Nitrous Bottle Size and Location to Allow Access to Spare Tire

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 GTS (heads, cam, exhaust) had a bottle bolted to the spare tire cover (!) - I took that out as soon as I saw that.

Seems everyone has one or two bottles inclined over the spare tire.

So the only real option would be some kind of short, fat bottle to tuck by the fenders - perhaps two of them, one on each side.

Even a spherical bottle might be efficient if they are available. Or maybe a manifold of multiple motorcycle bottles (filling = UGH!)

But I haven't been able to find any pics of layouts that allow access to the spare.

NOTE: Still have to save some space for a methanol injection for supercharger if I go that route too.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, its not really about the spare - it's about where to put the flat tire w/wheel!

I was thinking it may be possible to put an angled ("negative" camber from aft view) bottle bottom at the quarter panel and top at the hatch opening.

I'm really only thinking about this because the car has the setup for it. The thought of keeping a bottle full (Royal PITA) makes me cringe (too much responsibility.)

But it is the cheapest way to get some HP. The thought of a "sleepy" 600 rwhp blower or just heads/cam would be the way to do it. (I drove a 625 rwhp NA RT in West Palm Beach FL and it was frustrating trying to find any place to put that HP to the pavement - 3rd was loosey goosey, so only in 4th would the car hook 100%. Maybe in Montana somewhere...)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i cant imagine driving a viper on a donut. thats what AAA is for. call and get a flatbed home IMO. dont it a few times myself

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i cant imagine driving a viper on a donut. thats what AAA is for. call and get a flatbed home IMO. dont it a few times myself

HaHa - I did and for many days. I lost a rear MXX3 due to negligence (low pressure) so I had to use the donut to get the car home. The other tires were at least 50% and there was no way to match a new one since the MXX3 is discontinued. I searched everywhere trying to find a used MXX3 and finally found one. The car was on the donut for about 1.5 weeks while I searched until I had to leave NV back to PA. After I left, the used tire came and my friend got it mounted. When I came back next year, had to drive it from the hanger to the house on a donut yet again where finally I could put the replacement on.

I don't know what should be done in that situation. Maybe buy 2 new rears and sell off the used one.

I have pics of the donut on the rear. They are hideous.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave