Next Open Road Race August 5th SHOW UP and drive fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Golder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure if you have ever heard of open road races or not but I have raced in them almost since their inception. I currently run a Tony Stewart Winston Cup car at these events. I used to run my Viper. They are run on public highways that are closed for the day. They average 100 miles in length. Vipers are able to average 150 miles per hour with a top speed tech of 165 mph (never exceed). All you need is 5 point harness (or two sets if you have someone ride along) and your personal safety gear (suit gloves). If you want to average less than 120 all you need is helmet and gloves. The last races I averaged 198.99 mph and 187.4 mph with a top speed of 233.7 mph. We have every kind of car imaginable out there. If any of the cars have a full weld in cage they are eligible to run unlimited ... as fast as they can go. We used to Max out the field every race but because of the economy they are having a few problems filling the field. The cost is $295 for up to 115 average, $395.00 to about 130 average I think and $495 to 150 average. To run unlimited is $595.00. You can "practice" the day before for only $50.00 and run all day. You can't beat it and what a thrill.

We would love it if some of you all would come to our next event. I am 99% sure I can get all club members who are not yet signed up a substantial discount maybe 20% or so and even get them to offer a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied you can have 100% of your cash back. Of course that does mean if you break down, just that you will have a blast at the event. Nothing like doing 90 miles in 27 minutes. Our next race is August 5th. It is pretty much a 3 day deal. Best to get up there Thursday night and we have a banquet Sunday night after the race. For any class other than unlimited, you try to average as close to your target speed (say 150mph) as you can. The next race is in Elko Nevada between Reno, NV and Salt Lake. People come from all over the world to do this.

I would love to get some of your guys involved. If you know anyone who might be interested have them e-mail me or call me and I will fill them in on the details.

The website is www.openroadracing.com There you find the rules etc.

Here are a couple of other links ... this is for the last race results and radar speeds. http://www.openroadracing.com/CARSGeneral/results_whole.htm

These are great roads and you are able to practice, and great people to hang with. It looks like we may have a group of 25 Lamborghini's there also.

Thanks for your time or if you would like any more info please feel free to call.

Regards,

Dave Golder
936-597-5347

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
D

Dave Golder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon guys,

Have 5 guys already hooked up from the corvette forum and three from the Audi forum and zero here. Why do we always have 60 vettes and 2 or 3 vipers. Let's show them what we got!

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave
Isn't it amazing how on the Viper board everyone TALKS
speed but when it comes right down to it how FEW
really step up?????????????????????

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes John as they said last year at the Silverstate invocation...
"May God bless this event and may you all go out
and drive these cars the way God intended..AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

brett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. Hennessey, now now. Let's not pick on those lacking the cajones to drive their car @ speed. Some people just don't like to see the scenery wizz by at an alarming rate, and well....some of us are addicted to it. There really isn't an in-between.

I dumped the Vipers, but I'm sure I can give it a go in the '01 M3. I enjoyed the Ely events in the Viper and it'll be more like a Sunday drive at speed in Bimmer. No roll bar so I think they limit me to 140 mph. Are you going to be there?

Signed,

The Golf Guy

p.s. Tell 'em about the hookers.

OP
OP
D

Dave Golder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Smokes!... We got our first Viper Guy. Thanks John D.

C'mon now Wayne and show up. You will love this road. You can still haul *** but lot's and lots of turns.

Dave

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Dave,

I'd like to come out and do that event, but driving 2,200 miles from Florida to drive 90 miles and not make any prize money doesn't work out too well for me
smile.gif
. If I were within an 8 hour drive, it would commit to it. Certainly for those in the area, it is a must do. I've been in racing for 15 years and have never had an opportunity to do those events.

Speed thrills.

