New Viper Owner

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a new Viper owner I must say, I am quite impressed with these cars.... However all these ********* discussions about how fast they are, is amusing to me. Don't get me wrong, I think they are quick for a street car.... However, a fast drag car, I don't think so... I have owned many drag cars that where much faster then my Venom 600 Viper. And a whole lot less expensive to fix when they break. I have had two big block Mustangs that were in SuperFord and Muscle Mustangs Magazines(both were street cars)One with a 429 with 150hp NOS, 273 rear gear and would run 9.90 @137 and One with a Stroker 514 CI with 350 gears and NOS 150 shot that would run 8.80 @153. I also owned The car that held the title of the Worlds Fastest AMX from 1985 thru 1999 Big Block Chevy 468 CI... 8.30@160 1.14 60 ft. So, as far as fast cars go I think the Viper is quick and fun.... Not an all out drag car as some seem to think! That's just my opinion and I'm sure some of you will have some flames to say about my comments, So be it.... All that being said, I love my Viper.. I just wont be calling it the fastest car out there!
Some of my other cars:
1996 Lamborghini Diablo-Replica (Just sold It)
1948 Anglia - Blown 502 Chevy-1190 HP (Still have)
1980 Capri - 514 ci 800 HP 750 ft.lbs Torque. 10.80 No NOS
G-60-15 M&H streetmaster tire. Just sold it.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee,

all the other cars you speak of I am sure were highly modified plus NOS. I'm sure you can throw more money into that Venom and make it as fast if not faster than the others. But what does it matter? As soon as you make a car fast, there's someone out there always willing to put more money into a car and make it faster than yours. Peace!

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree but, My Venom 600 is highly modified (514 ci Stroker ect) And it cost more as a stock car then most of the other cars cost modified.....

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet your cars do not have A/C and can be driven in 110 degree tempature all day long while still getting 21 gallons on the interstate. The viper is fast when compared to other cars that fit similiar luxuries.Top fuel Dragster owners would say the cars you mentioned are not fast but "quick and fun". Its all relative!!!

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Lee. There are a number of other drag racers around here, you'll be right at home. I agree there are better designs for a drag car. But wait till you get that Viper out on a road coures. Going in a straight line at 150 mph through a speed trap can't compare to 150-170 going into a corner
You must be registered for see images
. But now you have the best of all world, straight line rockets and a road course killer. Life is good!

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the contrary, Both the 9.90 Mustang and the 10.80 Capri had A/C and could run in 110 temps all day. As far as luxuries go, I don't see what luxuries you are talking about... No outside door handles or a ride that will jar your teeth, Or maybe no roll up widows? No they didn't get 21 gallons to the mile as (you said)But, the 9.90 car got 16 mpg. I knew some would take my post the wrong way, I said I like the car and the look..... I just don't think they are as fast as some think.... And, they are very costly to buy or modify......Lee

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Paul, I'm not really knocking the Viper.... I have one! these are just observations. As far as cornering I'm sure it will go around them faster then my other cars could... Lee

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is taking you the wrong way. You stated your honest opinion and they are just stating theirs. Anyway, cost really shouldn't factor into the original post and into the discussion. Cost is a factor of supply and demand, and that drives the cost of both car and extras sky high. Those tuners have to make up for development and there just aren't a lot of Vipers out there. True it's not the fastest car out there, but it's pretty fast for stock. Just enjoy what ya got.

Reaction score
Jon:

You are priceless!!

Lee: As others have said I don't think anyone took your post wrong although I've NEVER heard anyone here say the Viper was the fastest car in the world...although if you would have asked the 4 motorcyclist on the Ba*^%$e bridge in FL on Saturday night doing about 140 when I went by them at about 168mph I'm sure they would have said "....don't know what it was, but had some da*^ big tail lights and it's the fastest car in the world"..."I need another pair of pants".

All for fun!

