New Viper Owner

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure thats where you get your money( your mother) but unlike you I actually work and visit the dentist twice a year. You traded your Capri for a viper? What did you get 2 emblems and a seat buckle. Hey put that in your fiero and you will have a viperiero you know like you did with your diabloiero!
By the way its not constructive criticism everyone on this board knows a stock viper runs low 12s, But for you to talk down the viper because you made some $100 car go fast is ridiculous.I Know you will look back in your rear view mirror and take my money but thank god you looked in the mirror and saw what the hell you have been bragging about and bought a viper.
BBM.

OP
OP
L

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not negative about the car.... I just don't have tunnel vision like a lot of these guys do.. Thanks, The 48 is not for sale.....

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon
There isnt a web page for $100 go fast cars they comunicate by mail!
Lee's post and comparisons are dumb(lack of a better adjective) but it is also a little fun. I have owned 9 second cars and am use to this mentality. By your posts lee it does seem plausable the you do not own a viper but who knows or cares? Its all for fun! Thanks lee I have enjoyed the polemics.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So does that mean this stream is done?!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Lee's original intention was to note the fact that maybe he, like a lot of us if we were willing to tell the truth, expected a bit more power from our stock Vipers when we bought them. I'll admit I was a tad disappointed. But that always happens when you hear about a legend of any kind and then realize that nothing can live up to what your expectations have built up to.

You have to admit that a 10 cylinder with nearly 500 cu. in. of engine should be downright scary. I certainly am not a knowledgeable car buff by any stretch of the imagination but even if you look at bike, a lot of them get beyond 1 hp per cubic inch. What I don't understand is why an 8 cyl hemi could push a car down the track into the 7 second range while a stock Viper engine can do it in 12 or so. I realize the Hemi was probably heavily modified but don't we have a couple more cylinders to work with here and big displacement?

Sorry to continue to stir the *** but I've never found a good answer to why the Viper isn't closer to 650 HP stock and have some of the engine taken advantage of. When I sold my Porsche and brought my Viper to the German mechanic that used to work on my 911 he was very flattering of the car but had one criticism "...with such an enormous engine, this thing should have 800 horsepower."

Lee, I think I got the point of your original message but like in any posts or emails, without hearing someone speak and seeing the facial expressions things often get taken out of context and then it is just a downward spiral from there.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Sounds like we need a recount. Since everyone seems intent on extolling the virtues of the Viper, let me add this: I know what fun it is to go to the dragstrip, but why so many people bring in a $70,000 stock vehicle amazes me.

The Viper is a lot of things, but by definition a sports car. Endurance and reliability is an important key to why Vipers have dominated the 12 and 24 hour races in the ultimate test.

If God had meant us to drive in a straight line we wouldn't have power steering!
You must be registered for see images

Mamba man steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hull, Ma. summer /Delray Beach Fl. winter
I have watched this thread progress for weeks. I have owned and still do street rods that will go in the 9's. they are not a lot a fun to drive. they are finicky at best don't like sitting still at lights ( my 40 weights 3700) so it takes more hp to get it going. The Viper I have coming will get a major up grade also. Now as to the drag strip how do you drive a Viper on slicks and narrow fronts to it. There is no way of getting the power to the road(so to speak) I might just decide to leave it stock and enjoy going slower, and also driving around the track at a more moderate speeeeed.

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phiebert:
So does that mean this stream is done?!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Lee's original intention was to note the fact that maybe he, like a lot of us if we were willing to tell the truth, expected a bit more power from our stock Vipers when we bought them. I'll admit I was a tad disappointed. But that always happens when you hear about a legend of any kind and then realize that nothing can live up to what your expectations have built up to.

You have to admit that a 10 cylinder with nearly 500 cu. in. of engine should be downright scary. I certainly am not a knowledgeable car buff by any stretch of the imagination but even if you look at bike, a lot of them get beyond 1 hp per cubic inch. What I don't understand is why an 8 cyl hemi could push a car down the track into the 7 second range while a stock Viper engine can do it in 12 or so. I realize the Hemi was probably heavily modified but don't we have a couple more cylinders to work with here and big displacement?

Sorry to continue to stir the *** but I've never found a good answer to why the Viper isn't closer to 650 HP stock and have some of the engine taken advantage of. When I sold my Porsche and brought my Viper to the German mechanic that used to work on my 911 he was very flattering of the car but had one criticism "...with such an enormous engine, this thing should have 800 horsepower."

Lee, I think I got the point of your original message but like in any posts or emails, without hearing someone speak and seeing the facial expressions things often get taken out of context and then it is just a downward spiral from there.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
&gt; Good point about a "big motor that should make more horsepower."

But, compared to WHAT in STOCK form?

I often pondered on the circumstances of that big motor.... Chrysler has one of the most sophisticated electronics systems in the industry. The Viper computer was built to DE-tune the engine to conform to so many regulations that set today's EPA standards (thx to Uncle Sam). An all aluminum Viper engine with a compression ratio of 9.6 certainly could have been 10.0 - 10.6 like the Corvettes, and when you really tip the hat, what about the rear muffler the Viper sports on the rear to conform to DB regulations?

*The margin for powers there, It's just in a subtle DE-tuned form.

There is one thing out of a couple nimble things I would like to have seen the Viper equipped with ... roller rockers.

Good Day,
Doug

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I told the guy with the Supra that wanted to race. I don't have anything to prove. We both know that at 150 or 160 (what ever speed wind removes the hood from your ricer) if I'm not ahead of you at that poing I'll pass you then.

I can't believe you guys have given this post as much play as you have.

Just My .02
Charlie

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456