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave Just bought my "Temporary Viper Replacement" last week.
It is a new Porsche Turbo. Black of course. I already
have 1000 miles on it. The break-in (which I'm actually
following) is 1800 miles.I will be racing it just not yet. Modify it? I don't know? IT could benefit from another 200 HP but I understand
a new turbo engine from Porsche is 50K!!!!!!!!!!!
I Am pausing at having to eat one.In the Viper 12000
or less for new crate engine...........what a deal
that is!!!! Haven't figured out how to squeeze one in the Porsche!!

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
August 5th..........

@#$*%@#$^#

I thought the Silver State and just about everything else was sold out for a year!

...and I was getting around to crashing Road America! (Courtney say by all means! Kuel!)

FYI, I bot Wayne's Bad Viper just to do NV stuff....

However, it still bites my a$$ that I could legally drive a car on the Autobahn as fast as it would go - and I mean F50's, Lambos, F1's, whatever.

I look at the open RR as an autobahn substitute... which is really simply for me , just going for a ride.

(NOTE: What's the big deal? I mean I had mine going 135 on the way to Sebring from Okeechobee following a viper friend - passing cars and Porsches and at that speed, the experience is quite relaxing. Seriously, I wouldn't hesitate to eat a ham sandwich at 135 if the road was deserted. And you know what... I don't think I had my seat belt on. I kinda' like the freedom. I guess that makes me a criminal....)

And with all this safety equipment requirements... in Mexico??? - I mean even in the Mexican Baja open RR's..... Do lawyers run Mexico too?

I guess I had better get used to wearing skirts.......
bounce.gif

Let's see, how is my brain supposed to work:

"I'm so terribly scared. Cars are so dangerous - anything could happen. I need cars to be made safe and slowed down to the slowest possible speeds so that I won't get hurt. People who drive aggressively must be taken off the roads so I can be safe. I want the children ............ and teenage drivers to ............ If I were to get hurt, then (blah blah blah blah.......... If someone were to (blah blah blah.........) If a Large Turtle might (blah blah blah..... and if Chickens ever (blah blah blah...... [Good, the convulsions and drool have started.......
bounce.gif

OP
OP
D

Dave Golder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

You are right... things do happen. I had one dear friend killed in one of these races a few years ago... lost another one last year and one who broke about every bone in his lower body.

These are not just 20 second blasts. Think about someplace 90 miles from you and how long it takes to get there. I did it in 27 minutes last race.

Dave

dmora

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bad viper:
Dave
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like supra guys! I'll dyno race you!!!
Id love to get in on this... I might need to get a harness and work some serious overtime... i'd like to get in on the unlimited class... i think i could break 190.
smile.gif

dmora

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bad viper:
Dave
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like supra guys! I'll dyno race you!!!
Id love to get in on this... I might need to get a harness and work some serious overtime... i'd like to get in on the unlimited class... i think i could break 190.
smile.gif

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel...The promoter of the Silver State just stepped up from his Supra to a Viper. Said he got tired of just running flat out all the time.

As far as the Autobahn as the place to run flat out. On my last trip to Germany I received a $100 ticket for driving too fast on the "supposed unlimited speed" Autobahn. Serious officer said must always drive at "safe speeds" Safe speeds are determined by officer and community.

Most Autobahns are two lanes each way, and speeds severly limited by traffic and construction.

You need to pay much higher attention when traveling these roads. No distracted driving allowed.
They take their automotive transportation systems much more seriously than over here. Ausfart!

While a fun driving over there it was not the "religions experience" other have alluded to.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, I have nothing but the highest respect for Dave, Wayne, John, and any of the people involved with Open RR. However, with no adult supervision, I don't know when to be quite! (PS. What follows is Silver State stuff and not CARS.)

Suggestions for rules change to Open RR

1) Designate one stretch of straight, level, open road where every entrant can try their top speed. A radar certificate would be issued. Class speed limits would apply everywhere else.

2) Allow a class for showroom stock cars. These cars would not be modified in any way - including safety equipment. Drivers could be required to wear helmets/suits/etc.

With that out of the way, here is a long discussion of my opinion of this venue .....

