a call ?

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you will both enjoy owning and driving the car. Vipers have lots of performance, but are not as difficult to drive as some of the car magazines say. Just take it easy at first, and you will be fine.

Have fun!

Jim

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and get ready to have fun and be noticed more than you had ever wanted to be. I got my first Viper in 95 , and only drove it in the neighborhood for a couple of days before taking it out. That was a Gen 1 which was a little more of an adventure to drive but even the new ones (I have a 00 GTS) ain't no minivans. When you take that right hand turn out of the subdivision and give it the gas you might give your daily driver , you'll know what I mean. The gawk issue is a mixed bag, which is made up of nice people who will give you a thumbs up , kids whose lips you can read saying" oh my God, a Viper!" as well as idiots who flip you the bird, speed up on your bumper, etc. In 95 I thought "this won't last once people see enough of them" --but I'm here to report that the gawk factor is as big as everIn this regard , don't trust your mirrors, people innocently, or otherewise, will stay in your blind spot looking at the car. HAVE FUN

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy does it until you are confident. You will be smiling for a long time! Going to be hard to sleep tonight.

Congrats. Best of luck.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I did forget and this is not a commercial----Do call Jon B when you have a question. This will save you time and money. He is now in "the business", but I called him for yrs when he was not and the response has always been the same. He has a genuine interest in people having as much fun with Vipers as he does which is unrelated to personal profit. I have lost track of the times he has helped me over the last 6 yrs. Dodge should put his number in the owners' manual. TMB

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best way to learn is to pull the wires off alternating spark plugs and keep the emergency brake on till you feel comfortable. Then you can take the training wheels off and join us at Willow Springs where you can enjoy passing Mumford and Adelberg.

Reaction score
Welcome to Viperholics of the web. You have purchased a Great car, congratulations!

Ownership suggestions:

Join your local VCA today

Call Skip Barber (800 221-1131) tomorrow (and have your VCA info ready to qualify for a 25% discount on their 2 day school) and schedule the first 2 day school for both of you.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a few laps around the block find a open parking lot and slow down in first gear, turn the wheels and step on it! After the smoke clears you will have an idea of how easy it is to spin out! This is vary important to know. This is what will get most drivers in trouble. It dose take a while to learn to drive.
Fred is right, Find a driving school near you.
Have fun! And drive safe.

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gtsviper:
The best way to learn is to pull the wires off alternating spark plugs and keep the emergency brake on till you feel comfortable. Then you can take the training wheels off and join us at Willow Springs where you can enjoy passing Mumford and Adelberg.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Congrats on the new car.. there is good advice here.. except for pulling wires..
biggrin.gif

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If it's a new Snake, and you follow the break-in instructions to the letter, you will automatically be in a "safe zone" as you will NOT be able to do any aggressive driving.

And, similar to what the EPA used to suggest for increased gas mileage ....

Make believe there's an egg on the accelerator ... and when you depress the pedal, try not to break it.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll be getting wrinkles in your face from grinning so much. If you didn't get the operating tips videptape e-mail me your address and I'll send you a copy free. I'm sending a bunch out to other board members Monday so e-mail me by then. Anybody else wanting one the offer is good till Monday.

Reaction score
Since your car is used there is no engine break-in required only Driver Break-In. Driver Software System (the stuff that connects your eyes to your hands, feet and butt) re-booting is also required. For the last Three years in the Spring (when the Snakes start to come out to play ) our VCA region has contracted the SCCA for a Viper autocross school. Each year we have had over 30 drivers and many repeat the autocross school.

This year we had our 2nd Viper Specific Skip Barber one day school (both organized by Terri Angen). This Performance Driving program has more Viper seat time than any other performance driving school in the world. This program is limited to 20 drivers and both schools (last year and a couple weeks ago) were full. Many wanted to repeat the school but there were so many new VCA members who have never taken a school that the 4 or 5 who would have re-peated gave up their slots to the new members. Every member (4-5) I spoke with loved this school.

It would be great if every region could organize a Viper specific school for your members. If your region is to small join another region. These programs are not listed on the Skip Barber schedule as they are corporate programs and customized for us.

Basics Look Ahead - at where you want to go not where you are

The most critical relationship to understand and control is the relationship between the tires and road surface. Contact Patch control is very critical and not exceeding the grip between the patch and road.

Performance Driving, a Viper, is really fun and takes practice and lessons like any sport.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by viperdrummer:
----Do call Jon B when you have a question. This will save you time and money. He is now in "the business", but I called him for yrs when he was not and the response has always been the same. He has a genuine interest in people having as much fun with Vipers as he does which is unrelated to personal profit. I have lost track of the times he has helped me over the last 6 yrs. Dodge should put his number in the owners' manual. TMB
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow.....I am both grateful and embarassed. Thanks, TMB! But my number in the Owners manual ?? Could ruin my evenings.......

The "new guy" is even in my region, and I HOPE she/he lets me take them around PIR on 9/28 in my Viper -or his- at our next track day. Free, of course. He has YET to reply to my invite, but your post should motivate him. Thanks again......very much.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a copy of the information TSB from the dealer regarding the recommended break in procedure for your engine. Learn it...live it. Get the oil changed sometime between 150-200 miles. Check the oil level often. Read the owners manual and learn all the features of the car. As far as driving tips, " a man's gotta' know his limitations". dj

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Jenkins:
Get a copy of the information TSB from the dealer regarding the recommended break in procedure for your engine. Learn it...live it. Get the oil changed sometime between 150-200 miles. Check the oil level often. Read the owners manual and learn all the features of the car. As far as driving tips, " a man's gotta' know his limitations". dj

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave it is a '99. What 'break in' are you recommending?