Newbie - Buying a Viper

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Traded my 94 RT this past summer for a 97 GTS and couldn't be happier!! I love both cars and it really comes down to personal preference. Have fun making your decision and let me know if I can help.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a Gen I RT/10 and drive it everyday. That's what I did... yeah that's the ticket!

I went around and around. I am into roadsters so I went with the RT/10.

For year, I liked the 1996 because it has the Gen II chassis and suspension, but does not have airbags (something to break) and does not have ABS (something else to break). One down side is the 1996 has the GEN I engine......

Now if Sean Roe can just get the supercharger system for Gen I..... I will be set.

Lance

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry937:
I would like to stay around the 45K-55K range. After reading some posting, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shop the heck out of it and you should be able to find a 2002 low mileage GTS for the high end of your range within the next month or so.

Good hunting and be patient! The people on this forum have "Viper Fever". You can find someone (not on this board) who bought one on impulse and wants to let it go or take advantage of someone's desperation.

The sad reality is the prices are falling so fast, if you find one, there will be another for cheaper a week later.

Carl

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For pure toy that will be mostly street driven, I like the RT/10. For track I would get a GTS, though other than aerodynamics, there isn't any difference between the RT/10 and the GTS even for that. The GTS / ACR has 10 more hp that can easily be gained on the standard car from a intake tube and filter modification and the ACR has a stiffer suspension that would probably be better for the track and rougher for the street. Also ACR's were lighter due to deleteing things like fog lights and radio, but most buyers got an optional package that added these things back in anyway.

There is a good info area on this site that lists the differences by model year. The things that I would think about in model year differences are:

GEN II (97 and newer RT/10 and all GTS) have significant changes to the car. You can look up the details, but GEN II cars are the way I would go. GEN I are still great cars, but I like the advances made with the GEN II.

'98 and newer RT/10's (all GTS's) have duct in the hood and vents over the front wheels in the hood - I like this look

'99 and newer have 18" wheels

'99 and older have forged pistons and slightly more aggressive cam

'01 and newer have ABS

Probably the biggest decision other than RT/10 vs GTS is what color! Normally this is the last thing on my list when buying a car, but to me the differences are so slight in the GEN II cars that color can be a discriminator. This is especially true since you can probably find any year car that you like in any color made that year, with very low miles.

I went with the RT/10 because I love the ability to drive with an open top, but I think I would have been very happy with GTS as well.

Good luck with your hunt and decision.

FRANK RT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LARRY GREAT CHOICE TO GET A VIPER I HAVE HAD THREE AND AM ABOUT TO GET NUMBER FOUR. I HAVE A 94 RT/10 RED WITH BOTH HARD TOP AND SOFT NO MODS ALL ORIGINAL WITH 7400 MILES I NEED TO SELL THIS ONE BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR. BEST OFFER OVER $36K TAKES IT. [email protected]

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked the same question about a year ago...

I think the deciding factor is how often you're on the track. If you're SERIOUS about racing, GTS is the way to go. If you want to feel the wind in your hair or the "flash" factor, I think the RT is better.

The local club recommended 97 or newer, as I was insistant on power windows (I think windows should be in the doors, not in the trunk).

One of them recommended SAVING my money 'till I could afford a 2001 with ABS. Having driven a '94 and a '01, I'm telling you ABS is REALLY nice on or off the track.

End result - they're all nice, and with the economy in the toilet, you can find a good deal if you're willing to travel a little to find the car. ***Have a Viper Mechanic look at it before your buy.***

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I expect that if you did a search you would find a large number of different opinions, but here is my opinion:

1. Buy the lowest miles most recent car that you can. For $45-$55K, that will probably mean a '97 to '99 car. Dodge made incremental improvements to the car each year, but all of the Gen 2 cars (97 and later) are very solid.

2. If you want a toy for sunny days, get the RT. If you want something a bit more weatherproof or plan to spend time at the track, get the GTS.

3. If this will be your only car then get a Corvette. It has cruise control, ABS, a glove box, and cup holders.

4. A Viper is not an investment. No it isn't. NO. IT. ISN'T. It will almost never be worth more than you paid for it, regardless of how collectible the model or year.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Agree with andy om most.

Buy the bst condition, lowest mile 1996-99 GTS and some tooth-whitening gel, since you will be grinning like a maniac most of the time