<u>Warning: Due to High Pressure Venting the following should not be read by any person past, present, or future....and especially chickens.</u>

<u>However, on second thought, you should at least read the Exceeding Tech Speed Rules copied directly from the SilverState web site - that are most interesting!!</u>

I was already aware of the limitations of the Autobahn.

My only point is that a person in Germany can get on this road and in certain areas undercertain conditions enjoy their car.

The Silver State at first glimpse appeared to be just that.

I was so excited that finally, I could enjoy HiPo cars at least a couple of days a year!
bounce.gif

However, upon further inspection, it was just another race event. In fact, it's not even a race, but a time/distance ralley - unless you are an unlimited! (Perhaps this is why the authorities have gone along with it.)

<u>There are numerous vehicle and driver requirements.</u>

<u>If you want to enter a stock Viper, you can run the 150 Touring class with a 165 Tech speed.</u>

What is a Tech speed? Well, it is the maximum you ever achieve on the course. What happens if you exceed it? Well, what does a Speeding Ticket sound like:
laugh.gif

E. NEVER EXCEED YOUR TECH SPEED · · · · · · · · You may never at anytime while on the course exceed your tech speed, period. Even the slightest infraction of this rule will result in severe penalties. The penalties will be as follows:

1. At the direction of the event officials you will be arrested by the Lincoln County Sheriff Deputies at the Finish Line;, given a speeding citation for whatever speed you were going in a 70 mph zone.
2. Your vehicle may be impounded.

3. You will be disqualified from the event.

4. You may be barred from the event for 5 years; and,

5. You will not be given your radar speed or your average speed.

6. Anything else we can think of to ruin your day.

Again, there are some places in Germany where ......... yeah, yeah, I know .... I'll put a lid on it!

Well that sure was a big disappointment.
crying.gif

Then there is the car. For the 150 Touring class all you have to do to your Viper is install a

1) fire extinguisher in a quick disconnect mount and a
2) safety harness.

So you have to drill some holes in your Viper. Now some people will refuse to deface their cars. So that is the end of that. (So what does it cost to ship your Viper to .....[OK OK I'll Stop!])

If you choose to continue, you need a suit/gloves/socks and a .GE. SA90 helmet & shatterproff eyeprotection.

But there still is a problem... stock Vipers exceed 165 mph.

So if you want to drive your stock Viper near its potential, you have to step up to the Super Sport class. Here, your speed class is 160 or 170 with a tech speed of 180. (The 170 class is very difficult because you are trying for a 170 mph average but can only go 180 to make up time!:burn
smile.gif
And this is what you have to do to your car (in addition):

1) Full Cage,
2) Fire suppression system,
3) Harness less than 2 yrs old,
4) Padded steering hub w/collapsable column (don't know Viper has this),
5) Helmet .GE. SA95 w/shatterproof eyeprotection,
6) Driveshaft forward loop.

So much for your stock Viper ....

So you say, the heck with it, I'll just run unlimited and go for it.
bounce.gif

Well guess what, you can't. The 1st rule of unlimited is that you have to have done a class where you averaged 165 or high or receive a waiver. I don't know what is involved to get the waiver, however, with all the rules so far, it probably is not easy.

So after you have done a couple of these and are now qualified, now to the additional car modifications:

1) Competition fire system,
2) Fuel cell,
3) Engine restraints

and that about does it.

As you can see, there is a lot more to it than simply driving your car fast on a public road.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I can drive my car at Road America without drilling any holes in it and all I have to do is wear a helmet!

At any rate, I'll still attempt to do these events, however, it appears that the CARS events are MUCH BETTER because you have MUCH MORE TIME to practice at speed!
bounce.gif

All done - pressure relieved!

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the problems I see with the Silver State RR.

Suggestions for rules change:

1) Designate one stretch of straight, level, open road where every entrant can try their top speed. A radar certificate would be issued. Class speed limits would apply everywhere else.