ScottP

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In regards to your last post. Mine has power windows and door handles. 800 horsepower with A/C and does not over heat while getting 16 miles per gallon Capri. Does Chrysler know you are available? Just kidding but your Capri is slow compared to real drag cars and it is not even comparable to a viper in looks,reliability,handling. If you pull up to the valet in a Capri all they will give you is a job application and some kitty litter for when you park. You can not compare the two. Now a big block gremlin with tubs that runs a 8 second quarter mile yes thats comparable to you Capri.

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy, you guys really told me..... However the Capri your talking about was not a drag car...And looks will only get you so far! The AMX was a drag car and there is not a Viper on the planet That would run with it..... Drag car are not! And that Fiero thingy, Well it wasn't white... And it has been to many car shows and parked in with all the Vipers and garnered the lion share of the attention. As far as looks the Diablo wins hands down.. No contest! Again, I like my Viper but, I don't make it out to be something it's not..

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When it was garnering the lions share of attention did you hear a lot of " who would do this?"
The Capri has 800 horsepower and you drag raced it to 10.80. So I called it a drag car. I did read your post but left my drag racing dictionary at home sorry! A viper is a balance of power handling and heavy curb appeal. You can not compare the cars you are mentioning.The viper is very fast considering it goes 12.2 quarter and 192 top end (stock) with reliability and looks. You are just looking at one catagory quarter mile. Any body can spend money and make a chevette fast. But you can not spend money on a Capri or a fiero and make it look better than a viper. No matter what you do you still have a fiero and a Capri. Enjoy your viper and at least respect the balance the viper has to offer.

Reaction score
It's too bad that anyone with the money can buy a Viper! It's obvious from the list of cars you had, that sophistication is not something you think is important. No one on this board can help you, do you're self a favor "SELL THE VIPER". Is it too late to buy back that CAPRI!!! You could then impress all the "pimple head rice burners" with a fast car.

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You KIDS are a trip... The Viper is a fun car that runs well corners decent and looks good. Nothing more, Nothing less. And when all is said and done, it's a glorified Dodge kitcar... I'm sure it's the fastest car most of you have ever owned or ever will own, just be careful of your own inflated ego. There are a lot of cars on the street that can and will show tail lights to yours or my pride and joy and not just a 1/4 mile at a time.

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Sean. I just enjoy rattling cages..

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know if I would agree with "glorified kit car", but I do agree that there are always going to be faster cars out there, as well as a few that are better looking (very few). It would be fun to drive a black Diablo for a while, and a rip down the 1/4 mile with your AMX sounds like a hoot! However, for everyday "fun factor", I think the Viper would be hard to beat. Here is why:

Speed: Nope, certainly not the fastest out there. However, there are only a handful of factory rides that can match it's acceleration, and only one that can dominate it - the $1,000,000+ McLaren F1. The new Saleen may do some damage - at $375,000 a pop. At the drag strip, most of the cars that beat it are on trailers, need the wheels/tires swapped, or need NOS. Those that are driven in and go faster are so modified that the manufacturer wouldn't recognize the motor, much less honor any warranty. The Viper isn't the fastest, but it is about as healthy as they come in stock form.

Handling: Not the absolute best out there, but pretty darn close. Generally wins every car magazine slalom test out there, as well as a great result on the skid pad. When I first took my Viper to a road course (the 2.5 mile NASCAR circuit at Heartland Park), it was incredible. I love drag racing, but this car runs like it is on rails when you hit the twisties. Not too many cars out there that are comparable (but I hear good things about the Z06).

Looks: I might favor a black Diablo if you pressed me hard enough. Nothing else compares. You will attract a bigger crowd at the grocery store with the Viper than you will with a seven second car at the drag strip. Car shows? Unless you have a shiny new Diablo parked nearby, few cars will pull as many lookers as the Viper. There was a nice red Countach at the last show here, with few people giving it a second glance. The Viper, with it's incredibly low, wide stance, just screams MUSCLE. There are fancier, more exotic looks out there, but few look so purpose-built.

Build: I wasn't going to touch on this one, but since you mentioned the "kit car" aspect, here you go. If you haven't had an opportunity to tour CAAP (Conner Avenue Assembly Plant - where the Viper is built), then you are really missing out. The time and craftsmanship that goes into these cars is incredible. This is not a paint-by-numbers car by any means. Indeed, to experience the speed and agility of this car in any race environment, you know that the tolerances need to be exact to avoid disaster. I would be very nervous pulling a sub-15 second 1/4 mile in a kit car. I would completely avoid taking one on the twisties at any great speed. These cars take a licking and keep right on ticking. While they may lack the pedestrian comforts of cupholders, cruise control, etc., they accomplish their goals in complete style by dominating just about every car out there in factory trim.

Fun factor: This sums it all up. You can go from the drag strip to the road course, wash it off and head to a car show. In every venue you will do extremely well. You can cruise down the boulevard and turn every head that you pass. You can zip along a country road and enjoy the wind in your hair (noticed you have an RT). Of course, the rumble of the V10 at idle is inspiring, while the roar at full throttle is intoxicating. The overall result is a car that is simply a treat to own no matter where you are.

Enjoy your new Viper (love the color!) and all that it brings with it. It's no drag car, as you well know. It may not even be the most stunning car every place you go (Pebble Beach
). But you will find that there is no kit car that can come close.

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, Well written reply... I think you got the point of my original post.......Lee

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee Dove:
I think you got the point of my original post.......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely! Of course, I am also the guy that smiles and bows to the Supras that can beat me (two in town) and the same guy that would LOVE to see Clint's twin turbo Lexus in action - even if it is rapidly disappearing tail lights...

Hope to see you at one of the Viper venues or on the drag strip sometime!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P.S. Having had a four cylinder Mustang beat my Viper 11.68 to my 12.10 (or something like that), I have long since learned that nobody stays King for long (except the Wing King, another Viper regular).

Even worse, there is a video of my whupping on the Net...

Ciao!

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch..... Don't feel bad, We've all had it happen. The worst thing I remember happening to me at a race was, The announcer at MIR raceway in Maryland give me a big buildup about the Worlds Fastest AMX... Then I proceeded to over rev it in the burnout box and dropped a valve. ESPN was filming.... But, I got lucky and it never aired.......

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the worst thing that you would remember would be driving your Capri and seeing your reflection. Did the Capri come with a key or jumper cables? But I do believe in hillbilly conversions and am glad you purchased the viper. There is still hope for you yet. Remember to take the comb out of your back pocket before you sit in your new ride.
PS.
I bet its nice to be able to drive a car and not have to carry kitty litter around with you to soak up all the oil you leak!
PPS.
Tell me something when you step out of your front door are you standing on a cinder block?

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't remember starting a personal flame at you.... Why are you so insecure? If you keep messing with the bull, you will get the horn...

cmfwaic

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr Dove,

no doubt you have stirred the ***. Might i suggest you start upgrading that viper so that should you have the **** to show up at the next VOI, guys like me won't be using you for our drag race spanking video advertsiments for viper upgrades.

Im sure your Stangs didn't run 9's from the factory, as a matter of fact they couldn't run 12's with JADO rockets.

The fastest factory drag race car ever produced was a combination of 50 Hemi Barracudas and 50 Hemi darts in 1968 that still dominate Superstock NHRA classes to this day(with no Nitrous) running 8 second times at over 145 mph, i know as i have owned one.

In any case, should you wish to run with the big dogs at the viper drags, check out my website at btrviper.com. If not thats fine, but id suggest you start kitting a viper body to cover one of those stangs should you consider attending viper drag events in the future as our community is small, and you will no doubt be on the spank list.

tom

"A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush but, if in the bush a fair maiden should stand, a push in the bush is worth 2 in the hand!"....Welch

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring your wallet!!!! I've been taking money from guy's like you for years ... No need to stop now! You guys insist on turning this into a flame war then go ahead... If you want something soft I'll s&*% in your hand! Now, I've said, I like the Viper, I OWN ONE! I did not start a flame with my original post you guys are trying to turn it into one. As an owner I can say whatever I want about the cars. You guys make a big deal about how the car goes around a corner, So what and Corvette goes around them with the same skid pad numbers... The Saleen Mustangs have been pulling .98 on the skid pads since the mid 80's. And I think it's funny that the only car you guys seem to want to rag on is ONE OF THE SLOWEST ON THE LIST! By the way my Viper is a highly modified Venom 600 514 CI Stroker and like I said it's quick and fun.. But, you guys act like a bunch of Corvette owners and I've been enjoying their money for years...
I seem to have missed something on your website only found a couple of 10.40 cars, Where are the fast cars?

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Billy! (as in hill) You just do not get it! I can guarantee most people are not impressed with a fast AMX. There are faster Pintos then your car but again who cares? I am sure you have the biggest belt buckle also. Comparing a viper to one of you cars is like comparing a house on the water with a tent on the water. Sure the tents fun for one night or in your case one run down the strip. But thats it. Now your "soft in the hand line" shows us all why you were driving a fierothing. Why don't you change your screen name and try us again? Most of us on this board can afford to go out and buy a 7 or 8 second car.(re read this line again!!) Its no big deal but again why. So we can impress the next big hoedown at the local flea market. You are correct, you can say what you want but so can we. Maybe your viper purchase is a sign that it is time in your life to change your channel from Hee Haw to CNN
Remeber I am only kidding you BUT also remember more true things are said in jest!!!

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All that from a guy that spelled Remember ("remeber") Ask your Mom to give you some money so you can come to Va. And give me your money...... I'll be sure to tell you your car looked good, in My REAR VIEW MIRROR....

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Lee -

What kind of AMX was it? I know they made a few different models and I would assume it was the Javelin or variation thereof. Love to see a picture of it!

As to Tom's post, I don't think it was so much a flame as "prepping" you for the ribbing some of these other Viper guys try to dish out, especially at the drags. Tom is a good guy and is always trying to sell more of his go-fast goodies. It sounds like you already have a pretty quick Viper. He has some nice bolt-ons like exhaust upgrades and nitrous. I think his GTS runs in the low-mid 10's.

As to some of these other folks, I am sure it is largely all in fun. Some get a tad bit too defensive (or offensive, as the case may be), but I think it is because they misinterpret constructive criticism for insults. There are a few guys here that have run seven and eight second cars. Sir Hiss runs in the 8's (street legal Viper GTS) and there are a few others that run in the 9's that I know of. Your AMX and Capri would destroy the vast majority of Vipers in a ¼ mile run, and it is easier for some to insult those cars than admit the Viper isn't the ultimate machine - even though the venue is very narrow.

Eager to hear more as you run your Viper from time to time. I hope you live in a warmer climate where you can get some ¼ mile runs in. I would love to see your timeslips and see what I have to work towards! Take care.

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chris, I'm just having a little fun with these guys... The AMX is a little shorter then the Javelin.(Two seat car) Mine was stretched from 99 in wheelbase to 110. The 48 Anglia with slicks would run around 7.60's in the qtr. if you could keep it on the ground. It Was Dupont paints calender car June 94. Blown 502 Chevy(Kline Engine) 1190 hp 2200 lb. car = FAST. This car is a streetrod not a race car. This post really got off the mark since it started..... And, this is for those other guys, I traded the Capri they are makeing fun of for this Viper. I'll email you some pictures of the Anglia and Amx if I can find some to scan.......Lee

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"mess with the bull and you'll get the horns" Grandpa is that you??? ooh good one. Got me. Whew!
Relax! I am just joking. Sorry if I hit a sore spot. I love Capri's. Good luck with your viper. Tell me its not a Fieroiper and gets the lions share of attention?
PS
Remember ther is two types of attention
1) Hey look. Cool!!
and
2) WHAT THE F... is that????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave