Nitto Invo tires for Gen III - Gen IV - Speed rating issue!

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well looking at the Nitto Invo tires for my 2006 and noticed something interesting

Front
275/35ZR-18 99W
(Only a W speed rating of up to 168MPH)

Rear
345/30R-19 105Y
(Y speed rating up to and exceeding 186MPH)

Big question here is WHY would they make the fronts only W rated and the rears Y rated?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well looking at the Nitto Invo tires for my 2006 and noticed something interesting

Front
275/35ZR-18 99W
(Only a W speed rating of up to 168MPH)

Rear
345/30R-19 105Y
(Y speed rating up to and exceeding 186MPH)

Big question here is WHY would they make the fronts only W rated and the rears Y rated?

Well, they didn't necessarily make that size specifically for the Viper. That large rear tire only fits on a handful of cars, and they are all performance-oriented, thus the obvious speed rating

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I guess it is disappointing that if one decides to go with the tires you would be limited to the "w" speed rating due to the fronts. Apparently for some reason Nitto doesn't make "y" rated tires to match.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys have run over 200 mph on 15" 165 wide VW tires at the dragstrip. Tire ratings are based on a very strenuous test criteria that lasts several hours straight at that mph rating. Most cars only see quick bursts of speed, tires really never get hot enough to come apart.

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I guess it is disappointing that if one decides to go with the tires you would be limited to the "w" speed rating due to the fronts.
When were you planing to do 168MPH anyway? Even if this was a desire for an owner, lets say on a autocross event where speeds of that caliber could be reached, would anyone pick a Nitto Invo to do so? Most would in trust on a better tire to begin with, the Nitto Invo is a great street tire for street purpose. I don't see anyone hitting 168MPH on the street.

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bigsalgt; I don't see anyone hitting 168MPH on the street.[/quote said:
Wow, are you serious? All of my "fast" cars get exercised beyond 168mph quite often. Granted it helps when you can see whats ahead for a few miles! Maybe you need to move to the middle of nowhere like me!;)

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The two numbers prior to the speed symbol are the load index....and they have just as much to do with the top speed rating as the last digit. The nitto you're talking about is limited to a sustained 168mph with 1,565lbs. of weight carried by that single tire. Also...is the speed symbol in paranthesis or all by itself? ie... W or (W) The speed symbol in parenthesis has a higher speed capability. Now since a single rear tire on our cars do not carry that much weight the capability of the tire to go above 168mph is guaranteed, but I doubt you'll hear a manufacturer tell you at what point a tire will explode carrying a certain weight for a specific length of time...gotta have some cushion for lawsuits and what-not.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Most would in trust on a better tire to begin with, the Nitto Invo is a great street tire for street purpose. I don't see anyone hitting 168MPH on the street.

I had my nittos above 155mph on an interstate with no issues whatsoever....all while vacationing in Mexico of course. :2tu:

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, the Invos were horrible when I tracked my GTS with them. If you plan on doing any track days with you car, I would avoid them.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
FWIW, the Invos were horrible when I tracked my GTS with them. If you plan on doing any track days with you car, I would avoid them.

I agree......I only drove em once, that was enuf. Decent straight-line tire.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had put a set of NITTO Invo on my '05. Terrible tire!

I really do like the Kuhmo Ecta XS I got from JON B. awhile back.

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...Autocross/Roadcourse event where speeds of that caliber could be reached...
...I don't see anyone hitting 168MPH on the street.

Wow, are you serious? All of my "fast" cars get exercised beyond 168mph quite often. Granted it helps when you can see whats ahead for a few miles! Maybe you need to move to the middle of nowhere like me!;)
Am I serious? Are you serious is a better question? If your doing anywhere near 168MPH on the STREET, once again, STREET in your "Fast" cars, then I think you have more issues then what your speed rating on your tires are! Besides you having ample space where you live, hitting an animal at those speeds is going to be an instant death. I'm not judging you nor am I attempting to mother you, but unless it's at a track, those speeds are just insane. :dunno:

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree......I only drove em once, that was enuf. Decent straight-line tire.

I had put a set of NITTO Invo on my '05. Terrible tire! I really do like the Kuhmo Ecta XS I got from JON B. awhile back.

Have to agree 100%! I have them on my 360 Forged Split 7's on the Viper, also had them on my ZO6. Street tire at best, anything else, autocross/roadcourse/track, I would intrust in a better overall tire.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am on my second set and love them for the street. They also performed well down the 1/4 when heated. I don't road race so I will defer to those above.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tracked the Invo tires on two different cars. They work just fine for street tires, better than OEM run-flat junk. Still my favorite tire for street cars.

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put them on my 08...I hope they are a good street tire!

I let you know what I think about them once a get a few miles on them.

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I serious? Are you serious is a better question? If your doing anywhere near 168MPH on the STREET, once again, STREET in your "Fast" cars, then I think you have more issues then what your speed rating on your tires are! Besides you having ample space where you live, hitting an animal at those speeds is going to be an instant death. I'm not judging you nor am I attempting to mother you, but unless it's at a track, those speeds are just insane. :dunno:

I road raced motorcycles (on tracks) for 10 years and I saw 180-190 mph many times at some of the bigger tracks like Road America. I have seen deer, geese, snakes, ground hogs and turkeys hit by racers on the track! So going fast on the track still has it's moving hazards for sure. I once hit (3) deer on the interstate while doing 75 mph in a Ford Escape and even though the small SUV didn't look so nice I was no worse for the wear! I always try to do my fastest driving only after pre-running the section I plan to do it on. And finally, I buy these cars to really drive them not to be a poser trying to look cool. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone this type of activity but I am prepared to pay the penalty if something goes wrong.
No offense taken. ;)

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I road raced motorcycles (on tracks) for 10 years and I saw 180-190 mph many times at some of the bigger tracks like Road America. I have seen deer, geese, snakes, ground hogs and turkeys hit by racers on the track! So going fast on the track still has it's moving hazards for sure. I once hit (3) deer on the interstate while doing 75 mph in a Ford Escape and even though the small SUV didn't look so nice I was no worse for the wear! I always try to do my fastest driving only after pre-running the section I plan to do it on. And finally, I buy these cars to really drive them not to be a poser trying to look cool. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone this type of activity but I am prepared to pay the penalty if something goes wrong.
No offense taken. ;)
Fastguy, I'm all for driving these vehicles the way they were meant to be driven. The track has it's dangers just like the street, however we are talking about a controlled environment vs an unknown one. I wasn't trying to offend you, questioning your speed addiction yes :headbang:, however not offend you. If the street is for you, the Invo's are great. For highspeed runs at the TRACK, there are better!