2) Allow a class for showroom stock cars. These cars would not be modified in any way - including safety equipment. Drivers could be required to wear helmets/suits/etc.

With that out of the way, here is a discussion of what is required to enter your Viper in the SS.

The Silver State may sound like a substitute for a trip to Germany, however, upon further inspection, it was just another race event. In fact, it's not even a race, but a time/distance ralley - unless you are an unlimited!

<u>There are numerous vehicle and driver requirements.</u>

<u>If you want to enter a stock Viper, you can run the 150 Touring class with a 165 Tech speed.</u>

What is a Tech speed? Well, it is the maximum you ever achieve on the course. What happens if you exceed it? This is Ver Serious Business! Well, what does a Speeding Ticket sound like:
laugh.gif

E. NEVER EXCEED YOUR TECH SPEED · · · · · · · · You may never at anytime while on the course exceed your tech speed, period. Even the slightest infraction of this rule will result in severe penalties. The penalties will be as follows:

1. At the direction of the event officials you will be arrested by the Lincoln County Sheriff Deputies at the Finish Line;, given a speeding citation for whatever speed you were going in a 70 mph zone.
2. Your vehicle may be impounded.

3. You will be disqualified from the event.

4. You may be barred from the event for 5 years; and,

5. You will not be given your radar speed or your average speed.

6. Anything else we can think of to ruin your day.

Then there is the car. For the 150 Touring class all you have to do to your Viper is install a

1) fire extinguisher in a quick disconnect mount and a
2) safety harness.

So you have to drill some holes in your Viper. Now some people will refuse to deface their cars. So that is the end of it for those people.

If you choose to continue, you need a suit/gloves/socks and a .GE. SA90 helmet & shatterproff eyeprotection.

But there still is a problem... stock Vipers exceed 165 mph.

So if you want to drive your stock Viper near its potential, you have to step up to the Super Sport class. Here, your speed class is 160 or 170 with a tech speed of 180. (The 170 class is very difficult because you are trying for a 170 mph average but can only go 180 to make up time!)
BURNOUT.gif
And this is what you have to do to your car (in addition):

1) Full Cage,
2) Fire suppression system,
3) Harness less than 2 yrs old,
4) Padded steering hub w/collapsable column (don't know Viper has this),
5) Helmet .GE. SA95 w/shatterproof eyeprotection,
6) Driveshaft forward loop.

So much for your stock Viper ....

So you say, the heck with it, I'll just run unlimited and go for it.
bounce.gif

The 1st rule of unlimited is that you have to have done a class where you averaged 165 or high or receive a waiver.

Once you are qualified you can move onto the additional car modifications:

1) Competition fire system,
2) Fuel cell,
3) Engine restraints

and that about does it.

As you can see, there is a lot more to it than simply driving your car fast on a public road.

It is a lot of work to enter one of these and drive a Viper to its potential.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well now I've done it.

I posted twice. The first one appeared to get lost in the computer, so I wrote a second one that was less inflammatory since I was cooling off.

Sooooooooo.... Let's Vote on Your Favorite Version!
bounce.gif

Volume Turned Way Up (#1) -OR- Volume Turned Way Down (#2)

Actually, if anyone takes the time to read both, I should buy them a beer. If you happen to read this first, do yourself a favor and only read the 2nd one if you care to.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rules, rules, rules. I appreciate the folks that put this on. These types of things are a lot of work. But the **** rules. No doubt insurance, government and of course the lawyers are to blame for all the rules.

I will no doubt go to one of these someday, but only when I can be assured that no cop is going to impound my car or give me a ticket because I inadvertently exceeded my tech limit. Heck, if they're gonna do that, why stop?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

Maybe I'll see you at one of the easter viper days events.

H ell, we can split a 6-pack before we take to the track!

.... bring yer guns too!

OP
OP
D

Dave Golder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well guys I just got back from the race. All went well with us as we set a new course record at a little over 181 mph average. Sad news is that their were 26 corvettes and 1 Viper. Not very good turnout by us.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang